American Idol Winners bomb, A mystery?

thebes

The national news outlets must be getting desperate for stories. CBS News closed it's broadcast this evening by scratching it's head over why American Idol winners professional careers bomb. They actually labeled it a "mystery".

Duh, maybe because they all suck. Over emoting screeching somehow translates into something anyone whose into music would buy.

Not a fan. Looked at it a total of maybe 20 minutes since the search for the lowest common denominator started. Every time I've seen it the over the top warbling has set my teeth on edge and sent me fleeing into the arms of my Cornwalls. I hug them to me and whisper encouragement to them, "no my friends, none of those pathetic shower stall singers will ever sully your gorgeous mids. I'd rather feed you Barry Manilow thens subject you to that."

The Cornies don't say much when I do this but they sort of, you know, smile at me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I cannot too much of that BM stuff but, CBS is against it, up against it. Is it comedy, entertainment, or the news(?) is just about two too much.

I am starting to like my speakers, but don't know how to sort them out, as of yet. I think they like me a little.

I had never seen it before last night, and caught the last 20 minutes or so (2 songs each) due to a Dancing with the Stars rerun from the night before. [:D] Let me say right now I was appalled. Like you Marty, I couldn't believe how little talent these 2 had. And what made it worse was how those no-talent judges just built up that one kid like he was the next Art Garfunkel. That kid didn't have an ounce of soul, and wouldn't know what a melody was if it hit him in the face. That was also the worst rendition of Imagine I have ever heard, and I'm sure John is rolling over in his grave.

I gotta say the music industry is in a sad state of affairs if this is the best we have to offer...

Mike

Edit: BTW, I have your RLJ albums. Lets go to dinner next Tuesday or Wednesday. Let me know if either of those days work for you.

American Idol Winners bomb, A mystery?

Now you've done it~~~!

Because they are souless zombies who can only vocally regurgitate what has already been done. Bereft of talent. Boring. Pathetic. Terrible. Absolute Bottom of the vommit bucket. I've seen more interesting things laying on their backs on the bottoms of ponds. Yuck.

Sorry I had to get that out of my system. I pray to my favorite Dieties that this is coming to an end.

Merely think of your favorite artist.

Would THEY have fared well, as a teenager, in front of Randy, Paula and what's his name?

"I'm sorry, Miss Joplin, we cannot take you seriously if you insist on that screeching."

I think you are on to something. But how many truly good and interesting artist never made it passed audition #1. I bet there were some really good singers that got passed up because they didn't fit american idols mold of conformity of sound.

I bet there were some really good singers that got passed up because they didn't fit american idols mold of conformity of sound.

Idol is merely a talent search for a record company. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol :

"In an interview with Anderson Cooper on the CBS TV current affairs show 60 Minutes on March 17, 2007 (repeated in extended format on CNN's AC 360 program on March 27, 2007), judge Simon Cowell openly declared that the underlying primary purpose of the Idol franchise (including American Idol) was for 19 Entertainment (the parent corporation that produces the Idol TV shows) to discover new singing talent that can be signed to recording agreements that the corporation maintains with a major record company (Sony/BMG), and benefit from the record sales of contestants and winners who are exposed to the worldwide marketplace through the TV shows. Cowell indicated that revenue from recordings by performers associated with the Idol franchise has already exceeded US $100 million. 19 Entertainment also retains exclusive right of refusal for management and merchandising of any contestant. Exercising management rights is at the sole discretion of 19 Entertainment; in the alternative the contestant performer is free to pursue his or her own career."

Hardly a bomb??? USAToday Complete Chart of Idols Sales Numbers

Published January 11th, 2008

in American Idol and Charts.

Tags: .

For those who love NUMBERS–I love numbers. Who doesn’t love numbers?

