Monster Cable vs. Coathangers

Your wife probally can't tell the difference between a real diamond and a Cubic Zirconia, but due to the marketing success of the diamond industry, try buying your wife just cubic zirconia's going forward.

My brother just bought a used motorcycle for 9600 tonight. He has one now, which he will be selling to me for 4000. They are both identical models, year, and other performance spec's. The extra 5600 is just chrome. None of which changes the performance of the bike.

I can't tell the difference between khorns and bose 901's. I have a set of each just in case someday I might be able to.

People are going to buy what ever they want...different from buying what they need...as long as they don't use their rent money to do it...who really cares.

Here's a good source with a wide selection:

http://www.besthangers.com/hangers/159/metal_hangers/?source=gg&keyword=metal+hangers&gclid=CLaj8pSw8pECFRsmIgodk2zIpQ

As far as the defensive reaction to the term "audiophile" ...one might suspect a case where "thou doest protest too much"...

Nah, who am I kidding!? Just try to keep a straight face while saying that!

[*-)][:P]

I can't tell the difference between khorns and bose 901's. I have a set of each just in case someday I might be able to.

Are you serious? I've heard 901s 2x and Khorns 2x, they weren't even close in dynamics, bass output, midrange clarity, and holding together at high volume. Are you running the 901s with 1kW each?

Kimball

Whether you think cables do or do not make a difference, this post and the article it references at engadgethd.com kind of illustrate one of the problems with the internet. The referenced post contains no background on who did this test, when, where, under what conditions, etc. It has the appearence of urban myth. If you google monster cable coat hanger you will find many pages, all basically pointing to each other. Pages that do proport to contain actual details of the test run something like My friend's brother got 7 of us together in his garage to listen to some CDs and compare speaker cable. Unbeknownst to us, he tricked us by swapping in coat hangers with speaker connectors welded on. (!!!) None of us could tell the difference.

I'm not saying that decent speaker cable sounds different than a coat hanger, though I strongly suspect there would be some differences. I am saying this little story should be totally discounted.

It has the appearence of urban myth.

Sort of like the myriad pages of testimonials ( oooooooh! aaaaaaaaah!) claiming to absolutely prefer tubes over SS, this over that, and that over something else.

Here is a reference to the 2006 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest published in Audio Express (also referenced on Roger Russell's (of MacIntosh Labs) Audio Distortion website at http://www.roger-russell.com/truth/truth.htm#goodamplifiers)

where all of the golden ears there couldn't establish any clear pattern in recognizing and distinguishing amps! Ooops.

Oh, and don't check out Vilchur's article on the audibility of different speaker cables referenced on Russell's website either unless you don't mind watching as your exotic cables devalue before your eyes.

Sure different pieces of equipment and cable can sound different.

But is the presumption enough to make simplistic generalizations regarding wire where the reactances do NOT vary significantly and the resistance is close?

Nope.

cordell2765. RockyMtnAudioFest.pdf

Yep... couldn't agree with you more Mark. I read posts around here with some folks professing that they can't hear the difference between cables or amps or even speakers (although I doubt that came across as intended). I defy anyone NOT to hear a difference! Its very dependent on the surrounding equipment - some systems are much more sensitive to changes and switching out components and wires may be quite obvious in one setup and extremely subtle in another. And I'm certainly not suggesting that a $10K cable is going to sound better than zip cord, Monster wire or even coat hangers but I am saying that every wire, cord, cable or component will have a discernible effect - however subtle in all but the least sensitive system. If someone can't hear a difference - the reason is more likely to be attributed to physiology than physics.

Besides, I'm sure those coat hangers were cry'oed.