What's on your Thanksgiving Day menu?

klipschaholik

Me, I've got the turkey taking a brine bath tonight in prep for a date with the peanut oil hot tub tomorrow; sweet potato casserole with pecan topping, green bean casserole with those fried onions on top, corn bread dressing, oyster dressing, steamed apsaragus, creamed pearl onions, giblet gravy, cranberries, a few bottles of pino noir and pumpkin and pecan pie! MMmm good

Just made the sweet potato casserole. I volunteered and this was my first attempt. Just to be sure it is good I put in two shots of Makers Mark. I hope the chefs on the food channel are wrong when they say the alcohol burns off leaving just the flavor. I had rather the flavor burn off leaving the alcohol[;)]

Nonsense Dee....you and the misses pack up the station wagon and come on over and eat with us. Friends don't let forum buds eat at Cracker Barrell on thanksgiving. Turkey roulade, dressing, butterbeans, asparagus, real cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole with a touch of bourbon and sweet potato biscuits. See you about 7:00.

Ok, bare with me...I am entirely too full to list this in any kind of meaningful order but here is a sample of Dtel Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner:

Turkey (2 @15 lbs each--leftovers will be added to a pot of homemade gumbo)

Homemade baked mac n cheeze (2 pans)

Artichoke casserole (2 pans)

Green bean casserole (2 pans)

Cornbread dressing (2 pans)

Creamed cauliflower (2 pans)

Rice and gravy (2 pans)

Corn (2 casserole dishes)

Peas (2 casserole dishes)

Asparagus

*** Salad

Cranberry Sauce

Brownies topped with mini Hershey Kisses

**DISCLAIMER: The Dtel family is not responsible for injuries related to overeating.**

I kinda think the Cracker Barrel is not a bad idea. If it is cold outside, the real fireplace is an added bonus. When the food is right, it is great.

By brother-in-law usually does a turkey in his smoker, but his wife brought the bird home and it was something like 26 pounds, and wouldn't fit. They took it to a place close to home that would do the smoking for them, at so much per pound. He went and picked it up today and they had it all sliced and ready to go. They did a wonderful job with it.

The rest was the usual - green beans, creamed corn casserole, dressing, pickled okra, pumpkin/banana bread... I know I'm missing something... apple pie, pecan pie, ice cream

Ice cold Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat or some nice white wines (different varieties).

It was ALL good.

Brined and braised 23 pounder

Italian sausage, leeks, raison, sage white bread stuffing (cooked inside the bird)

Green bean casserole

Candied carrots

Mashed taters

Gravy made with apricot nectar

Home made buns (pain in the rear)

Pumpkin Moose pie (hard to fit that bastard in there too)

Cherry pie

Butter pecan pie

Vanilla Ice cream. homemade 4 days ago.

dtel, I want the recipe for the artichoke casserole please.......

This guy was brined in a mixture of honey, salt and chicken stock then smoked for 7 hours with cherry and apple wood.

First timed I've brined. Very moist and tender but with some saltiness I attribute to a 14 hour soak. Next time I'll cut the brining time in half.

post-14801-13819353837548_thumb.jpg

CECAA850,

We ALMOST got a Turducken this year. I really wanted to but we chickened out (no pun intended). Maybe next year. How was it? Did you prepare it yourself or buy it ready to cook? They look incredible. Please advise!!!!

The turkey was great though. We spatchcocked it for the first time (cut out the backbone for a more even cooking temp between the white & dark meat - sort of flattens out the bird). Works really well but makes the stuffing a little trickier. Mashed potato casserole prepared in advance. Uses cream cheese & sour cream. Very rich. Cranberry sauce and sauteed asparagus with mushrooms and pearl onions. Apple pie and the famous Powers family chocolate pudding pie for dessert. Lots of whipped cream of course.

Plenty of leftovers. There were only five of us this year. Our kids came home and my mother joined us. It was a great day. No fights or anything which I believe is a first for us!

My mother actually really cheated and brought some boston market set with a precooked turkey and just microwave food.... I know its heresy but it turned out well. The turkey was okay and the stuffing etc that came with it was good enough. My mother works at the post office and worked the day before. my brother works 16 hour days, I just got back from college after exams.... no one wanted to cook or prepare which meant no fighting! a first also like garymd.

Oh also wanted a turducken but we didn't do it. Also they are quite expensive!