dtel's wild ride at Margaritaville, Grand Cayman

• Moderators

I think the dj was enjoying himself more than I was.

Skonopa, the two extremes of those pics is awesome. I love the snow....but I also love the tropical paradise of the islands. Tough choice...Buddy can't wait for another cruise, but asked me today if we could go back to the Smokies when it snows this year.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad your back safe and sound, looks like a nice vacation, nice pictures, the one of your grandkids is great, that little heartbreaker with the blue eyes, better watch her .................. Relax, hope Christy feels better now ........... she should !!!!!!!!!!!!

She feels better now OB, here's a pic for you, I know how much you like Palm trees they were everywhere !

Dude...now that's what I'm talking about... Palm trees! Anyone can see some stinky ole sand anywhere but Palm trees... are to sooooooooth the eye!

[A]

Sounds like you had a fantastic trip!!!

Skonopa, the two extremes of those pics is awesome. I love the snow....but I also love the tropical paradise of the islands. Tough choice...Buddy can't wait for another cruise, but asked me today if we could go back to the Smokies when it snows this year.

I would love to visit a tropical paradise myself, but it seems as of late, most of my recent trips have been the snowing up-in-the-mountains type. But, I have to admit, that was some seriously awesome skiing that week I was in Colorado this past February!

Someday, I'll have to go on a cruise. However, I'll have to try to get with a group, as it seems that cruise liners charge double occupancy, thus being that I am single, it just more than I want to pay. Don't those people realize that there are those of us that are not married and do like to travel?

I guess why the ski trips with the local ski club are much more feasible to me. However, there was one club in the local area that was offering a two-week scandinavian trip that I would just friggan LOVE to go on. Unfortunatly, I cannot spare the two weeks right now (not to mention that I just don't feel like paying some $4,000+ for that trip right now).

Dude...now that's what I'm talking about... Palm trees! Anyone can see some stinky ole sand anywhere but Palm trees... are to sooooooooth the eye!

Angel

Sounds like you had a fantastic trip!!!

There is a palm tree in that picture? Some how after seeing that pic, this song keeps coming to mine... "She wore an itsy-bitsy-teenie-weeny yellow polka-dotted..." well, you know how it goes... [6]

Hey, gotta pass the time being cooped in the basement with my laptop conneted wirelessly due to tornado warning in this area. [:o]

• Moderators

in realize that you're accustomed to it; but, how bad was the humidity?
i'd love to take that cruise; however, i have chronic asthma and heat & humidity practically kill me.

BigStewMan, the humidity was pretty high during this trip. I think just being on a cruise tends to help most ailments! However, our last cruise was in 12/06 and the humidity was not as bad. The water temperature was about the same on both trips. I say, pack up the inhalers and head to tropical paradise, it's truly something to experience. Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel are all beautiful, but IMO Cozumel has the most to offer as a vacation resort.

I think a cruise is definitely the way to go because it gives you a chance to see more than one island, in most cases. Carnival offers cruises from 2 - 14 days, with embarkation ports located within driving distance of most folks.

• Moderators

I would love to visit a tropical paradise myself, but it seems as of late, most of my recent trips have been the snowing up-in-the-mountains type. But, I have to admit, that was some seriously awesome skiing that week I was in Colorado this past February!

Someday, I'll have to go on a cruise. However, I'll have to try to get with a group, as it seems that cruise liners charge double occupancy, thus being that I am single, it just more than I want to pay. Don't those people realize that there are those of us that are not married and do like to travel?

I guess why the ski trips with the local ski club are much more feasible to me. However, there was one club in the local area that was offering a two-week scandinavian trip that I would just friggan LOVE to go on. Unfortunatly, I cannot spare the two weeks right now (not to mention that I just don't feel like paying some $4,000+ for that trip right now).

Steve,

I agree, cruise lines should offer single cruisers a decent rate.

Our vacation planner with Carnival called today to let me know anyone that is/has served in the military is being offered a special rate if they book during this month. According to the planner the military rate is equivalent to Carnival's employee cruise rates. Military personnel that I spoke to on the cruise advised their fare was cut by almost $600.00 on double occupancy. And....normally the military discount is only applied to one cabin, however during the month of May the military discount will be allowed on up to three cabins.

