Best Klipsch (for the money).

Slappey

I recently aquired a pair of Kg4's from a local Craigslist listing for $120. I thought if I did not like them , I could resell them easily for what I had in them. I did not expect them to replace my Dynacos. Hooked them up to some real good SS amps(225/channel and 100/channel) and was not impressed. Real honkers. Ebay here we come. I knew they were very efficient so I decided to try them with a valve amp(14/channel). WOW! I could not believe the difference. The Kg4 is a great tube amp speaker. Makes me wonder about the Forte's and Chorus. Is there that big a difference?

Hafler DH-500(no slouch), Adcom 545, and the amp section of a Pioneer SX-950. The Heathkit AA-151 made these speakers sing. Low end is phenominal, high is open and transparent. The Dynacos are on the way out. 14 watts of el-84 power make these speakers sound GREAT.

When you ask what Klipsch are best for the money, I would ask "how much money"?

I'm VERY partial to used heritage when it comes to the "value" issue, and there are solutions at EVERY price level. You can get pretty serious here and still get bang for the buck.

Fortes can be found for $400ish, Chorus for $500ish, Cornwalls for $600ish,.and LaScalas for $900ish, all in fair/OK/some cabinet flaws, modestly higher as the condition improves. These are the low end of used heritage pricing seen, but you CAN get bang for the buck. Got woodworking skills? You can get 'em cheap and refinish them (oft done by members here). If you are patient, you'll sometimes luck out on a good pair for a good deal. Patience pays off some, but if you really want them, you can find what you want, in time.

I suggest the largest example your room and budget can use. You might end up with the speakers you die with.....I plan on keeping mine for life. And yes, by all means stay with the tube gear.

I got a pair of '89 Forte's about a month ago, and I absolutely love them. I'm using them with a predominately analog tube system. Fantastic sound. Nonetheless, I've decided to have Bob Crites help me upgrade the crossovers, as so many on this forum say the improvement is not subtle. I believe them. And considering I got them for $450, I think it's a reasonable investment.

If you can find a pair(check Craigslist) think seriously about it.

Good luck.

I like the Quartet, Forte II, and Chorus II family. My problem with the Quartet (I have several on stands and love them) is that they are short. But maybe that works for you. I like the tractrix midrange horn in these and believe it is worth an upgrade from Forte (I) or Chorus (I). YMMV.

The other bang for the buck king is the original Cornwall. You find them in all sorts of prices and external conditions. Please read the review on the main Klipsch page where it is called a Cornwall II. That was because what is described there is the horizontal mid, as distinguished from the earlier vertical mid horn version, if I understand correctly. Not that those are bad either. The verticals are collector items.

Gil

After joining the Forum and reading tons of comments, I found a pair of '89 Choruses from a member who offered them at a very fair price. Initially, I was looking for Fortes, but I could not resist getting as close as I could to Cornwalls. To power the Choruses, I went the vintage Harman Kardon HK _30 route. I landed an HK 630 which, after a going over by an HK certified tech, sounds clean and sweet with the Choruses. The combo sounds especially good with acoustic instruments and voices. It is an economical way to get into heritage Klipsch with plenty of future upgrade potential for getting into tubes.

Hafler DH-500(no slouch), Adcom 545, and the amp section of a Pioneer SX-950. The Heathkit AA-151 made these speakers sing. Low end is phenominal, high is open and transparent. The Dynacos are on the way out. 14 watts of el-84 power make these speakers sound GREAT.

I was at a friend's house last weekend and he had an Adcom amp running his B&W Matrix 801's while his VTL's are in the shop. Bright, bright, bright and edgy, and this was with a VTL tube preamp. We replaced it with my Musical Fidelity preamp and Bryston 7B ST's monoblocks and it still sounded harsh, until they warmed up... then a whole different ball game.

It all depends on what you are using. Tubes work great with Klipsch, so do digital amps and many SS units (QSC comes to mind).

KG4's on tubes sound great, I've been writing that for months, wanna' try Heresy's on Tubes, wow, but bottom line, Get yourself around $1,000 Find some Cornwall 1's, change to Xovers, and be done with it ........... Forte's don't walk the same ground as Cornwalls .... depends on what you're looking for .. the same speaker will sound better on tubes than SS .... your ears, your money, you decide ...Cornwalls first choice, Heresy second choice ... It's kinda' a loaded question, what do you expect Forte owners, or Chorus owners, or even Cornwall owners to say, They're speakers are Best !!!!!!!!

What kind of SS amps ?

I've hooked my Klipshorns up to some HT amps and they were less than impressive, got my old Sansui out of mothballs and it was a whole new experience.

exactly my experience......I auditioned the KG 5.5's on a run-of-the mill HT amp, not impressed, but suspected they were capable of better. I bought them, knowing I could turn them over, and hooked them into my Sansui 771. Very nice result!