Tubes vs. Transistors

Audry

Audry,

That's a question not easily answered and there has been much discussion of the virtures of tube vs. solid state here on this forum especially lately. You might be better served trying a search here on tubes.

Most seemed to feel you get a "warmer" clearer sound w/ tube amps and you get netter low end punch from SS power. As for why? Bass/woofers need more power and SS amps can usually supply that....why are tube clearer...uh well...I dunno...but I'm sure Mobile will give this thread his attention.

Besides...why's a nice girl from Ft. Lauderdale wanna know about tubes anyway!cwm1.gif ...just kiddin' neighbor!

Good Luck

Dave

Solid state all the way.

Tube amps move over Wink.gif

Krell FPB600 against any tube amp any day baby.Celeste MOON W5 VS any bottle amp.Pass and Boulder are other top flight ss products I would pit against any tube amps.

Who says SS amps are not smooth and refined? WHO?

Smile.gif

SS amps dont require transistor changes like tube amps ...TUBE CHANGES.Easy to maintain,much better measured performance(dont try to argue here folks),better real world performance.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I really like nice stereos. I don't know a lot about the technology though. I have decided to build a nice system and am considering a used Mesa Barron amplifier. It's really big and a good deal. My roommates brother thinks I'm nuts but this thing is awsome. He says they don't make it any more. Would that be a problem?

Thanks,

Audry

Well, this is a very loaded question within ye ole Klipsch forum with many pulling out their measuring tools, distortion specs, pocket books, Stereophile Recommended Components List, name dropping, watts expounding, tube rolling....

Having listened to both tube and solid state, I can comfortably say that one could easily live with good examples of both, and be just as ignorant and unaware of what they were and were not missing, with about the same amount of glee, as a Zoo-born polar bear is aware of the Great Tundra. Indeed.

Earz speaks of the Krell FPB600. Well, this stereo amp comes in at hefty $10-16,000 or so, obviously on the lighter side used. Able to put out massive power into any load, I see no real need for this beast if your tastes run towards extremely sensitive horns or small scall, intimate music, where even a sub-$1000 SET amp can walk all over the shifting bias Krell.

Tube amps give you something that even top notch solid state has trouble doing. This is this area of tone and harmonic richness, the soul and emotion of the music that quality tube amps seem to really convey over solid state. Even 40 year old vintage, Williamson design tube amps that price less than a night at The Marriot in NYC can convey this nuance over good solid state. And when comparing the typical mid-fi solid state offerings, the kind of which you see in 95% of the homes across North America, the kind that grace the displays of Best Buy, Circuit City, and Sears...well, it is simply no contest. None.

But rest assured, you can find happiness in both camps, especially if unaware of what you are missing... I walk into my Mom's house and fire up 17 year old NAD integrated mated to a pair of old ADS speakers and can enjoy the music with a smile ear to earz. Still, when I walk into my place, and throw on "The Kings of Convenience" on vinyl via my Linn - 2A3 monos, and vintage Cornwalls, I immediately see what was missing. The nuance and emotion and inner detail...the communication and link with the musical event... In essence, you are just so much closer to the emotion of the performance (Yet my foot was a tappin' to that NAD integrated less than 3 hours before).

As for your inquiry concerning the Mesa Barron, I have never actually heard this amp but have heard a bevy of Mesa tube guitar amps. The Barron is supposed to be an ok tube offering and if you are getting it for a steal, you will probably be happy. Rest assured, I do believe there are better tube amp choices out there but if circumstances push you toward the Mesa Barron, then give it a whirl. I DO think there are other options that might make more sense.

Remember, tube amps DO involve changing the tubes when they go down... and they are more interactive, much like a fine sports car. Some want a Toyota Camry for turnkey operation and moving from here to there. A tube amp is going to require a bit more hands on dealing. I used to turn my solid state amps on and leave them on without a worry or care; my SS equipment remained on for years at a time, with not a blip of trouble. This is not so with all tube amps, although they are usually much more simple circuits than their solid state brethren.

Personally, and by sheer guess alone, I think you are up for the tube experience. I say do some shopping and reading and try to find a place that has some quality tube gear and solid state counterpoints. Give them a listen. My guess is you'll hear the difference.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Audry,

I am a tube guy myself, but I do accept the fact that there are some very good transistor amps out there...

But I digresss...Your problem is not really a tube vs transistor issue. You could in fact hear both and take a decision based on a mix of different factors(sound, practicality, price, opinions) etc. The real problem is that - whichever the amplifier technology chosen - your system must function properly, as a whole! And the best judge for that are your own ears, i.e. you must really like the end result. System matching is indeed a very complicated issue, but your ears will never lie to you. Trust them and you won't be sorry!

Those are my two cents...

Aristidis

www.aca.gr/pop_coumpas.htm

I really haven't decided about speakers. I have a lot of my parents old records and really want to listen to them. They are in really nice condition but the turntable doesn't have a needle - probably should get a new turntable it is vintage (in the bad way). Turntables have a sexy quiet precision about them.

I like a lot of speakers. Klipsch are nice, my boss has the big corner models and they are unbelievable but they don't make those anymore. Seems like everything I like is no longer made. I do not want to build a big video hi fi set up as they seem a little juvenile, I like real hi fi. I guess it's like sailboats vs. motorboats (class vs. no class you know).

