What to do with Heresy II that have been sitting for ten years

66elwood99

I recently bought a new Amp after ten years. (wife had spilled candle wax into old one) I had my Heresys II 's in the basement for that lenght of time. I forgot how great these things are, I cleaned them up but want to know if there is any type of maintenance that I should do? I want to clean out the horns and searched and some suggested to use compressed air, but I'm afraid of forcing air into the horn. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

first post ; )

How to clean the horns:

1) Get two pieces of cotton about the size of a quarter.

2) Squish them with your fingers so they compress smaller, about dime size.

3) Place the cotton pieces in your ears.

4) Put your favorite rockin' CD/LP into your player.

5) Turn the volume up to 11 on your amp/receiver

6) Rock out for half an hour or so.

[;)]

• 2 weeks later...

'WO' on the serial number sticker will confirm they are Walnut, oiled. The 'original' oil should BLO (boiled linseed oil) which dries like lacquer (albeit slowly) so make sure not to let it puddle, if you go that route.

I restored a set of Quartets (also WO) with BLO and they looked fantastic. Good enough to warrent a $175 profit (and I let them go cheap.)

And if they are oil finish .... rub in a coat of Watco tung oil and those puppies will look showroom new!!!!

If they are a "WO" finish, and you want them to look orignal...........DO NOT USE TUNG OIL.

The orignal WO had a rich, creamy finish. Tung oil will give them a high gloss finish. Recovery from a coat of tung oil will require taking them down to bare wood and starting over. That said, you may like the gloss finish of TO, and that is fine, but WO was intended to be a deep finish, and on the flat side.

tc

'WO' on the serial number sticker will confirm they are Walnut, oiled. The 'original' oil should BLO (boiled linseed oil) which dries like lacquer (albeit slowly) so make sure not to let it puddle, if you go that route.

I restored a set of Quartets (also WO) with BLO and they looked fantastic. Good enough to warrent a $175 profit (and I let them go cheap.)

jtn,

Like you said. BLO not tung oil.

Normally, I wouldn't jump so fast, but use TO and you can't go back without stripping the wood.

tc