Need amplifier for a pair of La Scalas

Hi, I'm a poor college student but I happened to run across a pair of very good condition la scalas in some old guys basement for $400! They sound amazing and are only hooked up to a Sony 100x2 amplifier. I'm looking to pair them up with a low THD amplifier. What would you guys reccomend?

Currently on craigslist, I can find a MC2505 with a MX112 preamp, the guy is asking $900

mcintosh_amp_480.jpg

there is also a marantz sr19 for 400 that I'm considering because it has ultra low THD.

PRODUCT_74.gif

Marantz sr19:

120 Watt @ 8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD: 0.05%

I need some advice from experts because this is my first pair of REAL speakers.

The max I'm willing to spend for a used amplifier is $600.

How are your electronics skills? Right now on EBay there are quite a few used tube integrated amps under $600, but you should expect to have to fix solder joints, maybe replace aging capaciters, maybe replace screw terminals with binding posts, that sort of thing. If you want something that you can just plug in and play, I saw several older Sansui amps (717 and the like) that generally get pretty good reviews. You just missed out on a Marantz PM-94 - there have been three on EBay in the last few weeks, one went for <$400, the next one went for >$800, and I bought mine ( insert happy face ) for $750.

Just checked, right now there's about 160 integrated amps listed less than $600, all different ages and varieties.

Congratulations on the La Scalas. It sounds like you got a great price and I know that you will enjoy them.

I assume the $600 limit is for both the amp and pre-amp. It probably does not matter since 90% of the suggestions you will get will ignore this limit and recommend much more expensive components. I will also assume that it is not a large room that you will be playing these in and I will further assume that the music you be playing is contemporary and that it will be played loud. All these assumptions matter.

I would recommend that you purchase used equipment that was popular in the 1980s-1990s. Since this is used, soild state will tend to be more reliable and can be played loud.

As far as the amps: Parasound HCA series has potential (the smaller versions wattage version will be $200-400). Also consider the Adcom GFA 5x5 series. The 545 is 100 watt and about $250 while the 555 is 200 watt and about $350. The series 2 usually had bypass capacitors on the power supply and consequently has a better (more solid & tight) bass. The McIntosh you mentioned is out of your price range unless it is beat up.

Other brands from that era that you might want to demo include, Rotel, some NAD, and the older Yamaha (pre- 1985 or so), some Luxman, some Onkyo so me Nakamichi (stasis series). Actually, there is quite a bit of stuff. You mention low THD, I would not worry about this spec too much. There are other factors that contribute to a clean sounding amp.

Your speakers are do not present a difficult load for an amp, so you do not need a great deal of current capability. The speakers are also quite efficient, so you do not need very many watts. The flip side is that any hiss or hum or noise in the electronics will be faithfully reproduced.

Personally, I feel it is probably more important to refresh the capacitors in the crossover (and this can be done cheaply, search the threads). Hopefully the crossover is some version of an A or AA. Also, placement of the speakers can have a profound impact on the sound. These last two issues will have more of an impact on the sound (unless the amp is either terrible or out of your price range).

As far as a pre-amp in your price range I would suggest an old Hafler pre-amp or an older Adcom. All the suggestions I have made are for units that are easy to obtain and are fairly common. These suggestions are all in your price range (I remember being a student) and should provide a degree of reliability and leave some money to get the caps refreshed or new diaphragms (if necessary).

Good Luck,

-Tom

Wow, thank you Tom for that thorough response! I appreciate it.

I actually would prefer to spend around 300 if I wont notice too much of a difference. I would like to have a stand alone unit.

Currently I'm looking at some cheaper mcintosh, onkyo integra tx890, harmon kardon a402, yamaha 1020.

also, I'd prefer to have the needle gauge eyes like some marantz and mcintosh have. This isn't too important but very asthetically pleasing to me.

I listen mostly to electronic music but my range of genres is broad.

Thanks!!

Go vintage and buy a 60's Scott or Fisher and have Craig rebuild it for less than $800 total investment. My Scott sounds better everyday to me, which is uncommon. I used to have upgradeitis.

Gosh, With a target of $300 and a max of $600, I don't see how a $800 purchase is going to come in on budget.

There are many, many alternatives. Why not an older Harman Kardon receiver x30 series. They are the twin power supply models. Yes they are old enough such that reliability could be an issue, but they are so inexpensive you could buy two for about $100-150 each and have a spare and still stay within budget.