Once you become a past guest of Carnival you will be offered selected cruises at a subtantial savings. For instance, on our 12/06 cruise which was a five day cruise out of New Orleans our fare was approximately $400.00 per person. Several past guests were onboard and we had the opportunity to visit with them. The past guests in most cases paid less than $200.00 per person. The discounted rates are usually offered two to four weeks before the sail date.

This cruise which was 7 days out of Galveston, TX our fare was approximately $650.00 per person, we booked about a year ago. Several past guests booked within the last four to six weeks and their fare was approximately $350.00 per person (which also included the military discount).

We definitely will cruise with Carnival again and do plan to book a cruise sometime toward the end of this year, hopefully at a group rate.

Steve,

I agree, cruise lines should offer single cruisers a decent rate.

Our vacation planner with Carnival called today to let me know anyone that is/has served in the military is being offered a special rate if they book during this month. According to the planner the military rate is equivalent to Carnival's employee cruise rates. Military personnel that I spoke to on the cruise advised their fare was cut by almost $600.00 on double occupancy. And....normally the military discount is only applied to one cabin, however during the month of May the military discount will be allowed on up to three cabins.

I've served in the Army myself for six years (1988-1994). I wonder if I could use that military discount.

Once you become a past guest of Carnival you will be offered selected cruises at a subtantial savings. For instance, on our 12/06 cruise which was a five day cruise out of New Orleans our fare was approximately $400.00 per person. Several past guests were onboard and we had the opportunity to visit with them. The past guests in most cases paid less than $200.00 per person. The discounted rates are usually offered two to four weeks before the sail date.

This cruise which was 7 days out of Galveston, TX our fare was approximately $650.00 per person, we booked about a year ago. Several past guests booked within the last four to six weeks and their fare was approximately $350.00 per person (which also included the military discount).

We definitely will cruise with Carnival again and do plan to book a cruise sometime toward the end of this year, hopefully at a group rate.

Is that ALL??? Geez! I paid nearly $1,500 for that Steamboat, CO ski trip (seven day trip, with six days of skiing)! Granted, that did include everything, including non-stop roundtrip flight from Dulles to Denver and back, bus ride to and from Denver to Steamboat Springs, lodging, lift tickets, some of the meals, day of racing on the race course, and a few other nice little perks. Also the fact that we stayed at probably the nicest place on the mountain didn't excactly help the cost either. That $1,500 was after several discounts that we often get booking as a club. I was figuring a Caribbean cruise such as the one you took was easily a good $2,000 or so for double occupancy!

Still, if I can find a group that is willing to take me along, I'd love to go on a cruise, just to at least experience it once in my lifetime.

• Moderators

Steve,

Your military service is good with Carnival. I think all they require is a copy of your discharge papers. The price I told you above included our cabin for six nights/seven days, all meals, all drinks (tea, juice, lemonade). Soft drinks are purchased separately or with a fountain drink card which costs $35.00 for the week. Alcoholic beverages, tips and spending money is not included. Generally, the cruise line charges $10.00 per day per person for tips, this is charged via your "sail and sign" card. Cash is not used on the cruise. You provide either a credit card or debit card and the cruise line issues you a "sail and sign" card which you use onboard. Anything you purchase (soft drinks, souveniers (onboard) etc is charged to your sail and sign card which is directly linked to your credit card/debit card. You are provided statements by the purser's office while onboard.

Essentially a cruise is all inclusive. When you book through Carnival you can also arrange air fare and hotel at the embarkation port. I am not positive about the air fare, but the hotels are substantially discounted when booked through Carnival.

We are looking into other cruises. If you visit Carnival.com you can choose an embarkation port and view the cruises available from that particular port. We have cruised out of New Orleans and Galveston. Mobile, AL and Jacksonville, FL are also within driving distance for us, so we are also looking at those cruises. Our vacation planner told me a cruise out of Miami, FL aboard the Triumph is truly a once in a lifetime experience, however it's not so much the "ship" that matter, IMO. It's the ports of call. For instance, I don't care to ever go to Montego Bay, Jamaica again. The coast is beautiful, but for the reasons stated earlier, I don't care to go back. I would like to go to Ocho Rios (sp), it's supposed to be really nice. I also have not been to the Bahamas, definitely interested in seeing that. But....I find it difficult to believe any other ports of call would replace Cozumel as our favorite. The beaches are awesome, snorkeling is ranked third in the world (I think) and the people of Cozumel love Carnival Cruise Lines. Apparently Carnival's ships emptied their hulls of all extra supplies each time they docked in Cozumel after Hurricane Wilma devastated the area. Carnival and Coca Cola also teamed up to clean up the water and septic system.

