Just Got Klipschorns! Technics amp, but need equalizer?

Nice forum! Just bought some ca. 1990 Khorns. I'm a reformed Bose 901 series VI guy. Never could get enough treble out of those things.

The problem is that the Khorns need more treble boost from this amp. It's a Technics SA-818, an old 110 wpc with only .005% THD. I can't get enough treble, even though there is a treble boost function on the amp. I need about 10% treble boost. The tweets work fine.

I had not expected this. I tried using the Bose series VI eq with them, but that...well, you can only imagine.

Of course, I'm probably hard of hearing by now. But I'd like to dial the frequencies in to taste.

Any recommendations? You veteran Khorn owners might heard this before.

Forgive me, I'm new to the Klipsch scene.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Khorns. They are definite sweethearts.

I'd take a pass on the EQ. Bottom line, if you like the sound by boosting the treble control, that's workable.

It's possible that this little bit of adjustment is needed to sound right with your particular room.

I put this post up about twenty minutes ago, and already have replies. I'm humbled. Reading how eloquently you Khorns described your darlings got me to buy a pair in the first place (well, an AF barracks experience with La Slacas and The English Beat had something to do with it, too.)

This is the tech end: the Technics amp has low distortion, but the treble boost just ain't enough. I'd like to boost (or lower) any frequency about 10% or more. Remember, my brain is accustomed to the "Bose-jacking" the frequencies. Can you recommend a good equalizer that would go with a budget system like this? A five-band would be good.

But googling "equalizers" at Radio Shack and Circuit City, well, it's not like shopping for gear back in the day. No specs on distortion scares me.

Even at .005% THD on the amp, I still have a little noise at idle. I'd like to get a boost equalizer to compensate for, what I suspect, is lack of inner ear reception acquired at the same pace as this well-earned pot belly.

Any know of a good equalizer to look for?

BTW, these Khorns are bringing out undiscovered nuances to all my music - Floyd, Beatles, Bowie, XTC, everything. Reminds me of how amazed I was when my dear mother bought me a genuine K-Mart Soundesign two-speaker system in 1976. I heard what I never heard on the old record player, and it was an experience I have never forgotten. The Khorns compared to the Bose 901s is the same thing. Going through all my records and CDs to see what I've missed for all these years.

Makes me weep.

Thanks!

Paul

The lack of high-end is most likely not your amp. Try plugging each driver (midrange then tweeter, one at a time) with a rag, and listen to the open driver to make sure it's working. If all of the drivers are working properly, you may need to replace the cpacitors in your crossovers. This will potentially make a big difference in your high-end output.

Remember, my brain is accustomed to the "Bose-jacking" the frequencies

At the risk of sounding offensive, perhaps you need a while to be 'deprogrammed' from their brainwash? (although I'd imagine the crossover dealing might do something?, that's not my cup of tea)

I'd suggest maybe.... well....or after (if general consensus says to refresh your crossovers) that you simply sit back and give them some time and let your ears adjust a bit to what you're hearing.

It's possible that over time, you find out that they sound more right than your old Bose.

Paul,

You may also find that you have more real treble than you ever had before, and treble that is clean. Unfortunately, the Bose treble would not be very clean sounding. Depending on how long you have had the KHorns, listen a while longer and see if everything is really there. A completely horn loaded cabinet is different than what you are used to.At first you are wowed by the difference, but you might also want to tweak it to sound like what you already had. Hmmm...probably not the best to try to make the KHorns sound like your 901s. Relax with them a bit and enjoy. Especially once you know all the drivers are working ok.

Bruce

Coytee is right, give yourself a chance to adjust, you just went from Bose to Horn loaded Klipsch. That's a huge change, give it a little time. If you need to warm and sweeten the sound a bit, it might be time to try a nice tube amp. Forget an equalizer, they just screw up all the good hard work the engineers have already done. They have the speakers balanced as good as they can for the average usage.

Thanx, Russ

That's a great idea, rule out something wrong. I have a 14 x 20 room with concrete block walls, terrazzo floors, and 8' ceiling. In corners, not much in the way. Khorns look good cosmetically, but were powered by 200 WPC am and who knows how overloaded. Plus get my hearing checked.