Go vintage and buy a 60's Scott or Fisher and have Craig rebuild it for less than $800 total investment. My Scott sounds better everyday to me, which is uncommon. I used to have upgradeitis.

Gosh, With a target of $300 and a max of $600, I don't see how a $800 purchase is going to come in on budget.

There are many, many alternatives. Why not an older Harman Kardon receiver x30 series. They are the twin power supply models. Yes they are old enough such that reliability could be an issue, but they are so inexpensive you could buy two for about $100-150 each and have a spare and still stay within budget.

Unless, unlike me, maybe he can solder. $400 max if he can, and I can attest to the quality of these old amps.

There are many, many alternatives. Why not an older Harman Kardon receiver x30 series. They are the twin power supply models. Yes they are old enough such that reliability could be an issue, but they are so inexpensive you could buy two for about $100-150 each and have a spare and still stay within budget.

Unless, unlike me, maybe he can solder. $400 max if he can, and I can attest to the quality of these old amps.

Certainly it could be a fun project, although potentially time-consuming one.

A note of caution however before you go out and get a soldering iron: I suspect what Craig does is much more than simply soldering. There are going to be other skills and knowledge required in that craft.

-Tom

I have two of the old twin ps HK430 receivers. They sound very good for the money, and were right about $100 each. I haven't had to do anything to they but replace the fuses on one channel of one. My youngest son uses it in his dorm at college (powering some JBLs). You almost can't go wrong to get one and give it a try.

soldering is no problem for me. I've installed many mod chips into xboxes and Playstation 2's, although I've never started taking apart broken components and trying to fix them. I don't have a lot of time to spend troubleshooting an amplifier. But i have taken a few physics courses on electricity and circuits.

I do not plan on using vinyl. My only input is digital from the computer.

Take a look at B&K.

The PT-3 Series II pre-amp can be had for around $200 on ebay (the current model - Reference 5 runs about $100 more), and the ST-125.2 (or earlier) amps can be found for $300 (or less).

Quality stuff made in the USA. B&K sounds great with La Scalas (Khorns,Cornwalls and Heresys too for that matter).

James

Currently I'm looking at some cheaper mcintosh, onkyo integra tx890, harmon kardon a402, yamaha 1020.

I'm a big fan of Yamaha gear, but '70s-vintage stuff like the CR-1020 doesn't sound as good as the later stuff. I replaced my old 1020 with a Yamaha RX-V392, a late '90s bottom of the line model and it sounded clearer than the 1020. The EQ-70 equalizer that improved the sound of the 1020 produced a veiling effect on the 392, since the 392 revealed more of what was going through it.

Since then, I moved up to a 2005 RX-V750, which is better yet, but the RX-V392 has a really likeable sound and I'm still using it in my bedroom system.

If the prices are comparable, I'd look for newer amps, if you can find them in your price range. They''re likely to be in better condition, be more reliable and be better-sounding, even if they don't have those nice wood housings that the old stuff had.

I have two of the old twin ps HK430 receivers. They sound very good for the money, and were right about $100 each. I haven't had to do anything to they but replace the fuses on one channel of one. My youngest son uses it in his dorm at college (powering some JBLs). You almost can't go wrong to get one and give it a try.

The HK 330A, B, C, or i, might be a good match with LaScala. I fixed my 330B, and works rather good now. At 15-17 wpc, it seems to match up rather well.

I see in your sig line that you have some highly regarded tube amps. I have been using an HK 430 on my old Khorns and have been very impressed with itsperformance - lots of bang for the buck - but every now and then consider upgrading. Have you done very much comparison with the 430 and your tube amps? Would be very interested in your opinions.

Thanks,

Rod

Consider a small, 6BQ5 or EL84 integrated tube amplifier to use with your speakers. I've been a tube guy for a little while now, and I think that the 6BQ5/EL84 is one of the more musical tubes to mate with Klipsch until you hit low-power SET territory. There are plenty vintage amplifiers by Eico, Dynaco out there or a new Jolida JD-102B should be available for ~$600 or used for ~$400.

I have recently DIY'd an EL84 amplifier based on a Dynaco ST-35 and it sounds amazing on my Chorus and my buddy's La Scala.