So...all in all....my advice to you, is to go for it. If you are interested in coming down this way for a cruise we can let you know what our upcoming plans are once we make up our minds. BTW, the military discount is good year round for one cabin, however if you book during the month of May you get the military discount on up to three cabins.

On the days you are "in port" such as Cozumel, Jamaica etc. you need cash for cabs, entrance fees (at some locations) souveniers, etc. Most business establishments in port do accent Visa/Mastercard, credit cards, debit cards.

Steve,

Your military service is good with Carnival. I think all they require is a copy of your discharge papers. The price I told you above included our cabin for six nights/seven days, all meals, all drinks (tea, juice, lemonade). Soft drinks are purchased separately or with a fountain drink card which costs $35.00 for the week. Alcoholic beverages, tips and spending money is not included. Generally, the cruise line charges $10.00 per day per person for tips, this is charged via your "sail and sign" card. Cash is not used on the cruise. You provide either a credit card or debit card and the cruise line issues you a "sail and sign" card which you use onboard. Anything you purchase (soft drinks, souveniers (onboard) etc is charged to your sail and sign card which is directly linked to your credit card/debit card. You are provided statements by the purser's office while onboard.

Essentially a cruise is all inclusive. When you book through Carnival you can also arrange air fare and hotel at the embarkation port. I am not positive about the air fare, but the hotels are substantially discounted when booked through Carnival.

That's cool that my military service will grant me a discount [H]! I do have my discharge papers on file, so that would not be a problem.

I knew about the all inclusiveness of cruises as well as using a special card onboard ship (most likely done so they don't have to worry about keeping a lot of hard currency on board as well as easier to deal with multiple currencies). I saw a program on the Travel Channel a little while back called "Cruise Dos and Don'ts". Had all kinds of good information about how to go about taking part on a cruise. There are people that do go for the ship itself (i.e, they like to gamble on board as well as watching the on-board shows, watching the sunset from the deck, etc) as well as those that are more interested in the port of calls.

We are looking into other cruises. If you visit Carnival.com you can choose an embarkation port and view the cruises available from that particular port. We have cruised out of New Orleans and Galveston. Mobile, AL and Jacksonville, FL are also within driving distance for us, so we are also looking at those cruises. Our vacation planner told me a cruise out of Miami, FL aboard the Triumph is truly a once in a lifetime experience, however it's not so much the "ship" that matter, IMO. It's the ports of call. For instance, I don't care to ever go to Montego Bay, Jamaica again. The coast is beautiful, but for the reasons stated earlier, I don't care to go back. I would like to go to Ocho Rios (sp), it's supposed to be really nice. I also have not been to the Bahamas, definitely interested in seeing that. But....I find it difficult to believe any other ports of call would replace Cozumel as our favorite. The beaches are awesome, snorkeling is ranked third in the world (I think) and the people of Cozumel love Carnival Cruise Lines. Apparently Carnival's ships emptied their hulls of all extra supplies each time they docked in Cozumel after Hurricane Wilma devastated the area. Carnival and Coca Cola also teamed up to clean up the water and septic system.

So...all in all....my advice to you, is to go for it. If you are interested in coming down this way for a cruise we can let you know what our upcoming plans are once we make up our minds. BTW, the military discount is good year round for one cabin, however if you book during the month of May you get the military discount on up to three cabins.

On the days you are "in port" such as Cozumel, Jamaica etc. you need cash for cabs, entrance fees (at some locations) souveniers, etc. Most business establishments in port do accent Visa/Mastercard, credit cards, debit cards.

