Pink Floyd Concert Videos

I'm looking for opinions on the various Pink Floyd concert dvd's. I was checking em out at BB the other day, considered buying one, but thought better of it without a recommendation. I've seen a lot of Pulse on PBS and liked it. Just curious about the others for sound/picture quality, overall recording, etc. It seems to me there was a thread on this a year or three ago, but no luck in searching for it. Any and all opinions appreciated.

I second oldbuckster; 'Pulse' is awesome. Now, for the big "however".......

The sound on 'Pulse' is amazing. The video suffers a bit, but with good reason. Correct me if I am wrong, but the concert was done in 1994. There were some arguments among the band's creative members (no surprise) as to whether to go with video or film technology in order to capture the spectacle. They went with the existing Betacam video technology at the time. Unfortunately, that was 1994 technology and not only was it 4:3 aspect but, it does not edit very well; it's basically analog. The sound however was far more advanced back then and it came across wonderfully (it was probably done digitally). Still, I consider 'Pulse' a definite "keeper" if you are a Pink Floyd enthusiast. We've viewed our copy many times and we and our guests never seem to tire of it. The only things missing, of course, are Roger Waters and Syd Barrett (rest his soul). But, don't get me wrong, the video still looks decent, but it was clearly a compromise over motion picture film.

If you've got a hankering to see Roger Waters and David Gilmore on stage together once again, then you need to get a hold of the concert DVD: 'Live 8', a 4-disc box set that contains 5 songs done by Pink Floyd with the reunited duo back in the summer of 2005. It's fabulous! There's lots of other acts (too many to mention) on the discs well worth watching too. It's currently on sale at Amazon for $34.99 with free shipping. -Glenn

Great info guys, thanks so much, exactly the stuff I was looking for. I might go with the Pulse/Live 8 combo package on Amazon for $55. Unbelievable that the Live 8 set is 600 minutes. It would take me 2 months to get through it all the first time, and by then I'd have forgotten which parts I liked the most and have to start over from the beginning!! Right now I have strictly 2-channel, but am sure the new-to-me Khorns would present the videos well.

Going to keep watching a day or so for other views before I order anything.

I just I'd mention the David Gilmour "Live At Royal Hall".I'd prefer he done more from his early solo years but the Floyd parts are very good and the Gilmour stuff is pretty good too,great video and sound.

Fish,

Do you have any problems with your copy? I have tried to exchange my copy 3 times due to a skip or something like that. I forget where it does it, since I have not tried playing it for awhile. It seemed to be around the 16th track but I will try tomorrow to pinpoint where and what exactly it does.

It seems to start at around 1:28:15 and then just keeps going in a loop with the signal being lost and coming back, cutting out the sound and video. It seems to do it on tracks 17-19. I only notice this type of thing on this particular title. I have tried swapping it out 3x's and it is always in the same spot that this happens.

David Gilmours "Meltdown" concert, more of an acoustic show but VERY VERY good

Waters, "In the Flesh" as been said, also "The Wall"

I was at the Pulse concert when they put it on in Nashville. (yes, Dee...year was 1994). The concert was the absolute most incredible concert I've ever been to. Sadly, it did NOT translate very well to the DVD in my opinion. IN fact... I'm not so sure that I don't think the VHS version actually LOOKS better on my tv than the DVD looks on my 50" wide screen...

Interestingly, as much as I absolutely LOVED the show.... I find myself watching the other dvd's I have (of Floyd) than Pulse. I DO like that the dvd of Pulse has "One of these days" on it as they chopped that song off of the VHS version and they really cut loose on that. I was close enough that when the pyro-techniques were blowing up on the stage, we could feel the heat from them.

I just I'd mention the David Gilmour "Live At Royal Hall".I'd prefer he done more from his early solo years but the Floyd parts are very good and the Gilmour stuff is pretty good too,great video and sound.

And in my opinion, a stunning version of Echos!! I'll put the dvd in just to hear that single song (granted, it does last 20 minutes...) Put that on your Heritage & wick it up baby!!

I believe it really comes across as a 4.1 soundmix. However, it is mixed very well to make the user think there is a center playing. The label says 5.1 but I never heard anything actually playing from the center.

kelA: Wow, you have really piqued my curiosity! It does day 5.1 on the box. I'm going to go back and re-listen to my Pulse DVD; I didn't even realize that! I will confirm with you here if my center channel is silent as well. Thanks for pointing that out! -Glenn

i have watched all of these to the point of almost being obsessive!! lol!! first and foremost, you might as well buy the pulse dvd set. even though roger waters is absent, you don't miss him. the video is pretty good being from many years earlier, and the sound is very good, dolby digital 5.1. the pyro effects, lasers, and the quality of the show in general really keep you watching. comfortably numb and run like hell are my favorites on the pulse set. next at a very close second and maybe even tied for first, david gilmour live a royal albert hall. excellent video, and excellent sound, again dolby digital 5.1. they also offer this in blue-ray. basically it is gilmour with his own lineup that includes a few guys who have played with floyd before and more. they play gilmour's newest album, 'on an island' in it's entirety and also play many floyd tunes. 'on an island' is different than most floyd albums, but still a top notch album. as mentioned before, echoes is tops on this dvd as well as fat old sun. not too much in the way of a huge stage show, just gilmour doing things his way. this dvd also has extra footage showing some interesting parts of that tour. next would be roger water's 'in the flesh live' dvd. basically water's with his own lineup with a few of the guys who have played with floyd or waters in different times. they play many floyd tunes but also play many of water's solo tunes which in my opinion are just ok. dolby digital 5.1 here as well. great video and sound. also great back-up singers on this one. the chick in the middle(hot), is doyle bramhall's wife. between him and snowy, they just about cover gilmour's licks. next would be david gilmour's meltdown concert dvd. very good video and sound. mostly acoustic versions of floyd tunes. very good though. there is another gilmour dvd that is very hard to find where he plays mostly tunes from his first solo album. not for sure the title of that one. maybe fish can help us out here! if anyone here has not heard that album, you might want to give it a serious spin. there is my spin for what it's worth...