Time to go shopping ...

Deang

...for my new Plasma. After months of painstaking research I've decided I want a Pioneer Kuro. After months of staring at my budget I've decided I can't have a Pioneer Kuro. So, a 720p Panasonic is at the top of my short list. I can do 1080p, but then I have to drop down to 40". I'm buying in less than two hours, so that's how long you all have to tell me what I should and shouldn't do. :)

IMHO, I would never buy a plasma. burn in, so many better less expensive tvs with just as good or better picture. I love my sony 60" 1080p. if anything goes wrong most of the time it is the bulb. just replace it under warranty. plasma, well the whole tv would need to be replaced, at least in my experince.

IMHO. I'd never buy anything but a plasma. Your research pointed you in the right direction. The Kuro line has an amazing picture that other screens can't match due to the fact that they can not reproduce as dark of a black as the Kuro's can. If you're like me and very rarely purchase a TV, save your money for a Kuro. I guarantee you won't be sorry.

I guess by now you own a new tv. I couldn't afford the Pioneer over Christmas so I bought a 50" 720p Panny. I'm very impressed. burn in isn't an issue but image retention can be for the 1st couple 100 hrs. If you see it just change channels & wait a few seconds. AVS advice is to turn factory settings down when new.

I bought the Panasonic TH-42PZ80U for $1439 plus tax. I had no intention of really pursuing Blue-Ray or HD-DVD, but I had so much drool on the front of my shirt after spending some time with the formats in the store I decided it was going to be 1080p or bust. I wanted closer to 50", but to get 1080p I had to drop back to 42". I'm pretty close to the screen at 10', and even closer if I decide to just sack out on the floor if I'm wiped -- which probably happens more than I care to admit. After getting it set up, I wasn't exactly kicking myself for not having the 50" I set out to get. In spite of the gorgeous picture, I have a problem. I absolutely cannot get my Sony 9100ES HDMI port to handshake with the Panny HDMI input. After three hours of aggravation, which included searching through the archives of the AVS and Home Theater Forums -- I gave up. I guess this problem is common, it sure seems like it from the stuff I read. So, I went the Component route, which means I can't take advantage of the upscaling feature of my deck -- I'm stuck at 480p until I get my Blue-Ray player and HDTV box installed. Of course my concern right now is that if this is a Sony issue, the thought of going with a Sony Blue-Ray player isn't exactly giving me the warm fuzzies.

The 1080P has 6 million pixel screen compared to the 720P 2 million pixel screen. I would get the 1080P on any size starting at 40". Sometimes the cable quality will affect the "hanshake" between these units, HDMI 1.1 verses 1.3a. Some older Sony Bluray players are already obsolete and most of the new ones are backordered. The trick is to get the ones with the network feed so you can update the firmware which is often and plenty. Panasonic has a new Bluray player with a card slot input. LG is still selling the combo Bluray/HD-DVD. Denon also has two new models.

JJK

The 1080P has 6 million pixel screen compared to the 720P 2 million pixel screen.

You need to check your math...

1080P = 1920 pixels (horizontally) by 1080 pixels (vertically)... which is 2 million (2,073,600) pixels ...

720P = Is generally, either 1368 x 768 = 1,050,624 or 1280 x 720 = 921,600.

Tony