More efficient than a Cornscalas?

tim3

Hi, I've written many times w/ ?'s & everyone has been great.Hopefully,I'll be as lucky w/ this ?.I have a pr. of Cornscalas w/ the CT-125 tweeter thet got constructed w/ much praise to Bob Crites,who to me is one of the most generous,kind & caring man I've had the pleasure to know.I go to him often w/ my ?'s w/ %100 outcome,but I try not to overwhelm him w/ my ?'s.People I've met here have also been very kind & helpful,thanks to all.Here's my ?I've always wanted a pr. of Khorns because of the 105 db. eff. & I love the eff. hi freq. spkr.I've been told that since I have the Cornscalas & have 2 very lrg. quality subs. that I would'nt notice a huge diff. w/ the Khorns.I got on Audiogon & theres a sys. compised of 4 big horns,Oris 150 stack w/ 2 16" tower subs.He claims to have 106+ db.They also have a super tweeter each.It's stated it's a &17,000 sys.,which I have no reason to disspute.I can get them for $2900 & $1000 shipping/crating cost.I run 2 bridged Bryston 4B's(650-800 WPC)an B&K 3090 pre & an Arcam DV79 CD player.If I do make this purchase(which $4000 is sign. to me) I'll have to try to get rid of my Cornscalas,which we all know will never get the $ back.So my slow coming ? is,will ,I notice a huge diff. in perf.I've been told that for every 3 db. I go up the sys. sounds twice as loud & I'm ultimately looking to get a few more hi freq. db's than I have w/ my Corns.Any ideas about me making this purchase.Thanks,Tim.

A question for you might be in order. What is your goal? If you just want to win some db war, I think the system with the Oris is not what you are after. Is this an Oris with the paper cone driver or one with a compression driver? I would really love to try those, too, but I find my own LaScalas to be more than efficient enough for MY space. An I am only using 3.5wpc amps.

What size room do you have? What are your musical listening habits, i.e., how loud do you listen and what style of music? (jazz, folk, rock, classical/symphonic, etc.)

Bruce

I've been told that for every 3 db. I go up the sys. sounds twice as loud

I don't recall how much louder 3db sounds but I din't think it's twice as loud. It does, however, take twice as much amplifier power to deliver 3 db louder output.

Hi, I've written many times w/ ?'s & everyone has been great.Hopefully,I'll be as lucky w/ this ?.I have a pr. of Cornscalas w/ the CT-125 tweeter thet got constructed w/ much praise to Bob Crites,who to me is one of the most generous,kind & caring man I've had the pleasure to know.I go to him often w/ my ?'s w/ %100 outcome,but I try not to overwhelm him w/ my ?'s.People I've met here have also been very kind & helpful,thanks to all.Here's my ?I've always wanted a pr. of Khorns because of the 105 db. eff. & I love the eff. hi freq. spkr.I've been told that since I have the Cornscalas & have 2 very lrg. quality subs. that I would'nt notice a huge diff. w/ the Khorns.I got on Audiogon & theres a sys. compised of 4 big horns,Oris 150 stack w/ 2 16" tower subs.He claims to have 106+ db.They also have a super tweeter each.It's stated it's a &17,000 sys.,which I have no reason to disspute.I can get them for $2900 & $1000 shipping/crating cost.I run 2 bridged Bryston 4B's(650-800 WPC)an B&K 3090 pre & an Arcam DV79 CD player.If I do make this purchase(which $4000 is sign. to me) I'll have to try to get rid of my Cornscalas,which we all know will never get the $ back.So my slow coming ? is,will ,I notice a huge diff. in perf.I've been told that for every 3 db. I go up the sys. sounds twice as loud & I'm ultimately looking to get a few more hi freq. db's than I have w/ my Corns.Any ideas about me making this purchase.Thanks,Tim.

Tim,

you have your facts turned arround a little. Older Klipschorns are 104Db at 1 watt at one meter, new Klipschorns are 105 Db sensitive at one watt at one meter. Percieved sound is not a linear measurenment like speaker output. A speaker of whatever sensitivity, takes double the power to go up 3 Db of sound pressure. Lets take the 105 DB sensitivity rating of the new klipschorn. It putts out a volume of 105 Db as checked from one meter away at one watt. It will take twice the power to go up 3 Db, so we find 108 Db at 2 watts. It will take twice the power to go up another 3 Db, so it takes 4 watts to see 111 Db. To go up another 3 Db, it will take twice the power, so to see 114 Db, it takes 8 watts.

From the above, we find it takes 8 times the power to see an increase of 9 Db. This is the same, no matter how efficient or non efficient the speaker.

Hearing is subjective, but it is commonly accepted that an increase in 10 Db is considdered to sound twice as loud.

So, we see that an increase in 8 times the power only gets a 9 Db increase in sound, or slightly less than twice the percieved sound. Thus it would take slightly more than 80 watts to sound twice as loud as 10 watts. This remains constant regaurdless of speaker or amplifier used, and is why higher Db is much cheaper to reach with a more efficient speaker than a bigger amp less efficient speaker.

Roger

Tim3,

If you are looking for more high frequency, why not put in Bobs titanium tweeter settup.

If you want a more sensitive speaker, why not a Klipsch MCM 1900 at 108 Db efficiency (KINDA BLOWS 106 Db out of the water), then you can replace ten tweeters with Bobs titanium diaphrams.

Another option for more high frequencies out of your CornScalas would be the Electo Voice T-350 tweeters. These are alot larger and more efficient than the T-35, K-77, etc. variants used in the Heritage line up.

ROGER

as for someone with AK-4 K'Horns (105dB according to Klipsch's retest) and a pair of Cornwall clones built by speakerfritz between 98.5dB and 101dB) I can tell you from tests I conducted using my VRDs...I have to turn the volume knob up about one "notch" higher going from K'Horns to the Corns to get near the same volume...however , the K'Horns have a larger soundstage or field than the Cornwalls...possibly attributed to the larger mid horn (K-401 for the K'Horn and K-700 (Heresy) on my Cornwall set up like a Cornwall III...I realise that the standard Cornwall has a K-600/K-601)...I wouldn't pay the cost difference to get that difference (although apparently I did [;)] ) that you state...I agree with others saying the quality of sound is far more important to me than the volume of sound but it is your choice...perhaps Jubilees are in your future...

Bill

Hey Tim3

I share the fascination with those horns too. A new pair goes for about 900 Euro or about 1,350 US. 2 new HSU subs are say 2,500. You would still need drivers. I think you can probably do better. That said, we don't know what's in that Audiogon stuff.

Have you thought about a pair of used KHorns? I bet you would be satisfied. For the same 4,000 you could probably upgrade KHorns and maybe even add a sub if that's your bag.

All I really know about the system you tossed out is the horn itself, unless I zingged by the facts reading too fast, which is quite possible. The Oris systems look really cool to me. My wife hates em.

Good luck