Inexpensive Seperates for Rf-7 setup? Emotiva? Rotel?

maseline_98

I've been waiting around to get into the HDMI game for sound options. I currently have the RF-7 setup being powered by my Marantz SR-8400. It does an okay job, but I know I can get a lot more out of them with some new equipment(plus, it's always fun to buy new stuff :oP). Having said that, I'm looking for an inexpensive option to help me along with this dilemma and came across Emotiva. I was looking at the XPA-5 for power, but am afraid that the non-discrete amps in it might not do the job. Does anybody else have any other inexpensive options? Also, I was wondering how this holds up the Rotels?

Budget?

If you're looking for bang for the buck I'd look at used. Sunfire is a great choice and you can pick up a 200w x5 Cinema Grand for about $1k on audiogon. They work great with Klipsch. The RF-7 may be efficient, but it'll dip down to well below 3 ohm in certain frequencies. The Sunfires handle low impedience like a champ. I ran Sunfire on my RF-7s and on my Logans and couldn't have been happier.

Edit: You can pick up used Rotel fairly cheap as well, but personally I've never been too impressed with them. I realise they are very popular, but to me they've always kinda sounded like every other Japanese amp. Cheap power, but kinda bland. YMMV though.

I bought a Emotiva LPA-1 (B stock with 5 year warrennty) 7 channnel for $400....Great sound for the $.

I went entry level to 'try them, but plan on upgrading with another Emotiva. Check their forum, they don't have many unhappy customers.

I just finalized my pre-order for the Emotiva amps XPA-2 (250 x2) and XPA-3 (200 x3) today as I received an email saying they had arrived and were shipping next week. I too had considered the XPA-5 but I wanted that little bit of extra headroom for the mains. One drawback to the XPA-2/-3 combo is the combined weight of almost 150 lbs! When you have 90 lb mains, 70 lb surrounds and a +200 lb sub it becomes just another heavy piece of the puzzle. Don't forget free shipping on Emotiva stuff until July 15th, I'm probably saving almost a hundred bucks from shipping on those heavy amps.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an Outlaw 7125,really nice amp with lotsa power.I had a Rotel 1075 and 1095,very nice and powerful(keep value Very well),the 1075 was a lot like my lpa1,not really any better.I would say I prefered the Outlaw over the Emo by 5%,at twice the price though.I also had a Parasound(my favorite)157 watts per ch but 3x the price of the Emo 10% better,all I should have ever needed.I've owned many Carver amps and a Sunfire sub so I have no doubt the Sunfire is a good option.I had a BK 2ch amp,again pretty nice,not better than the rest but similar.

The point I guess is most of these solid amps sound good,and very similar in the same $ range.After having 500 watts per channel hooked up for a short time,I decided 125 watts would really do all I needed until a real bargain came along.Double your money it can get better,double your power,it can get better.I've been very happy with my lpa1,soon to be the 5 ch X 200 watt version when their prepros are ready.They can easily compete with any I've owned mentioned,for quite a bit less,well worth an audition at least.

I just posted this over at the Emotiva Lounge:

Just got my XPA-2 and XPA-3 yesterday......... holy cr@p the XPA-2 seriously rocks with the RF-7's! I have my Denon running as the pre amp until the UMC comes out and I got it up to about -15 on the volume knob and it was incredibly loud and still clear with lots more left to go (I think the Denon will go up to +18). In another thread someone mentioned that the XPA-2 was at another level higher than the XPA-5 and I found that to be the case with the XPA-3 also. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the XPA-3, it's still a fantastic amp and I started out yesterday by hooking up the mains and the center to it for an initial test drive and was very pleased. But then I put the mains on the XPA-2 and it was like blasting off on a rocketship, very nice work Emotiva on producing such a great amp. Someone also mentioned that their LEDs were just barely moving on their XPA-2, I was getting mine to move about halfway through the range at -15(very loud) so I have lots of headroom and the amp was not even getting hot(just warm). The RF-7's are notorious for being too bright with certain amps but I found the highs to be perfect for my liking and the bass really tightened up nicely. Great amp for these speakers, I'm really glad I spent the extra $649 for the XPA-2/-3 over the XPA-5 which was my initial plan.

http://www.sherwoodusa.com/nc_cat_hts.html

I have the 1999 vintage of these and have never had a problem. I would buy the new preamp and find a used 5 channel power amp.

DAC sound has very little jitter so I have had no shortfalls in perfromance to encourage me to upgrade.

I have friends who have been very pleased with Outlaw as well.