Any guesses where I am?

mungkiman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thebes is the winner! I was posting my last clue when you posted yours.

I am in Saudi Arabia. I'll post more pictures tomorrow, if they don't shut me down first!

It's very interesting so far (first time here), and we are being treated VERY well.

The censorship is fairly interesting, too. For example, I can't view Craigslist...

Robot dancing school's got nothing on this place!

My Mom grew up here, as her father was an engineer for Aramco. In 1947, at the age of 9, she attended a banquet with the King. This is the 75th anniversary of The Kingdom, and anybody who attended the '47 banquet, and is still alive, was invited back, and to bring a guest. ALL expenses paid. My round trip, business class tickets (Lufthansa), were more than $12,000!

On Tuesday, we will be attending another Royal Event, and will be in the King's Audience! I'm guessing I won't be able to take pictures at that time, but I will be taking pictures of everything else that I can. A lot of our time is scheduled, but so far it has been very fun. I know it is very special for my Mom, and I am certainly honored to be here with her.

The people are wonderful, very polite, and quite interesting. If it weren't so hot, I might not leave!

As a builder, I am fascinated with the architecture, and would love to visit Dubai. I don't think that will happen, although I have received (almost) everything I have asked for. I keep hearing "Don't ask us what you want, tell us!"

There is quite a lot of activity, with everyone getting ready for the King's visit. Apparently, the last time the King visited Saudi Aramco was in '47, so this will certainly be big. They are trimming palms, planting flowers, and erecting barricades everywhere. I still can't quite believe that we will be VIP's for the event. So far, everything has been provided for free, with simply a flash of my ID badge! Unreal...

I don't really know. Someone said 37 cents a gallon, but I think they were joking. Perhaps that would be a liter price, but I'm speculating. If I learn anything, I'll be sure to let you know. The only filling station I have seen was the "community" station here in the Aramco camp, and I think it was free...

• Moderators

It sounds like you are really enjoying the trip. We would love to hear more about your experiences, even if you have to wait until you get home to tell us some of the details.

Being treated like royalty is a real cool thing. Who knows, your wish to go to Dubai may be granted. It must seems strange everytime you say you want something it happens....kind of like dream land!

Gasoline is supposed to be very cheap over there. Heck, the Saudis just increased production by 300,000 barrels a day....to meet the additional demand....it's not like they need the money!

Have a great time and check in with us whenever you get the chance.

Well, I learned that gas is roughly 85 cents a gallon for premium, and 60 cents for regular! I'm thinking of shipping some home!

Today was no exception to the ongoing hospitality. Some of the people on the trip had horses when they were children, so we went to the stables, and saw some beautiful creatures.

I won, I won, I won!!!!!!!!!!

But what did I win? An oil well? (I'll settle for a really expensive exotic turntable with a $300 cartridge). So how do I provide it for you Thebes?

Easy. In many of these cultures admiring something obligates the host to make it a gift to you. So simply find your way into the King's media room and admire the hell out of a turntable.

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Contuining sharing as you go along.