audio cable upgrade kit - has anyone tried this

Guest " "

I'm curious, too, but I suspect that wrapping banknotes around the cables (in the amount of the kit's price) would have an equivalent effect and I'd save on shipping at the same time. As well, I could always experiment with coins (does copper sound more mellow than silver, for example) in various denominations. We've got loonies ($1 coins) and those hybrid bi-metallic twonies ($2 coins) up here.

It is okay but there is a superior tweek described below.

Obviously the pebbles have a weak effect as a dielectric positioned just where there is a change in impedance at the transition from the wire transmission line to the plug. At least part of the effect arises because the pebble, made probably of quartz or mica, has superior dielectric effects as compaired to air. The thin film of the special tape obviously increases the dielectric effect. The tape acts like the well known poly capacitors. However, the adhesive on the tape is slightly conductive and increases the Q of the tape, and thus overall system Q. This is something which is clearly audable and can be avoided.

The biggest problem is that, these devices are passive and rely on the electromagnetic field effect arising from the fringing caused by the mismatch. Hence there is a hysteresis effect because of non-linearites in the dielectric. Further, it is prone to zero-crossing errors.

The better appoach is to attach small zinc-air batteries (hearing aid type). These provide a d.c. bias which move the field away from non-linear areas and avoid zero crossing errors. Also, these should be wrapped in a non-adhesive medium, like Saran-wrap. You will find that its inherent electic field causes adhesion and actually assists to focus the field caused by fringing at the mismatch.

Naturally, the pebble tweek, or even battery tweek is flawed unless they are applied to both ends of the interconnect. Neophytes often fail to recognize that the errors arise at both ends of the interconnect, and both need correction. Correction at only one end, while benificial, will cause a reflection along the transmission line and it can only be balanced by a similar correction at the other end.

In this vein, the relative bias must be observed when using the active battery solution. The zinc air cell must be oriented so that the positive side of the cell is near the connector at the signal source end of the interconnect. Conversely, the negative side of the cell must be positioned near the the connector at the receiving end.

This active tweek works hand in hand with the well know effect of directionality in interconnections. The directionality arises because of morphology in the conductors and insulators, which affect electromagnetic fields, and can only be determined subjectively. It is best to make this determination by extensive listening test first, and then apply the cells as described above.

Generally, the drain on the cells is fairly low. The effect lasts for about 1000 hours of actual signal being passed along the wire. Then the cells and Saran-wrap must be replaced. Even if cell voltage looks good on a meter, it has accumulated the grung which it has filtered out. These are all sinusoidal plus random transients and thus can not be tested with any meter. Similarly, the Saran-wrap has accumulated impurities which make it electrically brittle.

The failure point is not hard to recognize because the sound stage collapses and subtile treble events become harsh. Bass events become tubby. Midrange loses its gained liquidity.

I hope you will not spend you money on overpriced pebbles when the active tweek is obviously superior.

(And I hope you realize that SF and I are kidding you. But it sounds good, doesn't it?)

Gil

I ordered a free sample of rainbow reflective tape a few years ago. Shipping was free too. It states that you can stick it to any stereo component, CD, or any sound related item to make it sound better. I never tried the sample, but get a kick having it. I wonder if the tape makes a better improvement than the stones?

Seriously though, isn't "air" the best dielectric?

No air is even better, which is why Tara Labs charges tens of thousands of dollars for their sealed vacuum "The Zero" interconnects. When carefully questioned, though, the company admitted that there is not hard vacuum inside the cable sheaths, more like the low air pressure found atop a 20- 25000-foot-high mountain. All the same, they are reputed to sound very good...

Did you look at the sellers feedback it is 2300. Also look at the sellers other items http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/search2.pl?seller&Geoffkait&1&3&4& .The teleportation tweak is just insane this got to be a joke http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?accstwek&1204459041.

Geoff Kait -- Aerospace Engineering (theoretical fluid dynamics and
propulsion, statistical thermodynamics, nuclear physics, indeterminate
structures). Undergrad thesis: Preliminary design of low-thrust engine
for interplanetary travel utilizing momentum transfer mechanisms in
highly magnetic metal crystal bombarded by high-energy ions. Work
experience: satellite operations; radar data analysis; aerodynamics of
high-performance aircraft; reentry vehicle dynamics; radio
communications; satellite communications; spread spectrum
communications. He incorporated Machina Dynamica in 1998; he designed
Nimbus Sub-Hertz Isolation Platform, Promethean Base, Brilliant
Pebbles, Tru-Tone Duplex Covers, Codename Turquoise CD Tray Masking
Kit, Codename Saffron HD-DVD Tray Masking Kit, the Teleportation Tweak
and manufactures the Clever Little Clock. Author of How the Intelligent Chip Works - The Definitive Explanation.

