entry level tube cd player

masterxela

I have dean g'd rf-7's and a denon receiver. I think I'm going to stay with ss amplification, and get a dedicated one someday, but would like to experiment with a tube source.

Any thoughts are very welcome. I know NOTHING about tubes.

Suggested reading, brand names, prices, everything.

Thanks

Alex

Original Rega Planet is not a tube player but I A/B mine regularly with my Heart modified Marantz CD6000 tube player and it's pretty darn "tubey" - used they go for $300.

The Heart CD6000 can be had for $300 or so if you're patient.

Well wonderfully sounding devices, in my experience they are prone to losing their laser and most if not all are at the end of their useful life so reluctantly I would suggest staying away from the Planets.

Thebes is correct about the laser and he is correct about the sound.

I bought my Planet from a forum member who did not disclose that the laser was shot and also shipped it without the remote. $175 worth of material, labor and shipping got me a new laser. $75 got me a new remote. So the cost of original Rega Planet ownership is between $300 and $550.

BTW, the Planet was my first and only bad experience buying used components from Klipsch forum members. I have bought near 20 items from Klipsch forum members with just this one bad experience.

I use the ShengYa tube CDP. Extreme quality build with the best of components. This is the manufacturer of Vincent. Same CDP for about a third of the price. It's my second one now. Built like a tank, HDCD, SACD, Upsampler,......

The only thing needed is a bit of rolling on the 6922s for a great sound.

http://www.nysound.com/exec/servlet/CategoryServlet?action=shopping&category=2112

Harry

Do ya'll really think that $300-$500 spent on a tube-based cd player is going to get better results than spending the same on a $300-$500 tube integrated?

Interesting question. I think it would depend on the quality of the current amplifier already in the system.

I would agree with synthfreek that a tube based integrated will probably be more noticeable than a tube CDP alone. Plus, buying a used CDP is rarely if ever a good idea. As we have mentioned, CDP's laers have finite lives. I have gone through way too many cd players to ever consider buying one used. About the only way I wuld evef consider it is if I absolutely HAD to have that model, and I knew that replacement transports were available reasonably. Otherwise I would always look for a new one.

However, a used tube integrated would be a perfectly sound and viable choice. Antique Sound Labs is one that can be found pretty reasonably on the used market- check ebay and audiogon. Or perhaps someone on the forum has one they don't need anymore.

-Jon

I'm running straight off my denon avr-1907. I had a crown xti 2000 hooked up for a while, didn't notice a difference. If anything it added a buzz/hiss I didn't like, (might have been something else crappy upstream, art clean box, my source)

I turned to the cdp before a tube integrated because I don't have a decent source, actually considering a normal cdp over a tube integrated probably

I'm running compressed mp3's off the digital out from my computer. Not good. Crappy integrated sound card.

Thanks for the info on used cdp's, I've never read about the lasers going out.

I'm a little skeptical about doing anything more audio wise until I'm in a better room though- just seems like a waste. (Will be 2 years from now)

Also, I was laying in bed last night thinking about a round/oval room. Could standing waves form like they do in rectangular rooms? Seems promising having not read any good technical articles on the idea.

I'm still a little confused. Do you not have a cdp at all? Are you using your computer to play cds? I would bet most people here would agree that a $50 dvd player used as a source with a $350 tube integrated would give you a truer representation of the "tube sound" than a $400 tube cd player and your current setup.

Hit Craigslist for a older vintage cdp. Make a budget of 25-50 bucks.That's about the going rate for a entry-level new DVD player that could last a few years.

Just pay attention to the unit before you buy it. If it's all wore out looking and dirty looking, it probably is wore out. If it look's clean and new, it may have probably had low use. Try to listen to it and try the functions controls before buying if you can.

Pay attention to model # of the vintage cdp. Most are junk, some are not. I located a Pioneer PD-7100 cdp local for 30 bucks off Craigslist. I asked the guy many questions on the phone. It was a low-use unit, looked minty, and had the manual and remote.

The Pioneer's transport is nice and quiet, built nice and stout, 13 pounds, and with real feet. I have a Rega Planet from 1997. The transport clicks and clunks, and is about toast. Unless you find one NIB, the Rega Planet days are passe....

I had a Toshiba 3950 DVD player I bought new for 50 bucks. It lasted 2 years before the audio/video quality died, and it was wore out. The transport always had a bit of click noise. I bet the 1989 Pioneer will last another two years. If not, it was only 30 bucks....

Sound quality-wise, all three units mentioned sound really good with redbook cd's. It's just reliability factor. The Toshiba more or less just starting sounding really bad and glitchy. The Rega Planet still sounds fine, but the transport is worn out and noisy.

I guess I'll eventually find out how long the Pioneer fares.

A entry-level DVD player is a good option still.

As we have mentioned, CDP's laers have finite lives. I have gone through way too many cd players to ever consider buying one used. About the only way I wuld evef consider it is if I absolutely HAD to have that model, and I knew that replacement transports were available reasonably. Otherwise I would always look for a new one.

-Jon

I think I may be one of the lucky ones. My Sony X555ES is 17 years old and still going strong. They did build them a little better back then.