Palladium Podcast is live

damonrpayne

Damon, badge of honor? A rogue is something that has been rejected, running loose, out of control -- and not accepted or embraced. Marketing/sales channel aspect? He said "not finished", and I definitely took that to mean, well, you know -- not finished, like what we're using ("DIY kits") is some kind of half-assed engineering effort. I really don't care all that much one way or the other, and I was really more amused by the comments than anything else.

"It has no official components, measurements, specs, design, materials, voicing, etc etc because nothing was ever finalized. That is what was meant by that, and he's right."

Amy, that's pretty much what I thought he meant. The Jubilee became "official" and "finalized" when they started being sold to consumers for home use, and it doesn't matter if they come from the cinema side or the consumer side. Now, if Roy can handle engineering the horns for the "finalized" version of the Palladium, then how are the components and horns he deems appropriate for the Jubilee considered not "finalized"? It is indeed a Klipsch finalized product, engineered by Klipsch and Delgado in Hope Arkansas -- with "components, measurements, specs, design, materials, and voicing". There is nothing "rogue" about the Jubilee, and I even have a Klipsch warranty to prove it. I'm not here to argue, I just thought Mr. Garrett's comments were insensitive to the legacy of PWK. "It doesn't count" made me smile.

All this from someone that doesn't care what other folks think about Jubs ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care about the opinions people have about the sound or asthetics, things that are a matter of taste. OTOH, I can't help but care if I think the facts are being distorted. As for not knowing what PWK would think, well, I don't agree with that either. There is a plethora of written material where he expounds on the concepts he regarded as primary and critical, with no evidence that he ever wavered -- and 50 years after the Klipschorn he was STILL working with the folded horn. With that in mind, I find it more probable and believable that he would prefer the Jubilee over the Palladium -- and I don't think that's much of a stretch.

So far only a small group of people have heard the Jubilee in its present form.... And even less have heard the Palladium... To me the interview means nothing... It will be the audition of the public that will make the final desition on weather to dance with the BEAUTY or THE BEAST.... Thank you Damon for the job you have done.

Damon, that is good stuff. As a professional writer who has conducted many interviews, I say you did well indeed.

One suggestion...for my interviews I use a boundary contact mic, a RS clone of the Crown PZM (Proximity Zone, MicI think that meant). RS no longer sells them but they are available on the secondary market, and I think the Crown PZM is still in production. The boundary mics lay on a table between the two (or more) participants and allow the subjects to have a natural, relaxed posture, since leaning into the mic is not required. It kind of disappears from the subject's field of view which is a plus. I have even used it on a cast aluminium patio table-minus glass top-on a windy porch with good results. No echoes from table bounce as with a conventional mic on a stand. PM me if you want more details.

Damon thanks for the interview!! Well done keem ém commin!!

I understand what they are saying about, putting it into my words, getting into the big league of speakers. With the Palladium Klipsch has the "6th Best" Speaker in the world and if you actually look at the price tag it is a bargan at $16,000

Taken from Audio but also crossreferenced to other "Audiophile" mags here in Germany.

1) Wilson Audio Alexandria X2 140,000

2) JBL Everest DD 66000 49,800

3) Backes BM35 56,000

4) Revel Ultima Salon2 26,800

5) Focal Grande Utopia Be 70,000

6) Klipsch Palladium P-39 F 16 ,000

7) KEF Reference 207/2 20,000

IMHO Klipsch has the widest line of speakers in every price class and all of them are of supurb quality.

Keep up the good work KLIPSCH!!![Y][Y]

Ran

Damon, that is good stuff. As a professional writer who has conducted many interviews, I say you did well indeed.

One suggestion...for my interviews I use a boundary contact mic, a RS clone of the Crown PZM (Proximity Zone, MicI think that meant). RS no longer sells them but they are available on the secondary market, and I think the Crown PZM is still in production. The boundary mics lay on a table between the two (or more) participants and allow the subjects to have a natural, relaxed posture, since leaning into the mic is not required. It kind of disappears from the subject's field of view which is a plus. I have even used it on a cast aluminium patio table-minus glass top-on a windy porch with good results. No echoes from table bounce as with a conventional mic on a stand. PM me if you want more details.

