Music cannot change the world, says Neil Young

Daddy Dee

Of course music can't change the world, it can only change a few people's minds. It's up to those people to change the world.

Two songs affected my life. I raced motorcycles in the mid-1970s, but gave it up when it seemed to be going nowhere. I thought about getting back into it in the early '80s, but I was getting older. Then I heard the song Imagination's Real by The Kinks a number of times, which gave me the confidence to go for it again. As it turned out, I was faster the second time around and had more success, including a couple of seasons in the Canadian pro ranks. I kept it up until my mid-30s when bones became too easy to break.

The second song is Don't Dream It, Be It from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. That's been my motto for years and has put me in the mood to go for it many times in many ways. It also helps me to remind myself that "nothing can stop the Duke of Earl".

Laugh if you want, but this kind of positive thinking keeps me from putting imaginary roadblocks in front of my goals and has enabled me to do lots of things that my friends thought would be either difficult or impossible.

Life's challenging enough. There's no need for anyone to hold themselves back from their worthy goals.

Laugh if you want, but this kind of positive thinking keeps me from putting imaginary roadblocks in front of my goals and has enabled me to do lots of things that my friends thought would be either difficult or impossible.

Life's challenging enough. There's no need for anyone to hold themselves back from their worthy goals.

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood; aim for the chopping block.

— Annie Dillard

I'm with Islander here. Thanks Islander!

Music can't change the world. Well, maybe the Beatles were influential. It is more one person and inspiration.

There is a thread going about favorite rock. I like to think of Loggins and Messina. It came out in the times of prog rock and, what can I say, a lot of unhappy songs. L & M was uplifting. Also, I have been watching the Styx video. On the whole, enthusiastic and energetic.

The point, though, is that sometimes we're in a muddle. It is good to find a rock song where the author shares his own experiences of muddleness and later, success.

It gives us all a jolt in the right direction. "The real direction, underlying dream".

As Islander points out, positive thinking.

Thanks again,

Gil

I know you weren't knocking Neil. He does what he wants whether the fans like it or not. I am not that thrilled about the fact that the next archive release will not be on CD. Only on Blue-ray DVD. what the heck is blue-ray DVD? I guess you need a special type of DVD machine. I am willing to pay the price what ever it is if I don't die waiting. I took the pic from my 1000.00 front row orch seats at Shea's Theatre Buffalo N.Y. on 11/30/2007. I will try a couple more pics.

post-18012-13819360792622_thumb.jpg