Outlaw 7075 or Emotiva UPA-7

rmlowz

Hello,

I ordered a Marantz AV-8003 pre amp for home theater. I have the 2007 Hereitage speakers for 7.1 2 Khorns 3 LaScala IIs and 2 Heresy IIIs.

I do not want to spend a lot on amplification for these high sensitivity speakers. I have had a lot of big high quality amps through the years. To me the more power I put on the Heritage stuff the more bloated and harsh it sounded. Do any of my forum friends have any of these amps with the Klipsch Heritage? The room is 15 x 18 x 8 foot ceilings Which one would you buy?

Thanks,

rmlowz

All I can say is that I have Outlaw hooked out to my RF system and it sounds great. I originally had a 7100 but I sold that and picked up a 750. The 65 watt difference was a big change. With the Heritage I think that you should go with the Emotiva, with the more power to spare. I am thinking about changing my system to the Emotiva setup but not until I get a new sub.

Good luck with your purchase. Either one would be great. Plus if you can swing it they both have a 30 day return policy, why not try both.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Hello forum friends,

Thanks for your opinions. I had to try a different amp for home theater. I called Emotiva they are very nice folks. I talked to Lonnie and Nick. I ordered the XPA5. I said I did not want a lot of power but what do I know LOL. I like the balanced connections so I got a XPA5. I then can connect my Cambridge 840E preamp to the Wyred For Sound ST-250 amp for two channel going through the AV-8003. I am using a ADA PTM 650 that only had 50 watts per channel. I kept thinking it was not enough power. I am hoping it will make the Heritage stuff sing even more.

rmlowz

Hello,

Yes they have free shipping until 9-03-08. Save 61.00 when you can in this madness I call a hobby. I will post my results. I bought this amp really for the center channel and 4 rear surrounds.I am quite pleased to say the least with the Wyred For Sound ST-250 amp.for two channel,. a close second is the Kingrex T20.

rmlowz

Hello,

I want to let everyone know the XPA5 is here to stay for home theater. This amp delivers in spades really opens up my Heritage system. The only slight complaint and maybe I am being to picky is the transformers are noisey. You can here them from the seating position only at mute. I called Emotiva they said it was normal considering the high sensitivity of the speakers. The amp is built like a tank. It has a very transparent, detailed, clean sound without being harsh or bright. Bass is very clean also it really makes the Khorns go lower than my ADA PTM650 for sure

rmlowz

• 2 years later...

I just ordered the upa-7 for my 3 la scala front and 2 heresy rears setup.

In talking with the guy at emotiva they suggested the upa-7 for the high sensitivity setup of heratige speakers due to a lower sound floor (not sure if I'm getting the right terminology). He said the upa series is quieter than the xpa and that the extra wattage is not needed for the super high sensitivity speakers.

With my 130 watt receiver I can play music so loud that I can't hear my own screaming voice and then still turn it up louder with no disortion or issues. I'm thinking an even better 125 watts from a dedicated amp will be plenty and hopefully quieter at mute.

very interested to hear your opinions on the Emotiva amp. some members here do not reccomend Emotiva with Heritage.

I don't think Heritage are different from other Klipsch in needing a quiet amp.The upa is the best choice as the noise floor is silent vs xpa and 125 watts is all I could ever need in my large room.

Yeah i was thinking this would be a great addition to my system driving my CornScala's & CS-1.5's using a TX-NR5008 AVR

I want to push 4 CornScala's & 5 CS-1.5's

the 5008 is a Very clean sound but it only pushes 145 watts @ 2 channels

the UPA-7 pushes 125 PER channel like all 7 of them

Anyone got an opintion ??

Ok I've been listening to the upa7 amp for about a week now.

It is fantastic with my La Scalas. It's super quiet. The music just bursts through from a soundless backgroud.

I just added some corner bass traps from the foam factory. Whoa. If any of you don't have these yet, order them now.

They made such a massive difference in sound quality that it isn't even funny. These things make kick drums sound like I'm standing in front of the drummer.

The sound is just so planted now. You'd never know what your missing until you put these in your room. Since the bass (and other frequencies) are being held at bay, everything else sounds so much sweeter. When a singer goes throughout thier vocal range its so silky smooth and effortless. My system is on an entirely different level now.

These things took 5 minutes to throw up in the corners and made more difference than anything else I've ever done to the system with possibly the exception of going to the la scala speakers over the cerwin vega's I was using previously.

This purchase should be a no brainer to everyone interested in making thier system sound better.

I got 8 of the foam corner bass traps from the foam factory for $100. http://www.thefoamfactory.com/acousticfoam/bassbroad.html

I'd say that 8 is a good place to start. My corners are already filled up almost half way up the wall with speakers so the 8 were perfect to finish off the corners. If you have no speakers in the corners, I'd probably buy 16 and be done with it. It's better to overdo it then take some away if needed (sound is too dead or not lively enough).

I don't know anyone at the foam factory or have any incentive to try to sell these things. I'm just blown away by how effective they were.

I started looking into something to correct my room after listening to a set of la scalas I sold to someone in the buyers house. They sounded like totally different speakers. I figured that it was probably the tube amp he was using (I'm using solid state). He borrowed me his tube amp (awesome guy) and I tried the tube amp with my la scalas. They sounded horrible and nothing like they sounded at his place.

I then tried out some 570 watt monoblocks from the same guy in my setup and they sounded great. When I brought them back to his house, we hooked them up to his la scalas. They sounded aweful. It was like they weren't even the same type of speaker let alone the same speaker that they actuallly were.

They only thing different in our setups was the room. This was the only variable as we both were using the same source (squeezebox touch), amp and speakers. Nothing else was different but the room. If I didn't hear it myself, I wouldn't have believed it.

This might explain why someone raves about a speaker, amp or whatever and someone else says it's junk and not to bother with it. Its the room!

Go to this place to learn more about room treatments. This owner is awesome and really knows his stuff. http://www.realtraps.com/index.htm