Forte Owners: Why have you not done a x-over replacement?

sberger

I recently purchased a pair of '89 Fortes. After playing around with room placement, they are sounding really good. However, after reading a lot here over the last week, I've been strongly considering a x-over replacement that member popbumper provides. I'm sure there are others here who have considered that, but for whatever reason decided against it. I'd love to hear from those folks as to how you came to reach your decision. Was it money, the fear of tinkering(which is part of mine), or simply that the sound from your speakers was good enough for you? This in no way is meant to put a negative spin on the upgrapde, but I'm just curious to hear from others who are satisfied with what they have.

Hope that makes sense.

And if there have been other threads like this that I'm not aware of, I'd appreciate being directed to them.

No Forte's but just got a pair of Cornwalls and considering changing crossovers, they sound good, but have the cash for the crossovers, but alittle afraid to change them myself. They are 84's and have never had the backs off ............... I'm all thumbs, but want to change them, can I do it ???????

Silversport, BEC is where I'm leaning to, just e-mailed him ............ these cornies have never been opened, don't want to hurt them !!!!!!!!

Glad to read you got your Cornwalls,*OB!

Found out here my Chorus are 89's and they sound great. Also read where mine are more expensive to x-over upgrade,repair. If it is just the caps,etc, I can do that(am sure?) although, speakers look stock, and so far I've not been curious enough to go into them......yet. X-over is on other side of binding post panel (?) and may be the same (?) on the Forte ll ???

Guessing would have to pull woofer(?) to get to.

I haven't heard ones with the upgrade, but I'm sure they sound good. Mine sound excellent without the upgrade and I don't have a lot of extra cash like some of the other high dollar members have. My extra cash is spent on other upgrades (speaker cables, interconnects, surge protector/power filter, new HDTV, all wood stereo cabininet, antenna). Get the picture? If you have it, spend it!!!!

When I got my LS, they were outfitted with the orginal AL crossovers. I didn't like them at all. John Albright loaned me a pair of ALKs to try out until I could purchased or build my own. (I still have them... and need to return them) I ended up building a pair of DHA2 constant impedance crossovers that John had designed. The difference was absolutely stunning. They don't look the prettiest, but they work just fine. Being constant impedance really helps with my lower powered SET amps.

Bruce

Hi OB,

I just read you got some Corneys! How do you like them compared to your Herseys?

Oh Yea, the reason I have not done it yet is that they do sound DAMN good and I am still amazed with them at every listen. I'm still in the honeymoon phase though! Given enough time, I'll most likely do them!

Phil

As an owner of both Chorus II and Forte II for the HT, I'll say that I've been very pleased with their current sound, but I, too, often wonder about an upgrade for the crossovers. I have not opened either pair up to look inside, like what I've done with my K-horns. At some point I would like to see those insides, but it just hasn't been in the cards, time-wise, or money-wise. These speakers are still "young," '92-93 models, so I would think they're still close to factory spec.

However, I did send my '68 K-horn Type-A crossovers to Bob Crites for a refurb. I was truly amazed with those changes. I thought the stock crossovers sounded good, but the difference with "in spec" components was immediately noticable, and made the K-horns even better. I suppose I would like to tweak the HT speakers some, now that I'm done with my Masters and have a bit more time to spend there. Hopefully some other folks will chime in, or maybe Popbumper can give some insight.

Rob