Satellite TV providers

lo123

I currently have Charter for digital TV and internet in the St. Louis area (St. Charles county). My bill will increase from $80/month to $114/month in January. Time for a change.

Looking at options for the TV signal. What experiences have people in the St. Louis area had with the two main player, Dish and DirecTV? Our local phone company has a phone/internet hi-speed/satellite TV bundle that is probably around what Charter wants just for TV and internet now. Any recommendations or bad experiences for the two satellite TV providers?

I hate to add a dish and more wiring to my house, but Charter has just priced themselves out of the market.

I've used both DirecTV and DishNetwork. They are pretty much indistinguishable in my experience.

Originally a DirecT customer, I changed to Dish in order to get local channels. Some years hence, changed back to DirecT because I preferred their base channel package. At the time with Dish, second tier programming was required to receive Fox news. Didn't think it was worth paying extra for it.

Last time I checked DirecTV had signifcantly more HD channels. Other than that, I agree with DD. Either beat cable, though when I had satellite I keep cable internet for a variety of reasons.

I also consider switching back from time to time. Better technology, lower costs.

Dave

I'm a DTV person. My understanding is if you prefer a wealth of movies, then Dish might be a better choice. If on the other hand you prefer more sports, then DTV might be a better choice. For me it was a no brainer because DTV has the NFL package.

They are indeed, adding more HD channels right now. My understanding is they just put a new bird in the sky that came online and they have yet ANOTHER new one flying that is going to be online "shortly" (maybe it already is for all I know) and supposedly near double their number of HD channels.

I've never had Dish so I'm biased [:)]

James is right

If you EVER need to call them, just sit down & expect it to take no less than 15 minutes for the most simple of issues AND expect to hang up generally irritated at best and flaming angry being the more typical.

The only reason I deal with that crap (and it IS a pile of crap) is the NFL ticket.

Their customer service motto seems to be "how can I not help you & otherwise irritate you today??"

James is right

If you EVER need to call them, just sit down & expect it to take no less than 15 minutes for the most simple of issues AND expect to hang up generally irritated at best and flaming angry being the more typical.

The only reason I deal with that crap (and it IS a pile of crap) is the NFL ticket.

Their customer service motto seems to be "how can I not help you & otherwise irritate you today??"

*GENERALLY SPEAKING:

Yes DISH NETWORK will have the overall better "customer service experience" and can actually resolve more issues regarding harware/software than DirecTv over the phone. Dish , technically speaking is a more detailed platform from top to bottom, which gives one more "user friendly" flexibility, on the receiving end, from the more advanced "bells and whistles" aspect of the indoor equipment.Future upgrades can be had via satellite downloads, thereby postponing, at some point the need for an equipment upgrade. Dish is usually the more aggressive player(of the 2) and usually drives advances, and can never be counted out in this battle of, 1 ups-manship.Can recommend their HD DVR.

DirecTv, while first out of the gate, has not had the luxury of resting upon their laurels, as Dish has been the complete & constant competitor(some would say adversary) from the get-go. Direct's customer service has actually improved(?) over the last few years. Frustration can be had readily, in the Direct CSR's lack (some say basics) of knowing their system, and the ability to resolve customer issues over the phone. When technical support personnel are otherwise occupied, a typical Dish CSR can often time resolve reception/technical problems. Direct's new *Slimline dish for HD/Local(Ku,Ka) is a much improved and stable design than their initial attempt. DirecTv, with competition in the marketplace, has had to keep up with the consumer experience, albeit at an added cost, in not totally just "getting it."

OVERALL: Both Direct or Dish deliver, but it is up to the consumer to decide after educating themselves on the programming, equipment, and the fine print of the contracts, which system is the best for them. Both systems can and typically do offer years of trouble free service. It is when the chips are down, that all the subtleties between the 2 can become all too apparent.

CONCLUSION: Enter VOOM! If this service had survived, it would be driving the market for HD programming, as initially they were able to provide 35 channels of HD content. Without VOOM, the attention was slow on the uptake to shoot for the stars, in giving all those unused HDTV's a job to do.

DISCLOSURE: I have no ties or affiliations with either service provider presently. Opinions offered are my own observations, and are formed solely for the purpose of trying to convey my own opinions. That in mind, I readily concede that generally speaking, there are without any doubt whatsoever, many fine and intricate **exceptions.** Tradeoff's do rule here so do your homework, and welcome to the "Wonderful World of Satellite"!

So far, Dish seems to be getting more favorable press. Driving around my subdivision, most if not all antennas have the DirecTV logo. Maybe it's the NFL package, not so much an item in my family.

Looking at the tradeoffs for hi-speed internet, digital (non-HD at this time) TV and phone service, I have been researching the various "bundles". Boy, this is worse than shopping for a new car. Bottom line seems to be that since my promotional period has expired with Charter for the hi-speed internet and dig TV, I do not qualify for one of their bundles since I can only add one service,namely my landline phone. To qualify for a bundle I have to be a non-customer for 90 days. My wife will not do without the TV stations she has grown accustomed to for a 90 day outage period, so I have to stay with Charter or go with one of the satellite providers. Goes downhill from there with 12 month contract, 18 month contracts, etc. My favorite so far is fine print on the local phone company mailing for hi-speed internet for 12 months at $15/month. Turns out it is low-high speed, namely 256 Kbps. But it gets better. To actually get the $15/month rate I have to extend another 12 months at $25/month or pay a penalty. That takes the cake.

If not for the wife I'd pull the plug on everything for 90 days every 12 months and stay with the Charter service that is already wired into my home. Looking at the cost tradeoffs, though for the near term, I cannot get anything to provide a big savings (like $50/month) unless I constantly plan to rotate between providers periodically. Avoided this issue for years but now we're spoiled so I guess we're stuck with the bill in one form or another.

If money was the only factor in my house, this would be a great time to get back into vinyl, don't think that would have a good WAF versus the cable TV stations......

have you talked with them and asked them if they would rather lose a customer than offer you a deal on a package???...sometimes that works for someone who actually is in the customer service business but not for those who "read off the card."...good luck.

Bill

A good idea to try as you are worth $ to them. Not convenient depending on location, but a good face to face can sometime do the trick.

Another thing, if you go satellite they will probably lose you forever! They do not like it that they are not always the only game in town!

My guru buddy just signed up with Time Warner and got the Digital cable package, phone service, and road runner at 6 meg speed for less than the satellite /phone company/DSL cost. He had the old DSL 1.5 meg speed and the wired phone line with theDish network. He said they give you a special modem for the phone serivice (24/7) without requiring the use of your computer.

JJK

I played all the cards except "I'm about to jump ship to satellite" and got an offer for the charter cable phone service at a discount rate for six months instead of the promo three months. Asking multiple ways how I could qualify for the current advertised specials just got the same answer - be a non-customer for 90 days so you can qualify.

I'll probably wait a month or so and get this decision out past the holidays. Easier to consider alternatives when you're not in a panic mode for changing service providers during a family gathering intensive period. Maybe the supervisory chain will give me more leeway when I do call back, however I get the impression that Charter basically wants to hook you and then charge you the higher rate forever. Probably about the same as the satellite service when the special promo rate expires. I checked the satellite offerings by level of service versus what I get with just non-HD Charter digital now. I would have to upgrade into the third or fourth satellite tier to get a couple of channels we get now. So, some tradeoffs for early in 2008. Thanks for all the constructive comments and suggestions.