The more I learn about this stuff the more difficult it is to decide. I appreciate how well informed you guys are about this. I have to go to work now. See you tonight if your still here.

Audry

This message has been edited by Audry on 01-17-2002 at 11:58 AM

Arcos ultimate advice is a good start and something to keep with you from beginning to end. It is indeed a system question (as well as a room one). You can run out a buy top flight components tube or solid state and put them together and have top flight mediocrity! It does indeed take time and a bit of studying with some definite listening involved. Assembling a full system that is synergistic is no easy task...it can be fun or frustrating depending.

One thing I would slightly revise with ole Arco's comment concerning "the ears not lying" is that with experience and exposure, you will begin to become accustomed to more subtle differences/changes and will also learn what is more pleasing to you as you get a handle on the different sonic signatures of the equipment and the interaction. And Arco is right; just when you think it is ironed down, you might shift a component, tube, or add a tweak, and it all snaps into place.

You might find a good tube or quality solid state integrated amp a great place to start. When you get back this eve, list your musical tastes and what you hope to achieve. I am sure you will find many on here willing to help.

kh

ps- I see you love surfing. I must sadly admit I have been surfing for 30 years now... Still love it. I live on the coast of NC and am looking at the surf as I type. Knee High... This is the surf check camera two houses over... http://www.surfchex.com/cameras/crystalnew.htm

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-17-2002 at 01:08 PM

In our neck of the words, skip on over The Audio Center in Deerfield Beach and see Mike. In all the years of listening to dealer's systems, this is the first one, and the only one I know of in our neighborhood, who has systems that somehow sound "right". (Except that the owner, Howard, hates horns. But then every dealer I know has subtle ways to put down the competition, only Howard is not subtle.) He sells the French made Audio Refinement front-end with the French made Focal JMlabs speakers. So take his advice judiciously. They know what they are doing there, but they are traveling down a different path than the one horn lovers use.

These are very light drivers that provide a charming, soothing, delicate, coherent and smooth sound. It is NOT the hard, stiff B&W cones with Krell concrete blocks that Sound Advice sells. So while the French sound does not have the tangible "thunk" of the Krell and B&W mid-bass, they do have a wonderfully liquid mid-range and a clear high-end (almost as good as Klipsch horns). Cymbals almost sound like cymbals on these systems.

If I knew I was going to spend as much money as I have (a few $K) and I was starting out again, I could see myself getting his whole set-up (with the deliciously polite and detailed Rotel CD player) and never becoming a tweaking audiophile. There are many things that his smoothly cohesive system does not do that the massive amp and solid cone approach of Krell and B&W does, or that super-efficient horns do, but there are far more things that they do "right" and "musical."

In fact, as wonderful as the drums and the bass were on the $70K ML Statements with their foot-locker size Krell amps, "little miss sensitive ears" and I were more impressed with the Audio Refinement & Focal JMlabs combination. She was a flautist in high school and still has the precious old thing. This is nice to be able to compare the real thing in my listening room against a recorded flute piece on my system (see "DMP does DSD" on SACD). I can't say I have listened to flute pieces on lots of other systems. I can't say I have listened to lots of other systems. Yet, no other system that I have heard captures the smooth tones of this instrument as well as this French combination.

And no, they do not like tubes. But what they offer is by far the closest that any SS amp I have heard come to the only tube sound.

as for sailing, that is a hobby that is almost a sport, where motor boating down here is smothing anybody can and does do, using tube amps is more like a audio hobby also, (damn) than it is a passing recreation ...

and remember, HORNS love tubes!

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 01-17-2002 at 10:47 PM

Audry,

If you like the K-horns (corner horns) watch the newspaper.

I used to live in Boca up until 6 years ago and I had bought two sets of K-horns and the most expensive being $900 for the pair. They would go great with a high quality tube or not so bright SS amps. You won't need over 20 watts either.

Hope you don't live in a condo.

Pete Z.

Watch ebay also .... you'll need to look for some khorns within p/u distance ... they weigh 167 lbs a piece although the top horns can be easily seperated from the bottom .... Klipsch claims they will resume production some day ... soon ???? They run around $1500-2000 a pair on ebay .... around $6000 new. You might like other Heritage speakers also. I use a tube preamp for stereo into a quality transitor A/V receiver. Its WELL worth the effort. Welcome to the Klipsch site ... you'll learn a lot here ... we could use a lot more woman.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 01-17-2002 at 02:33 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Audry:

I like a lot of speakers. Klipsch are nice, my boss has the big corner models and they are unbelievable but they don't make those anymore. Seems like everything I like is no longer made.

Audry

She may not get them but she sure knows what they are. You know Audry, they can still be had for under $2000, and there are those on this BB who have picked them up for under a grand. The Belle, La Scala and Cornwall would be nice choices as well, especially if you're gonna drive them with tube amps...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Hey mobile! How about draggin' the Cornwalls out onto the beach and give us a wave and a smile! Oops---it's nighttime there...how about a romantic evening shot lit only by the warm glow of your tubes...

Take care, fini