Harmony Remotes

damonrpayne

The Learning function of my Pronto Neo seems to be letting me down lately. It seems unable to capture my Lutron dimmer remote, my projector remote, and my Dennon DVD player remote. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Creative Harmony remotes in the $300 range? I didn't see a search engine on their website one could use to look for profiles for their devices before buying.

Creative Harmony Remotes? If you are talking about those in the link above, made by Logitech, I can tell you, as a former Pronto user, I don't know why I didn't make the switch sooner. They can do pretty much anything you want them to do, and you probably won't even have to use the learn function. Really simple to program, too, and fairly foolproof to use.

You might try installing the remote software. It used to let you setup your system before asking that the remote be connected for upgrade.

These are the best remotes i've used. I got to put 6 device remotes in the drawer. Like Todd said, you won't ever use the device mode when setup properly.

I have the 629 and the 880 and I would highly recommend their products. I finally convinced my sister to make the switch to the universal remote world and she started off with the 550, which is a great remote! I set it up for her today in less than 10 minutes and it worked flawlessly. The ease of use and setup is amazing.

Amazon had the 880 on sale for $129 and for that price it is very hard to beat.

Also, it will run basically any device that has an IR sensor. I really can't recommend their product enough.

damon-I don't know anything about Harmony remotes. I am using a TX-1000 by Universal Remote which has been working very well. http://www.universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=36

It looks like you can pick them up for under $300 on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Remote-Control-TX-1000-1000-Medius-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ270198966209QQihZ017QQcategoryZ61323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-David

I have had my 880 for 2 years now and really like it. There does seem to be an issue with the charging station making good contact in order to charge. I encountered the problem myself, but logitech was really good about it. They sent me out a new charging station and that was about a year ago. Then about 5 months after that, I ran into the same problem. Once again logitech tech support was very helpful. They ordered me a 3rd charging station, but the backorder on them was so long that the went ahead and sent me a whole new remote and charging station. Now I have one station and 2 remotes, so I use one for the living room and the other in my music room. In my music room I have an older EAD and the harmony even works for that, so I must say even with the charging issues the remote itself has been fantastic.

I just got a Harmony 1000 (color touch screen) for Christmas.

Very user friendly, very easy to set up.

It controls all my devices just fine, even a DishNetwork HD DVR unit.

I believe it will control almost anything. It can learn commands from other remotes also.

So far, I love it. There's a bit of a learning curve to the touch screen as opposed to buttons, but I'm already getting used to that.

It retails for $500, but I believe Amazon is selling them for $300.

Wade

That is the 880 except they added RF capability.

Until about mid '07 they had problems with the charger cradle contacts. New production units have been fine. I bought a refurb 880 from Amazon $99 back in Oct, so I don't know if i'll have that problem or not yet. Reportedly they have been good at replacing them after a phone call. Logitech's forum is pretty good for info.

I have a 550 and two 520's and I love them. They control everything including my portable Air Conditioner and Lasko fans. The only thing that I do not like is that you have to create a different account in the software for each remote. They do not let you have a single login from which you can pick your multiple remotes from. The IR signal from the remotes is very strong as well.

Laters,

Jeff