Any guesses where I am?

mungkiman

Well, last night was quite exciting. We were seated in the first row of the King's Audience for the celebration. Security for the event was quite amazing, as the leaders from 5 Gulf Coast nations were also in attendance. The guards had machine guns at the ready, with snipers on tops of buildings and scaffold. As VIPs, we were treated well, but still went through security without shoes, belts, watches, etc.

It was broadcast live on NBC, we're told, so I should be able to get a copy eventually.

Edit: It was broadcast on MBC... may never see a copy...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After several speeches, in Arabic, the "Children" from the 1947 King's visit came up on stage, and individually greeted the King, shaking hands, and having a few words! This was definitely one of the times I wish I had a better camera! During the procession, I was within 10 feet of His Majesty! Here is a picture from my seat.

Neat! Pictures of what was once home -- changed considerably since my dad first moved there -- in the 1940s.

For environmental interest see:

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/198903/crossing.the.rub..htm

BTW: The title "Crossing the Rub' " had been provisional at the time -- the working title I used when I wrote the piece was "Through the Heart of the Empty Quarter"

Enjoy your visit!

Erik

Neat! Pictures of what was once home -- changed considerably since my dad first moved there -- in the 1940s.

For environmental interest see:

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/198903/crossing.the.rub..htm

BTW: The title "Crossing the Rub' " had been provisional at the time -- the working title I used when I wrote the piece was "Through the Heart of the Empty Quarter"

Enjoy your visit!

Erik

Very nice article Erik. What an adventure!

Greg

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the links! Everyone on the trip was amazed at the changes that had taken place in the last 50-60 years. I will ask my mother if she remembers anyone by the Mandaville name, although it sounds like you and she were years apart. If your father is still alive, you might ask him if he remembers Ken Webster from Dhahran or Ras Tanura.

I'm home now, after many hours of traveling. Dhahran to Bharain, to Frankfurt, to Seattle, to Portland. I have no idea what time it is, other than what the clock on the wall says. Pretty wierd. Let me know if you, or others, would like to see any additional pictures of what things look like today.

Thebes, if you PM me an address, I can send you a prize! Thanks to all for playing along. What a trip!

Chris

Chris:

I'll be sure to ask my dad about this. Your trip sounds very much like what we had to do a few times a year to go home to visit family from high school and college; too much flying and jet lag.

The last time I was there was in 1994, just before my parents left for retirement. My dad and I went on a week-long camping trip down near the border of Yemen so I could photograph some rock inscriptions in that vicinity, and I had published a couple of other stories based on that trip -- one of which your mom might have seen in an issue of Al Ayyam Al Jamilah.

At any rate, my dad and his family did live in Ras Tanura for quite a few years. We spent the majority of time in Dhahran, but also a bit in Riyadh, as well.

Erik

• Moderators

I am quite sure that Saudi Arabia is just as safe to go visit as going to Russia, anywhere really. Research is key. First off, most of the everyday stereotypes and percerptions are skewed. I live in Canada, but I don't hop on a dogsled at the border.

Michael, you mean to tell me you don't drive a dogsled !..........Probably on some bad days it would be faster. [:P]

• Moderators

Very nice trip, a chance of a lifetime.

Does this mean we can still call you Mungkiman, now that you sat with the King ? [H]

Yes to the pic's, your royalness ! [;)].............sorry couldn't help it.

Hi, Chris:

Yes, both Empty Quarter articles mention my dad, Jim.

Small world, indeed! The 'Jack Mandaville' you mentioned is my uncle (my father's younger brother).

Please send my regards to your mom, as well.

Erik

PS: I'm glad a few of you enjoyed reading the links. I miss desert traveling/camping in Saudi Arabia very much. The closest I've been able to come to that sort of remoteness in this part of the world was a 1985 trip my wife and I made, before we were married: a drive from Texas up to the Northwest Territories and back. The wildness up their is beautiful; just lots of really big 'beasties' snorting and grunting around our tent -- pretty spooky at times.

Hi Erik,

I live in Portland, and my Mom thinks your uncle lives in Tigard, OR. She also hopes he will attend the "geezer" reunion in Seattle, this October. I'm going as an honorary, and hope to meet him.

Here is a link that will take you to picture galleries posted by various members of the trip. Mine is currently the 2nd album. Additional photos will be uploaded over the next several weeks.

http://ecowizards.com/aramco/main.php

Munkingman,

Compliments on your fine photography! Did you have training in composition, or just have the "eye"? Your camera seems to have a fine ability to do exposure -- I was amazed at the "Night sky" pic with the moon in the URH corner, dimly-lit items along the bottom, and sheer black in between, and yet the multi-segment auto exposure compromised very well. That would have been near-impossible in the old days of film, imo.

Well worth the look --

Larry

Thanks Larry,

I was an Art Major, which may have helped with composition, but I know little about my camera. It's probably 4-5 years old, but was decent at the time. I know that there are option for manual control, but I don't know much about them. Still, I was VERY pleased with some of the results. I like the warm colors you get when not using a flash, but I can't always hold the camera steady. This is especially true for night shots. For "Night Sky", I held the camera against a palm tree, to keep it from moving during the long exposure.

I think I got lucky!

Just started looking through your pics, probally have more questions further on.

The signs of the King, what do they say??

I see english on signs is this just certain areas or is it commom? The signs and the language?

So what was the gift from the king, in the big box? Was the coin gold?

The photo of the people in front of the large B&W were those the same people from before? If so very cool!

Looks like one heck of a trip/experience....

thanks for sharing

Hi Brac,

I don't know what the signs say, but wish I did. The people say that this is a great King, with a true interest in providing education, promoting wellness, and developing the rights of women and individuals. Some of the signs appeared to have been up for a while, and many others were installed just prior to his visit.

English was on most of the signs I saw, and was spoken by most of the people I spoke with. I don't think this is uncommon, but most of my experiences were within Saudi Aramco, which has long standing ties to the United States. I believe that Aramco is short for Arabian American Oil Company, and was the first joint venture between both nations, in the 30's.

The gift was different for men and women. My Mom got a traditional outfit (Abaya), some bracelets, and the coin. It's heavy (3 oz), and in the safety deposit box.

The people in the B&W photos are my mother and her friends, and their families. For this event, children and adults were outfitted in "period" clothing copies to re-enact the 1947 meeting for the current King. They really went to great lengths to make this a special reunion, and the group was definitely VIP.

Trip of a lifetime!