xiang ba lao in China = redneck in China

Trey Cannon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Klipsch Employees

I tried just about everything they put in front of me. Most I didn't know what it was. I did try the chicken brain and fish heads. I ended up gaining 7 lbs on the trip. I only sent one thing back. It was a dish in a local ma and pa eatery. there was fried rice on the bottom of the bowl with 1/2 covered with a sweet and sour pork and the othere covered with what I decided was cow snot. It didn't taste to bad, I just could not get past the snot stuff.

• Klipsch Employees

This is me in Mecau.

The Portuguese established the city of Macau in 1557 to be a trading post and a bastion of Christianity as well. Thus from the very beginning the fledging town was called "City of the Name of God, Macau". Immediately, the first priests started to build Catholic churches, initially of wood and matting, soon of rammed clay, and later of stone and plaster from the mid-17th century onwards.

The ancient Catholic Churches of Macau are dedicated either to the Blessed Virgin Mary (in one of her many titles) and other popular saints, as is common in other places. Most Catholic Churches were built by the Jesuits and other monastic orders often with funds provided by the city and Portuguese Crown.

The architectural style is predominantly European baroque with touches of Goan (India), Oriental and tropical features as can be seen in roofs of Chinese tiles, panels of terra-cotta and Eastern motifs carved on some facades. Most of the Catholic Churches today are restored or rebuilt buildings after fires and tropical storms have taken tsheir toll.

Many of these churches are still fully functional. The Catholic Church continues to play an important role in the life of Macau. It maintains several hospitals, schools, old people's homes, refugee centres and other charitable institutions. Masses are said every day in most Catholic Churches and schedules are posted on the doors.

post-4254-13819359967136_thumb.jpg