The Gallery

Some further notes on the room. I now have the speakers in better order. From left to right they are:

KBWO - H OO cane - CW III blk - Jamo D830 - H III ch - Syn F2 - spare ~~~ H OO cane - CW III blk - Jamo D830 - H III ch - Syn F2 - spare  - KBWO

I arranged them this way instead of symmetrical in pairs so that the sound stage would be the same width between each pair. The Jamo C830 were also called the Concert 8 and were the European speaker of the year in 1997. Spectacular sound. I have the Khorns hooked up to speakers A on the Sansui and speaker B outlet is routed to a Niles switch box with volume controls (the Colter Comparator from early experimentation with Doc). The Comparator sits on the Left CW III and is wired with variety of dual bananas, single bananas, spade lugs for connection to anything that walks by. Note that although there are 6 pairs of speakers, I have reserved one set of wires so we can hook up anything else for a quick A/B comparison.

I still need to remove excess Klipsch inventory from the wall far left so the sofa can be moved back a bit. The room is 15x23 approximately so seating nearly against the back wall gives a good soundstage for the Khorns. Ceilings are 8', and the L:W ratio is 1.533, so very close to the golden ratio. I'll check dimensions tonight.

Hmmm now where to put the Jubilees?

M

Good post, but I'm unfamiliar with the bold terms. I'm guessing you're a little fuzzy on them, too...

[;)]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Michael,

Is this room above a basement or is it on a concrete slab? I thought when you mentioned the vinyl, that you might end up with 10,000+ lbs of speakers, equipment, furniture, vinyl, pilgrims, and cherry floor so tightly packed that the structure fails. Got some floor support jacks under there?

Wouldn't want to marr any of those beauties now would you?

Kimball

Dtel, yes those are the Jamo 830's on the Sanus stands. Sweet sounding little speakers. And I use wheels a LOT. I have a Milwaukee 2 wheeler with pneumatic tires and have made probably 8 dollys in the past year for specific speaker stacks, amp rack, or general use. Nothing like having good wheels!

Good point Kimball. This is a 1950 house and the living room is over a crawl space. I like the wood, you get some floor shock. The floor is a little bouncy (yes it was before I added two tons of speakers), so I'm going to be putting a beam under there to stiffen it up. That way the joist spans will be 2x10 only 8 feet long. That should do it.

David (seadog) was over last night from Texas. He and a coworker were in Indiana for a couple days so we arranged a little get together. Look forward to reading David's thoughts about the setups.

• 1 year later...

[forward in time +1 YEAR]

This room has been a nightmare. For the better part of 2008 it gathered speakers. To the left, between the sofa and the large picture window was at one time a huge wall of speakers IN BOXES- R5800W inwalls, KP250 oak, HWL, outdoor subs x 4, a bunch of purchases I made as an employee while at Klipsch. Those items have been either sold or moved to the workshop, so that cleared up part of the mess.

However, there is still a pair of 60th Anniversary Klipschorns NIB, and now a set of Klipschorn Jubilees in the middle of the room. I'd say that since the last Pilgrimage that this room has had ZERO listening time. The Sansui AU9900A that I purchased to drive the Colter Comparator (and thence all the various speaker systems) has never worked correctly, both overheating and one channel noisy, so there hasn't been any power to anything in ages.

I made a half-hearted attempt with the Jubilees with DBX driverack and Crown D150II and D75A but only had a little RS mixer for preamp and it was too noisy. THe Jubilees have less than one hour on them.

Now that I have proper Crown amplification for the Jubilees via XTi 1000 and XTi2000 and a sweet quiet Yamaha C40 pre thanks to HiFiJim, it's time to give this room a second go. The only sad part is that with this Jubilee amp rig I'll only be running them, I don't have any A/B speaker selector in the system. I suppose I could 'Y' the Yamaha output to a second amp to run my 1972 Khorns or other speakers, but I think between the Khorns and the Jubilees that will pretty much take up the listening wall.

So in a little while I'll be cranking up the jams on the Hearth Room system and disassembling the Gallery speaker comparison setup. I bet probably 30 guys have had listens to this over the past couple of years and it's been fun, but time to do something different.

So here goes.....

Sounds like it's time for a complete overhaul? When you turn it upside down, the cherry will be on top (the traditional finishing touch). Keep the pitchurs a-flowin', my man! [Y]

Klipschorn- Jubilee- Racks -Jubilee- Klipschorn

Rack consisting of Ah! CD player (with tubes), MMF-5 turntable, Yamaha C40 pre, Crown DC300IIA

Coming next- Y splitter out of pre into Crown XTi1000 and XTi 2000 for the Jubilees.

Keeping it simple, did some Khorn listening today, sounds like music to me.

THe Jubilees aren't powered up yet, but I did enjoy some Steely Dan on the Crown powered Khorns today when a forum member from Chicago dropped by. They are sounding sweet and I'd forgotten how GREAT this room sounds. The plaster walls, 3/4" cherry floors on wooden frame get so energized by the mighty Klipschorns, it's good to have the Gallery back.

Plus I can hang out and view my own artwork, I guess I was pretty good back in the day!

Michael