Technics SL-1350 Direct Drive Turntable

My mother-in-law's new husband gave me this turntable. Doesn anyone have any info or familiar with this unit. It's a direct drive unit and sounds pretty nice. He brought it over with a thick stack of 70's rock. The table is pristine as are the albums. All are kept in plastic covers and the table looks near new. I'm pretty stoked and will listen tonight once my lovely wife gets home from a movie and I can pass off the kids.

Thanks for any info or thoughts.

Cool! Nice gift. Indirectly through the mother-in-law too. Can't beat that.

I have an SL1210 MK2. If the 1320 is anything like it, try using a Sumiko heahshell and Denon DL160 HOMC Cart. I have a pretty long thread on audiogon about carts with the SL1200:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1204087493&read&keyw&zztechnics+sl1200+cartridge

Let us know how you like the TT.

Cool looking table, just don't use the stacker:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TECHNICS-SL-1350-TURNTABLE-DUSTCOVER-SL-1650-DUST-COVER_W0QQitemZ160007207173QQihZ006QQcategoryZ48649QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

I am really enjoying the table. It's ben a long time since I've spun vinyl and never on a system like I have now. I'm defintely not using the stacker. Sounds very. very good to my ears. [:) ] I'll probably update the cartridge. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'll look on AK for any threads on these tables.

I am really enjoying the table. It's ben a long time since I've spun vinyl and never on a system like I have now. I'm defintely not using the stacker. Sounds very. very good to my ears. [:) ] I'll probably update the cartridge. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'll look on AK for any threads on these tables.

Check out the thread on audiogon that I posted above. I think that you have the same basic table and arm.

Thanks for that link on your thread tigerwoodKhorns. I sold my Rega P3 but kept my Denon DL103 cartridge. I have been seriously thinking about the SL1210MkII as a replacement - still using the Denon. The build quality of the Technics is amazing, regardless of price. I'd hate to think what the Technics would be worth to buy now if the costs hadn't been amortized over the years...

I figure my direct drive technics has cost me 3 dollars a year since I bought it new. Cartridge and stylus replacements not included. For an off topic tangent, since I hooked up the sunfire pre/pro amp combo, the table has been quieter to my ears. Experts, tell me, is this because of a better phono stage? Or are separates quieter with a balanced connection? Nothing is different except for the switch from a receiver to these separates.

A better phono stage should be quieter than a receiver's built-in phono pre-amp. After all, it cost more, didn't it?

Seriously, things like that can and should make a audible difference. Although it's not exactly the same thing, when I moved the system from one side of the room to another and plugged it into a different circuit (one without the computer and microwave plugged into it), the noise (below the music) from the turntable was very noticeably quieter.

I was thinking of responding to this thread. Then, I says to my self, "Self, the wife and kids are out whatevering. Quit fiddling with the forum and crank up some E. Power Biggs on the turntable. Stop and grab a beer first."

Good advice. Bye now...

Dave