What do you do about e-mail Spam?

jacksonbart

I have McAfee spam blocker and it gives me the ability to add sender addresses to block (over 300) as well as criteria(over 20 including all 'yahoo.uk', etc.and nasty words), but wow that crap keeps comming in. Is there a better solution, other than dropping out? I do like to buy things on line but not "bad" things so its not like I am a perv. I have had the same e-mail address for 8 years. Any help?

I am a novice with this..............but

1. I regularly clear my Cache, and cookies + temp files on my computer.

2. I unhook my connection DSL, for short periods.

3. Mostly though I just Don't Open, or view the msg's............I just send them to Junk, or if in junk just Delete.

4. Very Careful what "Sites" I visit..........i.e. major known names with good reputations............

5. Finally if you haven't already, increase the security level on your computer to see if maybe this would stop some incoming junk......Good Luck.

Any help?

Probably not...I've had AOL from my first computer, and using it to handle spam used to drive me bats. I used to add specific e-addresses to its spam blocker, gave up because new spam always changed them anyway. AOL finally developed a filter that accurately detects maybe 90% - 95% of spam that it sends to a spam folder where I can scan for possible false positives to send back to my inbox, and then simply click "delete all" for what remains.

Thus, I don't spend time typing or copying in specific addresses or suffixes. My only problem is it doesn't "train" very well, e.g., has never learned to filter out intellius.com.

While I don't find the spam handling at all frustrating, AOL in general is a different story.

I use gmail and only once a month does a spam email get into my legit mailbox. There is a SPAM folder that fills up but nothing legit ever goes into it so I just delete contents without looking now. I managed an email system a work and I just bought a barracuda email appliance and my users are very happy with the reduction in spam. In just a month it blocked 1 million spam messages.

Junk mail, junk email, telemarking calls, offers for preapproved credit cards... it's all just a part of modern life. I get several hundred emails a day (nature of the business I'm in here at PeriShip ) of which maybe 20% are spam. Sort by sender, select and delete. Life goes on...

Back when I paid bills with stamps and envelopes.... I would save all the junk mail and send back bits of junk mail little at a time with my payments. It always made paying bills more fun.

• Moderators

Dice it into small cubes . Then mix in thinly sliced blanched potatos and cream of mushroom soup . Bake in a casserole dish in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes . Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy !

Sounds like you need to come to Spamorama here in Austin, you could take first place with that one.

JB,

I use AVG, Adaware, and spybot. I keep them up to date and run them daily. I keep the cookies and temp files cleaned a couple of times a week. I really don't have a problem with them at all. Maybe one or two a day tops.

My biggest problem is with the U.S. Mail service shoving all the effing ad flyers in my mail box. I can't find my mail for all the crap. I've contacted the Post Office but they tell me they can't stop them from sending it. Heck, it's the way the Post Office makes their profits. They're not going to stop sending the sh.. .

Harry