The
Teleportation Tweak is the phenomenal new product from Machina
Dynamica. The Teleportation Tweak is an advanced telecommunications
technique discovered and developed by Machina Dynamica for upgrading
audio systems remotely -- even over very long distances. Machina
Dynamica routinely performs the Teleportation Tweak for distances of
1000-4000 miles and has recently performed the Teleportation Tweak for
a distance of 10,000 miles.

The Teleportation Tweak has a profound effect on the sound - clearer,
more information, greater frequency extension and more
realistic-sounding - and is performed during a phone call to Machina
Dynamica. The phone call to Machina Dynamica can be made via landline
phone (including cordless phone) or cell phone from any room in the
house. The Teleportation Tweak will sound to the listener like a series
of mechanical pulses. The tweak itself takes about 30 seconds. Further
benefits are obtained by performing the Teleportation Tweak for ANY or
ALL additional phones in the house.

Remarkably, the Teleportation Tweak is independent of distance and
signal transmission medium and will work anywhere in the world. The
"signals" transmitted over the phone remain robust even over great
distances. It is not necessary for the system to be ON at the time of
the telephone call; however, if A/B comparison of the Teleportation
Tweak before and after the call is desired, the customer's audio system
should be turned ON and warmed up prior to the call; the customer can
thus evaluate favorite tracks before and after the Teleportation Tweak
is performed.

The effects of the Teleportation Tweak are instantaneous and the
improvement to sound quality will be audible immediately. The
Teleportation Tweak excels in 3-dimensionality, lushness, inner detail
and air. Bonus: The picture quality of any video system in the house
will also be improved - better color and contrast! Customer should pay
via Paypal or check/MO (payable to Geoff Kait) prior to calling Machina
Dynamica via landline or cell phone. Machina Dynamica's Teleportation Tweak $60.

I'm asking for input becuase I don't know. Seller's feedback is high so maybe he gets a lot of referals from happy customers. These little bags of colorful pebbles might have high WAF factor. Maybe If I get some Jubilees or MCM's, I'll hangs some over the horns. Maybe they are radioactive and have a soothing effect.

wow mikro size brillian pebbles. I bet if strapped on to my truck's spark plug wired I'll get a 40% increase in gas mileage. It's all about ions.

you think...we have 5 cars in the house maybe we can save some cash.

To answer DeanG:

I could find my technical references. However wikipedia provides some information. Look at dielectric and that has links to dielectric constant and dielectric strenght. Here I'm becoming a bit pedantic and I hope no one minds.

What I see there is that a vacuum is the reference for dielectric constants. Metals are poorer. Air is just a little better. Plastics and oils are better but not by a factor of 10.

The only air capacitors I've seen in electronics is the adjustable-variable types used in radio. The semicircular plates rotate to invade the air space of the stationary plates. These are replaced in some modern applications by varistors. These mechanical type adjustables have very low values of capacitance. Therefore we can't use them in adjustable audio crossovers. Drat.

The other issue is dielectric strength. Wikipedia is of some lesser help here. It has to do with breakdown voltage or dielectric strenght.

It is my understanding that a vacuum is very good. This is why you see vacuum capacitors in high power (high voltage) transmitter circuits.

Air is not particularly good, IIRC. In ham radio transmitters there can be arcing in the variable caps in output tuner circuits if you push them with high voltage.

I believe the problem is that the gas molecules will eventually ionize and become conductive. That does not happen in glass or mica quite as much to my understanding.

We see something like this in thunderstorms. The cloud builds up static charges because of the movement of rain and air. As in walking on a carpet or the belt in a Van de Graff (sp) generator, the working friction strips off electrons of the solids.

As a result, the clouds have different potentials (voltage) and a charge can be induced in the earth or even water. These are equivalent to charged capacitor plates.

In any case, the air becomes ionized and eventually conducts a lightening bolt. I'm sure you can Google or consult Wikipedia. There are often several strikes along the same or nearby paths with upleaders and down leaders. There may be some inherent "healing" because the strike blows up the path in short order.