I had two microphones going into a mixing board, and the line out going into a small digital recorder. A microphone boom had the mic in between the other two guys and I was holding onto my mic. The digital recorder turned out to be the weak link, and I think the next time I do something like this it will sound far better. Can you provide a link to the mic you are suggesting so I can look at it?

• Moderators

Taken from Audio but also crossreferenced to other "Audiophile" mags here in Germany.

Hi Ran,

I actually have the full review article on the Palladium from Audio magazine, but we're lagging a bit getting it translated....have you seen it?

Not only did the the word "cosmetic" come up frequently, but several times it was mentioned that this new product was now going to let Klipsch be in the same league with a very high end market. There was almost a defensiveness about this. I find this interesting, since I always assumed that the Klipschorn, especially in the 1950s and 1960s, was generally considered to be in that small esoteric league of "high end equipment". They made it sound like Klipsch was never more than mid-fi equipment.

I am a fan a big horns and wouldn't own anything else. I had Khorns and LaScalas for 30 years and in my teens I had big bass reflexes of my own designe with Big Altec components. However I have heard good sound from other designs with and without horns, but they always fell short on dynamic range when playing a close-miked drum kit...........power compresson indeed.

I spent a lot of time in the "high end" audio stores in my youth and I have never expericed so much BS in my life. The test of time is the ultimate test for a product and people like Wilson and B&W certainly would be considered "high end" today, even with the BS and uppity attitude from some of the dealers.

I would bet a large stack of cash that the Palladiums sound wonderful and are a worthy competitior in that market. There is no reality, only PERCEPTION and that perception is fueled, in part, by the MSRP, as long as there is GOOD sound accompanying it. I considered direct radiator loudpeakers the likes of Wilson and B&W to be a step down from horns since they were not efficient and incapable of robust sound output without amplifiers like Krell, Levinson, Threshold, etc. But, the people who have the money to buy those don't really care about max. efficiency and dynamic range, sometimes bragging about the price tag takes precedence over absolute sound quality in a home environment.

I have heard the B&W 802's and they represent, in my mind, the ultimate in DR loudspeakers (along with Wilson's offereings which I have not heard). Someone on the Web said that Lucasfilm uses B&W's for monitors.

I'm glad to see Klipsch develop a product that will compete in that very specific market place and potentially trounce those "industry standards" by giveing them a similar price tag, second to none aesthetics, and a more dynamic performance. I don't think they can lose with this kind of refined product, and I'm glad to see they are doing a totally seprate distribution on them (similar to Klipsch Group, BMW owns Rolls Royce AND Mini Cooper).

Exactly ZERO people would know for absolute certain what PWK would think.

Ain't that the truth......

I think that people like Roy Delgado and Jim Hunter would know exactly what PWK would think, since they worked with him for so many years. But from the pure business perspective and a grossly oversimplified engineering one (IMHO), to PWK, the Palladium would be just a pretty, skinny, curvy, Cornwall with 3 small woofer motors instead of 1 big one. Since he designed the Cornwall as a compromise speaker, I doubt that PWK would disapprove of the Palladium.

and 50 years after the Klipschorn he was STILL working with the folded horn. With that in mind, I find it more probable and believable that he would prefer the Jubilee over the Palladium -- and I don't think that's much of a stretch.

While this was still his passion in his nineties, one can't deny that on the business side, it was the Heresy that saved the company financially by being the best "bookshelf or whatever" speaker around at the time where all other speakers kinda looked like a Heresy. I personally witnessed so many people who would get blown away by the Khorns, but walked out of the store with Heresys, which were "good enough."

It's a new world and the company has grown phenomenally with brand recogintion on the computer end of things and that can't possibly hurt the Jubilee or the Palladium.

CaludeJ1:

1) Klipsch is now the largest Mfg of loudspeakers in the world, so I think you are right in saying they've grown phenomenally.

2) In my interview with Jim Hunter, Jim stated that he "can't see how Paul wouldn't be proud" of the Palladium speakers. Take from that what you will.

One
suggestion...for my interviews I use a boundary contact mic, a RS clone
of the Crown PZM (Proximity Zone, MicI think that meant). RS no longer
sells them but they are available on the secondary market, and I think
the Crown PZM is still in production. The boundary mics lay on a table
between the two (or more) participants and allow the subjects to have a
natural, relaxed posture, since leaning into the mic is not required.
It kind of disappears from the subject's field of view which is a plus.
I have even used it on a cast aluminium patio table-minus glass top-on
a windy porch with good results. No echoes from table bounce as with a
conventional mic on a stand. PM me if you want more details.

