Time to burn your mp3s to vinyl!!!

seti

Get all those mp3s off of your decaying harddrives and onto a permanent medium VINYL. [6] [6] [6]

VRX-2000.jpg

http://www.vestax.com/v/products/recorders/vrx2000.html

I would love to have one of these actually.

Uniquely approaching the art of vinyl recording, the
VRX-2000 allows experienced professional users the ability to easily
and accurately produce classic vinyl with acoustic warmth and a durable
quality similar to that of commercially cut vinyl. The VRX-2000 is a
professional level recording device designed for those with knowledge
of mastering and music production. Individual users will need
purposeful training and practice in order to produce perfect
professional quality recordings on a regular basis

FUNCTIONS

spacer.gif

spacer.gif *//// Records in real time from any
external sound source fed through either a power amp or mixer, by
cutting onto special Vestax vinyl blanks at speeds of 33 1/3 and 45 rpm.
spacer.gif *//// Cut at 33 1/3, each vinyl blank has a total playing time of between 26 and 30 minutes.
spacer.gif *//// Recorded properly, the superb sound and
individual warmth of each take/track is more than durable enough to
handle repeated playing and even scratching.
spacer.gif *//// Each production is able to be played back instantly through the onboard ASTS tone-arm.
spacer.gif *//// VU Meter(s) and Input Level adjust. To produce
fine recordings on the VRX-2000 will require close scrutiny of the
input level(s). Wide frequency dispersion left unadjusted may result in
a damaged cutting head or a bad sounding cut.
spacer.gif

ACCESSORIES

* VCH-1: VRX-2000 Cutting Head in protective wooden box with high end sapphire cutting stylus.

* VRX-2000 Tool kit with all the implements you need to make perfect recordings.

* Vestax special vinyl blanks and replacement cutting styli are available from Vestax VRX-2000 Retail Centers.

About all I need to know is they don't even hint at what it might cost...

I guess if you have to ask, etc.

Dang...it would sure be a lot of fun. I suspect the difficulty is not all that great. There really aren't that many parameters, with gain being by far the most important. Couple of placemats later you'd probably get something really cool.

Dave

The fascination with backcueing is one of the phenomena of my lifetime I simply have no comprehension of. Most of the first 7 years of my working life I spent in radio. Even then I was an audiophile and never got used to the awful sound of backcueing. I learned to do it right the first time so I did not inflect more pain on the poor defenseless vinyl than necessary.

Since I do not frequent places where this sonic equivalent to fingernails on a chalkboard is practiced I do not know nor can I imagine just what role it plays in their rituals. I know that it is synthesized many times. Wonder if they enjoy synthetic farts and noogies as well. How about a synthetic charlie horse?

Anyway, I am at least sentient enough to be able to understand that this unlikely product WILL have market. Many of these DJ's could pay for that with a week's revenue.

Maybe the used market will drive it down once the "new" wears off. I'd start getting interested at about 2k, assuming the output is any good. I've not check on the price of blanks, but if 10.00 or so I think there would be a small but dedicated market of vinyl lovers who'd pay 100.00 per LP of hand made vinyl bliss.

Dave

Dave...

I know next to nothing about this process and I'm just asking for my own edification: I could see that a Dj would want to be able to make custom vinyl to make his job easier...save money in the long run.....but for the vinyl enthusiast, wouldn't the original source be the deciding factor of the end product quality? I could see if you were able to get your hands on master's, but if you were making analog copies off a MP3/CD...wouldn't they be just one more generation degraded??? Or doest the fact that they are on vinyl help with the tonal and musical qualities??

not trying to be a smart *** ...I'm just ignorant in this area and would like to know.....

>not trying to be a smart *** ...I'm just ignorant in this area and would like to know.....

Point A...I know you are not trying to be a smart ***. Point B, yes, you are and I'll be happy to enlighten you.

If I could get my hands on one of these puppies I'd do direct-to-disc in the field. So, of course, what would I do with ONE DD recording?

I've thought that out.

My "alibi" recorder from the same feed would be 1 bit, 2.85mhz digital. From that, I could make anything from CD's to hi res DVD-A 2 channel.

I could also use it to play directly into the disc cutter to make more vinyl that would be VERY close (at least in theory) to the direct cut disc itself.

For the die hard analog purist, I play the original on a first class table/cart and feed direct line level to the cutter to make pure analog duplicates. Having never done this I've no idea how successful it would be, but worth a try.

I'd sell all of the above...except the master analog which I MIGHT sell at auction if I were happy enough with the digital master.

And, finally, I do not own nor have any use for MP3 for ANY purpose. I have used it a couple of times to send audio takes to a producer for performance (not quality) review, but that's it.

Dave

I was being a smartass regarding the title of this thread and the thought of putting mp3s on vinyl [6]

I have many friends that do interesting audio work that would love to have this as a tool. My friends the RuralWarRoom do hand spun audio collage from vinyl and if they could do that straight to their own cut vinyl they would be very enthused. I have this device on my saved ebay searches :) One day I'll have one for a decent price. It is also better than buying a vintage cutter and trying to do a restoration.

Guest srobak

I heard about this some time back, but didn't know Vestax was going to lead the charge.

Apparently what is driving this is the high availability of MP3s for tracks used by DJs in clubs and such. By and large they have had it with the digital interfaces for both MP3 and CD... even the top of the line Pioneer and Denon CD-DJ decks leave a lot to be desired. While DJ vinyl is still available, it is not nearly what it was even 5 years ago from distributors. The music is out there - just not the media. So... reverse the process, and now DJs can spin the complete, current library on vinyl.

>not trying to be a smart *** ...I'm just ignorant in this area and would like to know.....

Point A...I know you are not trying to be a smart ***.  Point B, yes, you are and I'll be happy to enlighten you.

If I could get my hands on one of these puppies I'd do direct-to-disc in the field.  So, of course, what would I do with ONE DD recording?

I've thought that out.

My "alibi" recorder from the same feed would be 1 bit, 2.85mhz digital.  From that, I could make anything from CD's to hi res DVD-A 2 channel. 

I could also use it to play directly into the disc cutter to make more vinyl that would be VERY close (at least in theory) to the direct cut disc itself.

For the die hard analog purist, I play the original on a first class table/cart and feed direct line level to the cutter to make pure analog duplicates.  Having never done this I've no idea how successful it would be, but worth a try. 

I'd sell all of the above...except the master analog which I MIGHT sell at auction if I were happy enough with the digital master.

And, finally, I do not own nor have any use for MP3 for ANY purpose.  I have used it a couple of times to send audio takes to a producer for performance (not quality) review, but that's it. 

Dave

I want to ask Amy to change my username to smartass....But that would be a reference to about 98% of this community....confusing [;)]

Now I get it...never though of using it for "field work" or even new studio material makes more sense now...Thanks Dave