Anyway, it is nice to consider that we see the concept of dielectric strength in nature.

Gil

Thank you for the breakdown Gil.

I would assume the vacuum removes, or at least arranges impurities?

There too I assume its the impurities in the air, not the O2 molecule that conducts?

I recently learned at work, dealing with our DI water treatment, that "pure" water does not conduct. It is measured in our tanks at 18 M and I am not sure if this is based on a specific volume, or ?

As far as the "air" being the ultimate insulator, we manufacture circuit boards at our facility, and they are unique in that they have the heat sink (typically aluminum) bonded to the copper layer, via 1-5 mil (patented) dielectric, and they pass a 5-12kv hi-pot without breakdown. Air of that thickness wouldn't, look at a spark plug.

Let me get pedantic again. I'm sort of on a kick of gathering snippets of my nickel-knowledge and putting them together in the same box to see what adds up. We all have a lot different experiences and it is entertaining to see how they are all related.

- - - -

I believe just about any gas will conduct when there is enough voltage to ionize it.

Consider a neon bulb. The NE-2 has a gap of about 1 mm. It takes less than 90 volts to break down the insulative properties. And then the gas conducts to some extent while it lights up. And isn't neon considered an inert gas in chemical reactions?

In high school I made a six neon bulb sequential blinker which came in an Eico kit. I have the schematic from a magazine. That got me interested. Kinda cool because it will run for years on what was a common radio battery, and is made up of the six neon bulbs, some resistors, and caps in a star shaped topology (which is not evident until you redraw the schematic).

= = =

Also consider that neon signs have paths which are many feet long. Of course they are fed with very high voltage transformers. Different gases are used to make the colors. I think they are rarified, meaning the gas is at low pressure.

Lastly, the flourescent bulbs in our homes are filled with a gas. It is my understanding that it gives off UV and then the phosphors on the inside of the tube, phosphorese (sp?).

Anyway. Like lightening, we all have some experience with gases breaking down as insulatators.

= = = =

Yes, I've seen that d.c. conductivity is used to gauge water purity. At least the removal of dissolved solids.

I've seen that de-ionized water in sort of a fireman's water cannon is used, from the ground, to clean insulators on electrical transmission lines while the power is still on. I'd guess that the long path of the stream helps. I gives me the willies, nonetheless. But apparently, pure water is a fair insulator.

- - - - -

Not to get too organic here, but. There have been some legal cases where it's alleged that guys electocute themselves by urinating on the third-rail (drunk as heck on beer, probably). Myth Busters (IHistory Channel) have purportedly shown this is not posssible. Uric acid being what makes it conductive. I think Myth Busters are doing everyone a great dis-service in this. Some fool is going to try the experiment under real world conditions and kill himself in a cloud of yellow steam. Maybe the Myth Busters are correct but it is a heck of a risk if they're not.

Again, we suspect that impurities in water (our water?) makes a good conductor.

- - - -

On a safety matter. Let me point out that there are real hazards of mixing electricity and water. It is not a matter of pure water or otherwise. The outer layer of our skin, when dry, is an insulator. Plantar surfaces maybe moreso. When it gets wet, it is conductive regardless of the purity of the water. This is one reason why ECG pads are moistened. So too with heart defrib paddles.

Spo we know that no matter how pure water may be, it will interact with good insulators to make a conductor.

- - - -

I investigated a case long ago. A lad had rented a paint sprayer, the type with a compressor on a hand trolley-truck. This was to paint a barn. He also used an extension cord with a nick in the insulation. The end with the nick, he wrapped around the metal handle of the trolley. At that must have been plugged into the "hot" side of outlet in the barn.

It might have been a minor shock in other circumstances. However, it was a hot day. His palms must have been wet. He was also standing barefoot in an animal pen next to the barn which was probably moist.

This all came out at the coroner's inquest. (Kind of a war story here. But episodes like this have made me a lot more careful. Everyone thinks it can't happen to them. Well, it can!)

- - - -

To quote the Sgt on Hill Street Blues: "Be careful out there!"

Gil

It might have been a minor shock in other circumstances. However, it was a hot day. His palms must have been wet. He was also standing barefoot in an animal pen next to the barn which was probably moist.

Working barefoot in an animal pen indicates that he had a pretty casual approach to many things, safety probably among them...