Reluctantly searching for a new Theater Remote :(

picky

Well, I never thought I'd be looking for a new theater remote control. I've been using a Phillips Pronto NG TSU-3000 for the last 4 years and for the second time, the touch screen has crapped-out on it. At $150-per shot at having it replaced; I'm done with Phillips Prontos. When the remote works, it is amazing. The trouble is now: It's amazing when it IS working!

I am researching a huge number of different brands on various sites including Remote Central. I've looked at brands such as URC (Theater Master), Logitech, Sony, for example. The main caveats are; the new remote has to be RF-based (rather than just IR) and programmable via a PC. It also must be $450 or less. Do any of you have any good recommendations you can make for remotes that you've had good luck with. I am interested in models that are 2 years old or less since their initial release. Thanks everyone! -Glenn

I have the logitech 550. It eas $129 at Costco a couple of years ago. I only have one bluetooth remote (PS3) all other equipment id IR. I was able to get an aftermarket IR adaptor/remote. The adaptor allows the use of the 550 to control the PS3. The logitech remote pc site coding is very good. It has a few hitches but it also has a very comprehensive set of codes ready to go.

I have a Harmony(2 actually) and I am quite satisfied with it. I've not found anything it won't control yet. Once set up it is very simple to use but I will say setup can be confusing at first. I will buy this brand again when needed. They can be had for as little as 79 bucks or there are some that cost over $400 but have more flexibilty

http://universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=38

Universalremote.. 850

It is what I use.

Press Main, then On..Everything fires up to your desired option! (In my case HDTV)

Home Run!

The LCD displays have problems scrolling and use a LOT of batteries.. I change mine maybe every 3-4 months..And like you, we use our HT a lot.

BTW, It also stores my light scene settings too and I can do those without getting up lower or higher..

If it would only get me a cold drink once in a while! LOL

Wow! You guys are all great! Thanks for the quick responses. I think that great minds do think alike becuase the two main remotes I am getting very serious about are the Logitech Harmony Series remotes and the URC 800 series. This confirms what I had suspected: both of those series are popular and reliable. I will continue to deliberate, but thanks for all of the feedback, guys. Please keep it coming everyone out there. This forum has always rocked and this is why I'm here every day! -Glenn

Glenn,

This is the one that I have, Harmony 880, http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Advanced-Universal-Control/dp/B00093IIRA It's been about a year, or longer, since I have purchased it and this thing is great. One great thing about it is the charging base for the remote. It can go a few days without needing a charge and the setup is simple, hit Watch TV and it sets everything from input to turning on the devices. Then hit Watch DVD and it sets everything for that along with turning anything off, like cable box.

James

Thanks everyone for your assistance with this perplexing issue!Remotes I had seriously considered:
  • Universal Remote Controls: KP-900, MX-980, MX-950, MX-900, TX-1000, MX-850, MX-500
  • Logitech Harmony Remotes: Harmony 1000, Harmony 890
  • Acoustic Reasearch: ARRU449 WiFi Remote
Following much deliberation over the last 4 days, I have decided on a remote and an RF extender and just ordered them. They should be delivered late, next week.
  • Remote: The Universal Remote Controls, Model MX-980
  • RF Extender: The Universal Remote Controls, Model RMF-350 RF Base Station which includes the RXF-250 Antenna Module

I'll let you know what I think after I get them and have everything configured correctly.

post-10177-13819393739864_thumb.jpg

Picky, I was wondering if will you be able to program th remote yourself? The reason I ask, I was looking at the MX-900 which is also suppose to be PC downloadable, and the dealer I was dealing with tried telling I HAD to have them program it at $70/hr. They said URC put a clamp on users trying to program the remotes and went strictly with the dealers to do the programming. He also said that URC locked down their download site to accomadate this. What was your dealer experience?

I have an MX-850 and I was able to download the software. Once you have it downloaded you have access to upgrade, etc. I recommend downloading and printing the programming manual. It helps with learning the set up. When you use it once you will have the hang of it and find that these remotes have limitless possibilities for set up and macros.

I guess this is what the dealer was referring to:

Following clip was copied from RemoteCentral.com, titled, 'URC Complete Control MX-900 Remote Control & MSC-400 Review' page 5.

"As mentioned earlier, the MX-900 is part of the company’s “Complete Control” series of professional grade remotes, which means that it’s primarily intended for custom installers. Due to a policy shift around the same time that the MX-900 was first introduced, this means that none of the company’s current Complete Control remotes ship with the requisite PC editing software on CD – instead, the authorized retailer or installer obtains this software direct from the manufacturer."...

kelA & dvcdude: You both are correct. The unit is a professional-grade product. I will receive the remote this coming Thursday as it's in transit via FedEx. The company I purchased it from is sending the programming software and image library to me tomorrow and I believe this includes the manual or a link to where I can download a copy. I will let you know how the programming went after I receive everything and have time to work with it. We have company coming over next weekend so hopefully I'll be able to have the remote ready in time. -Glenn

i like that universal remote. i saw it at starpower. i have one of those questions.....regarding the rf extender. do you just plug that into a wall and have it sitting out? is there any other cords you need to plug in for it to work? i was looking at the harmony 1000 and i think that remote doesn't even use a rf extender. are there any other remotes that don't use that?

thanks guys....