That is cool that Carnival helped out like that with the Wilma diaster. I remember seeing how it really tore up Cozemel. Cool they embark from Norfolk, which is only a 3 hour drive from here. That would be the most convenient, but they only go to the Bahamas from there, otherwise they have "cruise to no where", which is they basically go out and back again, and these are usually only 2 or 3 days. If I want to go on a caribbean cruise (which I would if I want to go to Cozumel), I'll have to go to Miami as the closest port of call. If I could find somebody to go with me, those "cruise to nowhere" is good way to get a taste of cruise for pretty cheap (only about $300), plus being only 2 days, I would not even have to take leave from work!

Just looking through the bookings and pricing, I've not seen a cruise they offered that was even close to what I paid for that ski trip (imagine what kind of cruise I could go on for that same $1,500 - just checked - could go on a 14-day Panama Canal cruise!). However, I'll admit that the skiing was really awesome. However, most of the Caribbean cruises that I am interested in are only in the $600 to $700 range per person.

Yes indeed, I'd love to go, but like I said the only thing stopping me is finding someway I could go with a group to avoid having to pay extra fees as an individual traveller. Thus, I'd really be interested in what you guys got planned. Getting an airplane ticket down to New Orleans is pretty inexpensive from here, unless you guys do go on a Bahamas cruise that is departing from Norfolk. With that it'll come down to timing. Given enough advanced notice, I can plan for it, though.

• Moderators

Steve,

The money you would save with your military discount would be considerable.

In all likelihood we would depart from New Orleans (an hour drive from our home), Mobile, AL (a two hour drive) or Galveston, TX (about a six hour drive).

We would book as a group and would be more than happy to include you in the plans. If you fly into Gulfport, MS or New Orleans, LA we could pick you up at the airport and you could ride with us to whatever port we use.

I would really like to go to the Bahamas, but Cozumel is always at the top of my list.

Steve,

The money you would save with your military discount would be considerable.

That would be awesome. The prices I was looking at and quoting were the ones posted directly on thier website. With that in mind, I ought to call them up and see what kind of discount I could get on this "cruise to nowhere" that is coming up in June out of Norfolk. Maybe with the discount, I'll eat the "single booking" fee and just go. Would make for one hell of an interesting weekend.

In all likelihood we would depart from New Orleans (an hour drive from our home), Mobile, AL (a two hour drive) or Galveston, TX (about a six hour drive).

We would book as a group and would be more than happy to include you in the plans. If you fly into Gulfport, MS or New Orleans, LA we could pick you up at the airport and you could ride with us to whatever port we use.

I would really like to go to the Bahamas, but Cozumel is always at the top of my list.

Since I've been to neither the Bahamas, nor Cozumel, I would not mind going to either. Yes, let me know what is coming up as if the timing allows me to, I"ll be very interested in going. That would be very cool and kind of you to do that. I guess with that, I better go get my passport made. [:o] This reminds me, I vagualy recall a posting made sometime back about trying to book a "Klipsch Cruise" or something like that, but apparantly got no takers. I remember being intriqued by it, than completely forgot. Oh well.

• Moderators

The cruise to nowhere would be a good way to get "familiar" with cruising.

I look at cruises about nine to twelve months from now. We definitely do not want to go on a cruise during the "hurricane months".

Carnival is not yet requiring passports, although Elden and I did get our passports before this last cruise. It's not a bad idea to go ahead and get your passport. I think it is good for ten or fifteen years. Passport issuance time has greatly improved. I think your local post office can process your passport application, that's where dtel and I went.

I would love to see the forum members get together and take a cruise. I had posted a thread about six months before our last cruise, but got no takers. Maybe we could try it again, once I get some details together.

In any event I will keep you posted, and by all means let me know what you decide about the Cruise to Nowhere.

I think you would really like it. Most cruises (5-7 days) also have a "singles only get together" on the ship. You could try to get a friend to go with you.

Remember if you book during the month of May your military discount is equal to the employee discount with Carnival. You don't have to cruise during May, just book. Let me know if you decide to do the Cruise to Nowhere and I will give you our Carnival contact person's name.

Hey Dtel's.....

That looks and sounds like one heck of a trip. Cruisin' is a cool thing. I'm glad everyone had such a good time. Cristy can sure do the shots no problem......and.......some very nice palm trees too.