OT: Need Help With Toast for Brother's Wedding

My brother is getting married to the most wonderful girl I've ever met, next Friday. I, being his little and only brother, have been tasked, honored, with the obligation, pleasure to give a toast/speech at the wedding reception.

I'm not sure if you guys know this but I suffer from some extreme anxiety in these sorts of situations and just really have no idea what to say. I am so excited about this wedding, nearly brings me to tears to think of what a perfect couple they are and how wonderful this all is. Nevertheless my mind is drawing a blank as to what should be said in this toast.

Have any of you guys been in a similar situation? What should I say?!

Thanks guys, I know you won't fail me haha

I usually look to the movie jaws to get my toasts...quint said "here's to swimming with bow-legged women" but, i guess you're looking for something a bit more classy.

when i was on active duty in the military, for a while i was in charge of a unit that had to do funerals. the first time that i had to present the flag to the next of kin, i had practiced the speech and knew it backwards and forward--until i got in front of the widow--my mind went totally blank. for a minute, i didn't even know my own name--i remember telling myself to "say something" and i managed to get about half of the speech out. the good thing was, she didn't know what i was supposed to say, so she didn't know that i messed up.

these folks aren't going to be grading you on how well you can recite some lines, just say what's in your heart and you'll be fine, and if you can't think of anything at all--just go punch him in the arm--your brothers.

Have any of you guys been in a similar situation? What should I say?!

Yes.

Keep it short and simple.

I didn't and it is embarrassing when I look back at the video!

It's o.k. to read what you have to say, nobody will hold that against you. Have a small card to read from, large pieces of paper accentuate the shaking of your hands. Read slowly and look up after each line at the lovely couple. Leave your drink on the table while you say the toast and then on the last line, pick up your drink to raise a toast.

Smile.

Greg

Justin,

It's very cool for your brother to be marrying a woman whom you sincerely appreciate.

A couple of thoughts.... First, whatever you end up, from the heart, with will be great.

Lots of wedding toasts begin with humor. Something like: Marriage is a wonderful institution and I wish you well living the rest of your lives in an institution.

Also, you may want to first briefly address your brother, then his bride, then a blessing or wishing well for them as a couple.

googling wedding toast yields gobs of toasts. It could be worth reading through some of those to see if there are any phrases or ideas that ring true for your expression of caring.

I second the idea that it's o.k. to have the toast written for reference. It indicates caring enough to get the words right.

• 2 weeks later...

The speech went off without a hitch... well, except for the hitching of the bride and groom (har har).

Thanks for the advice guys. I kept it short, sweet and honest and it was perfect.

MWS_7648

And who would have known that a fellow bulletin board member would have been there! It's true! Course he'd have to come forward with his name since... well I only know his real life name, but what a set of RF--7's he has ;-)

• Klipsch Employees
Justin, Now that this is over I can tell you about the last time I gave a speech at a wedding. My best friend from 5th grade was getting hitched (again). His first wife was Danna. She had hung around us for the better part of 15 years. Then after 3-4 years of no wife, Tommy got hitched again. The new wife was Lisa. I loaded gear that was on loan from Klipsch and went to Dallas. The wedding went fine. We all were drinking and having a good time. His dad said a few words. Her Mom said a few. A few others said something. Then the mic made it back to me. It was late, I knew I did not have to drive so...well lets say that Danna and Lisa sound a bit to much a like. I called the new bride by the ex-wife’s name...

I think she still likes me.[:$]

LOL, nothing like a slip on the new one's name to melt the ice. I use to get redfaced(perpetually red) when a girl looked at me, so I was surprised to enter Jr High without that nickname. Now it's like, "When is that old poof going to shut-up and sit down"!