I
had two microphones going into a mixing board, and the line out going
into a small digital recorder. A microphone boom had the mic in
between the other two guys and I was holding onto my mic. The digital
recorder turned out to be the weak link, and I think the next time I do
something like this it will sound far better. Can you provide a link
to the mic you are suggesting so I can look at it?

http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_web/pzm.htm

You
just gotta watch out for thumps (like bumping the table). It won't
damage anything, but it can be annoying. The PZM will also capture more
of the room, which may or may not be a good thing.

I generally
prefer a more directional microphone for speech because it'll give you
more of that clean radio broadcaster sound and a lower noise floor. I
actually think the mics you have right now are more than adequate (as can be heard during the intro to your podcast). I
would concentrate more on learning Audacity and learning how to get
different results with the mics you already have. If later on you
decide you will benefit from better microphone quality, then you'll be
able to make a more informed decision.

"In my interview with Jim Hunter, Jim stated that he "can't see how Paul wouldn't be proud" of the Palladium speakers. Take from that what you will."

From the interview:

"I am sure he would agree that very, very “sound” technology went into the Palladium drivers and horns in particular. A direct radiating woofer for the flagship would undoubtedly not be his first choice (surprise!), but Paul certainly availed himself of direct radiating woofers in the Heresy and Cornwall. If he let his guard down, I can’t see how he wouldn’t be impressed. As for the “extreme” Jubilee fans, I think he would be proud that his last design continues to inspire." -- Jim Hunter

One
suggestion...for my interviews I use a boundary contact mic, a RS clone
of the Crown PZM (Proximity Zone, MicI think that meant). RS no longer
sells them but they are available on the secondary market, and I think
the Crown PZM is still in production. The boundary mics lay on a table
between the two (or more) participants and allow the subjects to have a
natural, relaxed posture, since leaning into the mic is not required.
It kind of disappears from the subject's field of view which is a plus.
I have even used it on a cast aluminium patio table-minus glass top-on
a windy porch with good results. No echoes from table bounce as with a
conventional mic on a stand. PM me if you want more details.

I
had two microphones going into a mixing board, and the line out going
into a small digital recorder. A microphone boom had the mic in
between the other two guys and I was holding onto my mic. The digital
recorder turned out to be the weak link, and I think the next time I do
something like this it will sound far better. Can you provide a link
to the mic you are suggesting so I can look at it?

http://www.crownaudio.com/mic_web/pzm.htm

You
just gotta watch out for thumps (like bumping the table). It won't
damage anything, but it can be annoying. The PZM will also capture more
of the room, which may or may not be a good thing.

I generally
prefer a more directional microphone for speech because it'll give you
more of that clean radio broadcaster sound and a lower noise floor. I
actually think the mics you have right now are more than adequate (as can be heard during the intro to your podcast). I
would concentrate more on learning Audacity and learning how to get
different results with the mics you already have. If later on you
decide you will benefit from better microphone quality, then you'll be
able to make a more informed decision.

Mike, thanks for ther link. I am on the road right now and I would have to dig around for it. Your comments are all germane, but for casual interviewers I think the PZM and its clones are easier to tote and set up. The question is not really better mics per se, its what works best in a given app. The Behringer's specs are no doubt better than the RS PZM clone, but for speech and intelligiability (sp?) as opposed to "fidelity" I think the PZM is the way to go, especially where the environment cannot be controlled as it is in a studio and the interviewer must take what he can get in an interview situation.

Hi Ran,

I actually have the full review article on the Palladium from Audio magazine, but we're lagging a bit getting it translated....have you seen it?

Hi Amy,

I don´t have the full review article on the Palladium from Audio magazine but would love to see it. Do you need the entire article translated or just a part of it?? I would be glad to help if I can!

You can post it here or send a PM, I could see what I could do.

Ran

• Moderators

I don´t have the full review article on the Palladium from Audio magazine but would love to see it. Do you need the entire article translated or just a part of it?? I would be glad to help if I can!

That is a very kind offer, and I'm glad to share it with you! I replied to your email with the attachment. If you have trouble receiving it, please let me know, and thank you!!

--Amy