Who Currently Makes The Best Damm Speakers

Gilbert

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go old school with a pair of JBL 250Ti's with the matching B-460 subwoofer and BX-63A crossover, or the JBL K2's. I would also look for a pair of Polk Audio SDA-SRS Signatures or old school a/d/s models like the L910's, L980's, or L1590's. No one has yet mentioned DynAudio who make some of the best damn speakers on the planet whether it be in the home or the car. At that price point why not something totally custom exotic veneers, drivers and crossover networks.

Since you already have a stable full of Klipsch speakers that is why I recommended strictly other brands.

I've only heard their entry level concertino's, which sounded great to me for such a small speaker, but I would think the Sonus Faber Cremona Ellipsa's might warrant some consideration, although a little over budget.

The Sonus Faber are beautiful. I would love to hear a pair. There is one thing that steered me away from them. Their crossovers are encased in a solid block of plastic (or some other material). If you plan on owning a pair long term forget about replacing capacitors. I would also guess that repalcement crossovers are thousands of dollars. BTW, long term is not that long if you buy a pair of 7 or 8 year old speakers and like to replace caps at the 15 year mark.

Gilbert,

I'd definitely make the Palladium a must listen too speaker before making a decision. But just the stir the pot a bit..... I hauled my amplifiers and preamp over the a fellow SMAC (Southeast Michigan Audio Club) members house for a try out with a set of Coincident Total Eclipse speakers a week or so ago. I thought these speakers sounded terrific. Much different then what I'm used to with horns but very nice just the same. He normally powers them with a high end OTL amplifier with like 16 output tubes each... He is now seriously thinking about simplifying his amplifier setup [:)] These are just a bit more then half the budget. Again though I'd put a listening session with the Palladium first I suspect that is one amazing speaker. The beauty of most of these more modern designs is they allow you to move the speakers out into the room away from the back wall which give much better depth to the presentation......

http://www.coincidentspeaker.com/total_eclipse.htm

total_eclipse_frontLG.jpg

Kai Chao, a member here has both Klipschorns and N800's and he prefers the Klipschorns (I think that he has a Tractrix midrange horn and Crites or JBL tweeters). He said that in his system and in his room, the modified K Horns are superior. That says a lot for the modded K Horns.

I have been to Ki's house and heard his N800's with a 400w digital amp, and his Khorns with a HK Citation tube integrated. I much preferred the Khorns. Don't get me wrong the B&W's sounded very nice, and they imaged fabulously, but I much prefer the livelier and dynamic sound of the Khorns. YMMV...

Mike

Kai Chao, a member here has both Klipschorns and N800's and he prefers the Klipschorns (I think that he has a Tractrix midrange horn and Crites or JBL tweeters). He said that in his system and in his room, the modified K Horns are superior. That says a lot for the modded K Horns.

I have been to Ki's house and heard his N800's with a 400w digital amp, and his Khorns with a HK Citation tube integrated. I much preferred the Khorns. Don't get me wrong the B&W's sounded very nice, and they imaged fabulously, but I much prefer the livelier and dynamic sound of the Khorns. YMMV...

Mike

Very true Mike, one of the reasons I like my Las sitting next to my N804's. Taste of both worlds, now when I get a pair of Maggies again I'll have 3 choices as I have always liked Jazz on electro's for some reason[:D]

Mike

Very true Mike, one of the reasons I like my Las sitting next to my N804's. Taste of both worlds, now when I get a pair of Maggies again I'll have 3 choices as I have always liked Jazz on electro's for some reasonBig Smile

I think that Ki has a pair of Apogee or some other rare ribbon speakers too. He has one fine example of every type (cone, planar and horn). That is something to strive for.

I have all of the parts to build a pair of highly modified K Horns (Inlcuding bass bins and active crossover). I try to sell it every once in a while. I'll probably build them some day to give me another alternative. Although I do think that the B&W's are "better" more natural sounding speakers, I can't say that I enjoy them more than I enjoyed my K Horns when they were my mains.

What is more fun (that is what its all about) a really refined new sports car or an old hot rod? The question probably cannnot be answered.

EDIT: Mike, what is Ki using for tweeters and midrage horn/driver in his K Horns?

Been busy, but made it back to checkout the info.... thanks again guys. I sure hope I can limit the number of stero dealers I've got to travel to. If anyone knows of a few places that carry a good selection of speakers, please let me know.... Amy, or Colter, any suggestions on a dealer in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. Can you look inside any books and shoot me a few names. I'm going to try and make it fun when I go running around Dallas listening to different speakers. Generally I don't like doing that kind of stuff. Last time I did this was about 5 or 6 years ago when I purchased my HTS set up. Lot of driving, and went full circle back to what I had already read about on the net.

Anyway, a couple of guys asked me about "What system the speakers would be used in". Well, they will be used in pure 2-channel. Tubed system consist of BBX, VRDS, THORENS 124 MkII, MR71 & Ah! Joeb

Someone (don't remember who) poked fun and wanted to know what type of music. Well, I listen to just about everything. Everything except rap and hip-hop.

thanks again guys..... this has always been a good site for music gear information and carpentry, thanks fini. [;)] I'll check out the website a little more thouroghly tomorrow Craig, and see if I can locate a dealer in the bid D area. thanks bud.

I think that Ki has a pair of Apogee or some other rare ribbon speakers too. He has one fine example of every type (cone, planar and horn). That is something to strive for.

I have all of the parts to build a pair of highly modified K Horns (Inlcuding bass bins and active crossover). I try to sell it every once in a while. I'll probably build them some day to give me another alternative. Although I do think that the B&W's are "better" more natural sounding speakers, I can't say that I enjoy them more than I enjoyed my K Horns when they were my mains.

What is more fun (that is what its all about) a really refined new sports car or an old hot rod? The question probably cannnot be answered.

EDIT: Mike, what is Ki using for tweeters and midrage horn/driver in his K Horns?

Tiger,

I believe his horns/drivers are stock, but he had aftermarket networks (they escape me at the moment). He's a very handy do-it-yourselfer (he had about 60 Heathkit amps sitting in a closet that he has collected/refurbished over the years), and truly loves all things audio. In addition to the Khorns and B&W's, he also has a pair of Quad ESL's sitting in the same room (I only got to hear these with one song I believe).

Anyway, if anybody gets to the Seattle area they should look Ki up (Ki Choi on the forum). He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. He treated me to dinner and we drank 2 bottles of some great Washington Pinot, and his lovely wife put up with us for about 4 hours while we made one hell of a racket in his beautiful home. [:D]

Mike

• Moderators

Amy, or Colter, any suggestions on a dealer in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area.

We likely won't have firm information on dealers with a demo of Palladiums until we get closer to the launch for the rest of the line, which is looking like late spring. As soon as I have the list, I will post it.

Thanks!

I am intrigued at the high price commanded by Tannoy speakers. I have only read about them, and do not know anything about their sound. I can't comprehend how such a small HF horn would deliver large sound.

My favourite, based on appearance, the Westminister Royal SE (a little expensive). Have a look at the great wooden flair at the front. Their manual gives a great sketch on the rear folded horn sound path.

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php?product=138&title=Westminster+Royal+SE&s=27