Friday Evening Class Sign Up

• Moderators

Please email me (amy.unger@klipsch.com) if you would like to attend any or all of these workshops. They will be held at the Klipsch Headquarters from 5-9pm Friday June 20th, approx 1:20 min long-- 3 sessions of each.

Space is limited-- first come first serve.

A = Forum member Larry Clare will host listening and talk of Classical music. Hear the classical greats on a flagship system. Enjoy commentary from Larry on the cuts, the performers.

B = A must attend class for any want to be Beta tester. Hear from the top guys in the Klipsch Engineering Dept. on what engineering wants from and in a beta tester. Learn about the agreements needed and process used in volunteering as a Klipsch Beta Tester.

C = Learn all there is to know about Passive networks from Engineer Roy Delgado. Yes, he is so good; he can have anyone designing passive networks in under 2 hours. This guy has such talent he can balance a 3 way network using only rocks and bailing wire. Toss in a few fishing stories and you have a fun filled time.

Thank you Trey for the course descriptions [:)]

Here is where we are as of 4/28. Please let me know if you are missing or if anything is incorrect below:

Forum Name Larry's Classical
Loud&Clear 1
Ann (loud and clear) 2
customsteve01 3
Caroline (customsteve01) 4
srobak 5
groomlakearea51 6
Michael (groomlakearea51) 7
BobRiff 8
JoeRiff 9
DoubleJ 10
JamesV 11
Bill H. 12
Seadog 13
bhendrix 14
Ryan (bhendrix) 15
alliclaytor 16
blsamuel 17
Alea (blsamuel) 18
fyrpwr 19
dvcdude 20
dtel 21
dtel's wife 22
dtel's Daughter 23
dtel's son-in-law 24
Buddy (dtels) 25
Skonopa 26
damonrpayne 27
IndyKlipschFan 28
Beesley 29
Robert Land 30
Forum Name Beta Tester
Loud&Clear 1
Ann (loud and clear) 2
customsteve01 3
Caroline (customsteve01) 4
srobak 5
groomlakearea51 6
Michael (groomlakearea51) 7
BobRiff 8
JoeRiff 9
DoubleJ 10
JamesV 11
Seadog 12
bhendrix 13
Ryan (bhendrix) 14
alliclaytor 15
blsamuel 16
Alea (blsamuel) 17
fyrpwr 18
Pat (fyrpwr) 19
Don (fyrpwr) 20
Jim (fyrpwr) 21
dvcdude 22
picky 23
Verna (picky) 24
j-malotky 25
dtel 26
dtel's wife 27
dtel's Daughter 28
dtel's son-in-law 29
Buddy (dtels) 30
Skonopa 31
Michael Hurd 32
damonrpayne 33
IndyKlipschFan 34
Beesley 35
Forum Name Roy's Networks
Loud&Clear 1
Ann (loud and clear) 2
William F. McDermott 3
customsteve01 4
Caroline (customsteve01) 5
srobak 6
groomlakearea51 7
Michael (groomlakearea51) 8
JamesV 9
Seadog 10
bhendrix 11
Ryan (bhendrix) 12
alliclaytor 13
blsamuel 14
Alea (blsamuel) 15
fyrpwr 16
Pat (fyrpwr) 17
Don (fyrpwr) 18
Jim (fyrpwr) 19
dvcdude 20
BobRiff 21
JoeRiff 22
j-malotky 23
dtel 24
dtel's wife 25
dtel's Daughter 26
dtel's son-in-law 27
Buddy (dtels) 28
Skonopa 29
Michael Hurd 30
HarryO 31
damonrpayne 32
IndyKlipschFan 33
Beesley 34
Robert Land 35

There is somewhat limited seating for these workshops, about 15 for each session due to room size (so we can run 45 through each class in toto) , so please get your name in to Amy (email please) if you plan on being part of the fun on Friday night.

If you wish to do only 1 or 2 of the workshops that's cool too.

I heard Roy can rewire a Crown DC300 to put out 500 watts per channel using only a Ding-Dong wrapper.

• Moderators

No need to give up seats, folks. There will be 3 sessions of each class. We're good up to about 45 for Larry's (15 in each session), and we can probably accommodate more folks than that for the other 2.

No worries!

Let me clarify what the classical sessions are about -- these will feature classical music DVDs, for WATCHING as well as Listening! I've become convinced over time that seeing the music while it's being performed adds a lot of information. Gary and I watched many ARTS TV classical videos when we went through our classical education blitz a few years ago, and I think we both thought it was worthwhile.

More recently, we carried this onward to classical concerts at Strathmore Hall in Bethesda, where we had seats right over the side of the concert stage and could see everything going on in the symphony while it happened. We saw Symphonie Fantastique in 2006, and last fall's rave show, The Planets.

Therefore, I'll be having all DVDs in the Pilgrimage classical sessions. The following is a tentative playlist from which selections will be made:

• J.S. Bach Brandenburg No. 6, II Zukerman & Benyamini
  • Double Violin Concerto, II Stern & Mintz
  • Partita No. 3 solo violin, I Gidon Kremer
  • Berlioz Damnation de Faust Solti, Chicago Orch & Chorus, soloists
  • Dvorak Symphony No. 9 "New World" Abbado, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
  • Monteverdi Vespers of 1610, Ave Maris Stella John Eliot Gardiner, baroque instruments and vocalists
  • Mozart Symphony No. 41, IV Haenchen, Kammerorchester CPE Bach
  • Orff Carmina Burana Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Ozawa
  • Rodrigo Concierto De Aranjuez Pepe Romero, guitar, Academy of St Martin in the Fields, Marriner
  • Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4 von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
  • Verdi Requiem (tentative) von Karajan, Price, Cossotto, Pavarotti, Ghiaurov & La Scala Orch

Larry

EDIT: Each selection is only a single movement or one to a few items, from each DVD. Most selections will run from 4 to 8 minutes, and only one or two will be over 10 minutes. So please don't think you'll have to sit there and listen to entire symphonies!

I posted the following in the Pilgrimage Podcasts thread, and thought it would be useful to post it here:

icon-quote.gif
IndyKlipschFan:

Larry not to steal your thunder but rather enhance it?

I would LOVE a copy of your list of music before your talk.
Yes, I wish to buy it too. I want to do this so I am familiar with it enough you can then let me understand the background and appreciate it more! Just a thought.

Roger, I posted a complete list of the ones I'm planning to use in the Friday Night Sign-Up thread, but didn't include DVD catalog numbers. The following gives the names and catalog numbers of what I think are the best DVDs for your purpose. I suggest focusing on the specific movements and selections I gave in the previous post:

• Hector Berlioz -- Damnation de Faust, ArtHaus 102 023. This is a magnificent work for orchestra, chorus and 3 soloists, conducted by the great Georg Solti
  • Antonin Dvorak -- Symphony No. 9, "From the New World", EuroArts 2056048. Fabulous, "top-notch" orchestra, conductor, and camera work, perhaps the best orchestral DVD I've ever seen.
  • Claudio Monteverdi -- Vespers of the Blessed Virgin of 1610, Archiv 073 035-9. Outstanding performance of one of the greatest early baroque works IMO, with early 1600's chorus, soloists, and period instruments filmed in the San Marco Basilica in Venice.
  • Carl Orff -- Carmina Burana (also Beethoven's 9th Symphony), Phillips B2504-09 Ozawa, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
  • Giuseppe Verdi -- Requiem, DG B0004665-09, amazing cast of soloists including Leontyne Price and a very young Pavrotti, and the very fine La Scala chorus and orchestra.

Larry