Low frequency checkout DVD?

endover

I know this has been asked before but I did a search and couldn't really find what I wanted.

I am putting the finishing touches on my family room/home theater and after moving my Chorus II's to their (near) final position, it seems like I've lost some of the low end that I previously enjoyed with them. I know it's a room dynamics and placement issue because I lost the recipe as soon as I moved them. However, I've got to find time when my 4 year old isn't home to really check things out. What movie DVD's do you recommend for checking out low end stuff? Since I will be playing the scene and listening and then moving my Chorus's and repeating this over and over, it is helpful if the scene has about a minute of good low end stuff (as opposed to a quick shot of a train driving by) for comparison purposes. I don't have a sub and not really sure if the wife will ever allow one into the budget. She's already been gracious enough to let me keep my hugh Chorus II's which produce some of the best lows I know of without stepping into owing a sub. Man can they shake the walls and put a serious grin on your face!!!!

I plan on putting pics up soon to get some other fine tuning recommendations but I wanted to play a little with what I have so I can ask more intelligent questions.

I've got:

Samsung LN-T5271, 2 Chorus II's, 2 RS-35's and 1 RC-3 II.

Movie recommendations?

Put both of your speakers where you intend to listen.

Play some FM interstion noise, turn down the treble and turn up the bass as needed.

Walk around, squat, and listen to the sound in the area you would like the speakers to be.

Much easier than moving the speakers around and fooling around with short music clips.

I can't help you with REALLY low bass in movies. But, for acoustic instrumental music suggestions, if you are familiar with pipe organ sounds, I prefer checking out bass depth/heft and frequency balance with pipe organ recordings. It's one instrument that has the same character of sound throughout its full range.

E. Power Biggs's CDs are excellent IMO, and you want a CD that has the Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor, to test bass response down to 32.7 Hz. This one has great selections besides the C Minor: the famous Toccata and Fugue in D Minor and the Toccata in F: http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Great-Organ-Favorites/dp/B00138KF2Q/ref=pd_sim_dmusic_4 . The beginning of the Passacaglia focuses on the lowest (16-ft) octave of bass response, and its last four notes run from the C at 65.4 Hz, to the lowest C at 32.7. Hz (PWK's spec for the K-horn's lowest note).

Or, you can just listen in general to hear how the bass stands up within the whole range. My $0.02.

Check the receiver settings and make sure the Chorus II's are set to large. I have seen power outages, brown outs, etc, sometimes reset the receiver speaker setting to small. Also if the LFE is on on the receiver make sure it is not activating a high pass crossover to the mains. One more thing, make sure the speakers are not wired out of phase. This DEFINITELY would kill the bass response. Hope this helps.

Todd

What movie DVD's do you recommend for checking out low end stuff?

Exorcism of Emily Rose has a lot of low end stuff. clearly not a movie for a 4 year old but when you are by yourself maybe you can put this on.

Also in the subwoofer section there is a thread about svs subs and in this thread someone posted many movie titles and their relevant chapters to test their subs.

no sub definitely check to make sure the Mains are set to Large...I only have Quartets but I know the rear passive radiator is VERY sensitive to placement...I have moved mine mere inches affecting the bass tremendously...good luck and please report back...

Bill

I got mine from MCM Electronics. Goes from 5hz to 20khz. on disc 2 and disc 1 has all the pro stuff. You don't want to loose the book that comes with it though as they have all the frequencies listed to match the menu numbers.

JJK

Lots of great ideas. Thanks a bunch. I can easily recheck some of the settings on my receiver and phasing but I'll have to wait 'till no ones home before I dig more into the speaker testing and placement stuff. I'll give you the full scoop once I get some research done. I still haven't had time to take pics and get them posted. Hope to soon.