Drifting Away from Home Theatre

I find myself slowly drifting away from Home Theatre, I am not saying, I won't use what I have, but I'm to the point where I won't spend anymore money on it? The BIG-BOOM effect I guess is wearing off ........ I watch more Concert DVD's now than Movies ...... never thought I'd write that, but I did. Just wondering if I'm alone with those feelings, or if others feel the same way. You spend good money, and a year later it is relaced by something else. It never ends, where 2 channel Music just keeps rolling along .............. I will do what's best for me, was wondering how others feel ??????

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably half my DVD collection are concert films. I find that I can enjoy them over and over again whereas a movie title usually wears out its welcome after a few screenings (discounting Monty Python and Tarantino of course).

I get the feeling that a with a new Plasma set, that my movie watching will increase. I'm working on a two channel room and obviously have more than enough speakers, but having trouble deciding on electronics. I find myself listening to less and less music unless stuck in traffic in the car.

I'm with you,OB. Anymore it seems like when I watch a movie with my ht setup, there is just too much noise bouncing around. I'm going to take out my reference 5's and the surround speakers and put my Khorns in place of them and just have 2 channel for everything. -Kevin

Yeah, me too. I am sellinng off my kg4's, kg1.5's, and a kv2 center channel. All in walnut to match my la scallas. However, while they might look nice together, they will never MATCH my la scallas. I bought REAL theatre speakers. They are wonderful for regular music listening as well as "special effects". They are more efficient than my la scalla's, and a better match in the overall system.

Even when watching movies, we would amost always turn the effects off. It just sounded better to me that way. I am sure if I went out and spent more money on better amps to drive the surround sound stuff it would have made a huge difference. But I do not want to CHASE the tech. forever. I am going to buy the best two channel stuff I can get my hands on, and live happily ever after....

These horns came straight out of a theatre...... You should here em' eh...... I wish I could sample a nice tube amp on them.... Just to see if it would make a big enough difference to warrent the expense. I will get the hf horns installed first and then worry about the right amps.

In the long run, it will always be better than the 7,10, 12, .. channels the future might bring. I don't care how many bose cubes you throw at it, you can't get the soul out of the music without sacrificing some space. My goal is to Keep it SIMPLE and CLEAN.

I do HOWEVER have my laptop's docking station plugged in to it. I like 3 days worth of music at the touch of my fingertips while I post threads and research ideas. Believe it or not, there are some NICE CLEAN mp3's out there. La scala's and the internet have changed my listening forever...

Louis Armstrong, BB King, Norah Jones, Ray Charles, Billy Holiday, I could go on forever. I am not anti tech, I just like my music a bit simpler these days.

36 years old and I find myself listening to my grandparents music on 40 year old gear.. with a brand new laptop go figure......?

You can see pics of my system on the frazier bass horns thred on this verry forum.. ie. 2channel.

My 2 channel Klipschorn HT. Works for me. I still like the quality and the small size of the CRT picture tube. With the Khorns, even the news sounds good.

Brad, that's one helluva system you have there! It also reminds me of my 2-channel HT setup I had many years ago (never owned multichannel anything)...just a 20" JVC mono TV and a Sony hi-fi stereo VCR connected to my stereo system.

post-11084-1381936124506_thumb.jpg

I feel the same way. I have reached the point where I am quite satisfied with the sound of movies (still need a better picture). Where I'm not satisfied is musically. Getting better 2-channel sound is now my quest. I have been buying a lot of vinyl lately. I am currently looking into tube amps, new turntables, etc. I have a feeling this is where it's going to get expensive (lol).

Don

I feel the same way OB. Concert DVD's get a lot of play on my main system. I'm getting the feeling that is the sole reason why some of our friends come over for...........Requests to watch a concert DVD are pretty common. I mean in some ways it's better than being there!![:D]

The movie effects are not as appealing to me anymore either, although it is nice once in a while to watch something that was done properly. The cheezy effects just get old after a while.[|-)]

I guess I just have more of a passion to hear music on a fine system rather than the fake "boom-boom".[*-)]

There is a lot more to watching a movie than the boom boom effect.

What about the awsome scores of the movie. You will deny yourself an awesome experiance of a John Williams or Howard Shore.

I can get just as lost in a great movie just as some great music. Nothing has to blow up in the movie either.

Myself, I will always have a HT and a nice 2 channel system.

There is a lot more to watching a movie than the boom boom effect.

What about the awsome scores of the movie. You will deny yourself an awesome experiance of a John Williams or Howard Shore.

I can get just as lost in a great movie just as some great music. Nothing has to blow up in the movie either.

Myself, I will always have a HT and a nice 2 channel system.

I hear ya, but do you really need to enjoy that awesome film score in multichannel? Personally, I find the same score sounds just as spectacular in 2-channel, but that's just me I guess.

Hope this makes sense...............

If I watch a DVD or special TV program, I run the three speakers in front, for better Vocals.............never got around to hooking up the Rear speakers,
and honestly find myself content with just the fronts, no sub..............

A multi-channel setup (no matter how many channels) with a GOOD sub that sounds great on music should absolutely immerse you in a film. One problem (as many pointed out) is the 'boom boom'. Cranking up the subs too much, a room notorious with bass, and heavy handed sound mixing have made too many movie experiences 'boom heavy'. The theaters are as much to blame as anyone.

I enjoy the nuances of a properly mixed surround sound field as much as I do a properly engineered 2 channel CD or LP.

Let's try an experiment- if you don't like the 'boom-boom', try moving your sub to a more friendly location and/or turning it down a bit, mmmk?

I used the words BOOM effect for the lack of not knowing what to call it ...... My only point was, at first I was Gung-Ho on home theatre, and now I wonder why I put so much into something I hardly use anymore, most Movies I have rented put me to sleep .......... When 5.1 or whatever variation you use, is done right, the effect is awesome, but the majority of movies in 5.1 are a joke ........... It's like concert Videos, some are jaw droppers, and others are just awful ............... I HATE BOOMY BASS ...... seems to me expolsions are boom,boom ....

As I've expressed in the past, there is nothing more absurd or "dis-concerting" to me than the sound of applause coming from the same direction as the band. Also an organ bombarde division coming from the front. Many other similar situations. 2 channel simply cannot deliver for many recordings and my system is switchable to pure two channel tube with a push of the Niles amp switcher for those for which it can.

I don't understand the "overboom" you mention. My multichannel (Cornwall center, Frazier Mark IV's in the rear) is set pretty nicely and the Pinnacle sub is tameable to whatever "boom" level with a 5db increment switch (0 to +20db) on the remote. Movies are great either from the OPPO or cable.

Looking forward to 1080P now the battle is over.

Dave