1. Kelly Clarkson: 9.4 million total

Breakaway: 5.9 million

Thankful: 2.7 million

My December: 740,000

2. Carrie Underwood: 7.9 million total

Some Hearts: 6.2 million

Carnival Ride: 1.7 million

3. Clay Aiken: 4.8 million total

Measure of a Man: 2.8 million

Merry Christmas With Love: 1.4 million

A Thousand Different Ways: 522,000

All Is Well EP: 53,000

4. (Chris) Daughtry, Daughtry: 3.6 million

5. Ruben Studdard: 2.5 million total*

Soulful: 1.8 million

I Need an Angel: 451,000*

The Return: 236,000

6. Fantasia: 2.3 million total

Free Yourself: 1.8 million Fantasia: 502,000

7. Bo Bice: 706,000 total

The Real Thing: 670,000

See the Light: 36,000

8. Kellie Pickler, Small Town Girl: 702,000

9. Taylor Hicks, Taylor Hicks: 699,000

10. Josh Gracin, Josh Gracin: 695,000

================================

In my opinion 1, 2, 4, and 6 are legitimate artists.. (especially 1,2 and maybe 4 if you like his type of music? And 6 needs to be on Broadway. )

I have talked a lot about Miss Underwood, which to me is what this show is all about. A small town girl growing up on a farm, 4:30 am and milking cows with her family but still singing and having a dream.....Her only claim to fame was a local karaoke bar singer... But without a show like this, she would be still on the farm, maybe married to a farmer in a few years with 6 kids...LOL...(Not that that is all bad too....) She has done awesome IMO and will still be here 5 years from now probably even bigger than most would give her credit for. She has fantastic USA looks.... long blond hair, blue eyes, great body...and of course great pipes..and does not take herself too seriously... (Think Faith Hill or Shania Twain in a few more years.) Carrie Underwood has experienced quite a lot in her career. Her albums and singles have sold 15.7 million in total. Her latest release Carnival Ride
debuted at No. 1 with no surprise and has sold 2.08 million to date.
This past week she experienced a 49% sales increase more than likely
due to her being a new addition to the Opry family. (They seem to think she is very legit?)

I suggest David Cook will do just great as well. Cook was a bartender - starving musician who only went to Idol to support his brother who did not make it , and tried it on a lark... He already filled up a HUGE mall of people and America seems to have spoken and voted him in as this years best! Watch the tour numbers this summer. I bet they will be HUGE as well. Just face it, for a lot of us, these people are not on our radar screens as artists anyhow. (were not grandma's, moms and 12 yr old girls...LOL) The younger David needs to get into a Disney film ASAP. His "cute factor" will wear off in a few years, then what will he do? Ahhhhhhh the life of a pop star.. Love em one min, they are old news the next! Kinda like songs on a iPod..

My 2 cents.

I wish I had been so "un famous or un talented as you all say" yet sell out arenas and had Miss Underwood's numbers and future when I was younger!!.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_underwood

post-5910-13819374184346_thumb.jpg

Indy - I call 'em as I see 'em. It's quite evident someone is buying that crap, but I can say proudly I'm not one of them.

There's no question Carrie Underwood has some talent, and she will be successful because of it, but it's the music most of them are singing (and the style that goes with it) that truly sucks! I would rather sit in a corner and stab myself with a fork than have to listen to that.

Mike

• Moderators

Clarkson and/or Underwood just won American Country Music's Female Vocalist of the Year. IMO, both are extremely talented individuals.

Underwood teamed up with Reba McIntyre for a duet that is absolutely killer!

Aiken's hit, "Measure of Man" is also pretty good.

However, the three artists I mention are primarily country music performers....so if you do not like country music it is probably safe to assume you won't like their music.

We also love to watch the auditions.....but I don't remember watching many shows after the auditions!

Underwood was the anomaly IMO...I don't watch the show but my wife does.........I walked through the den just when the Saiesha sp? girl did her duet with Seal, (not my favorite artist but talented)....Now here is a singer that made it to the final round and sounded soooooo horrible when singing with a pro...or was it that Seal just sounded that great in comparison. It was like listening to a great pair of fully tweeked Klipshhorns and then switching to a pair of kmart specials with blown drivers. I don't know how anyone can watch the show!!!!