OT: The Olympics in Hi Def

picky

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my wife did pick up a smallish 15" LCD HD TV (gfm, Meijer store brand I think) for our daughter's dorm room on sale a couple of days ago.... pretty good picture, but at 15" it's kind of puny.... but still looks pretty good on our worn out 32" tube from 1998.

Wouldn't some Image look good in Michael Phelps' ears? Kind of looked like standard ear buds hooked to his iPod.... maybe Klipsch could send him some.... though I'm sure his agents would want $ and maybe he's under contract to Apple? Too many people out there with $300 iPods and $30 'phones. Seems like they're all missing the real potential of the iPod and other mp3 players / portable music devices. Time to educate them on what they're missing.

8 gold medals, 7 world and 1 Olympic records. And the one Michael Phelps won by 1/100th of a second. Think he'd have won that close a finish in '72? I mean would have the technology of 36 years ago caught that close a finish? A good photo would've but through water back in those days? I'm sure the timing which probably was electronic or electrical was rather archaic by today's standards. Hard to believe until they showed the angle where you could really see it and then it was so very close. Now, that was a finish.

The local radio station said something about Mark Spitz going to be in Beijing to award Michael Phelps his 8th gold medal. Didn't happen. Maybe I wasn't listening very closely and they were just saying how cool that would be?. And that woud've been uber cool. But Mark Spitz was in Detroit last night ... can you get to Beijing in 24 hours, even assuming tickets, passport, visas all up to date?

Dara Torres setting the American record at age 41 she first set at 16. And I think they said it was her personal best by 2/10ths of a second (is that really true? - wow) And still comes in for the silver. Daughter had some high school aged friends over - they were in awe, around the same age as some of their mothers or only a few years younger than my wife (who celebrates the ? anniversary of her 29th birthday in a couple of days).

And Usain Bolt. 9.69 and he was coasting at the end and nobody was very close... Is he really. Man, that dude was flying and pulling away and coasted in. Amazing.

Pretty exciting Olympics so far. Hope I can catch some table tennis but only an old worn out antenna with a cheap DTV tuner box which does better than the old analog signal as long as there's not too much rain. The badminton I caught was pretty cool.

And I've long been a fan of beach volleyball.... what's not to like?

I noticed that Phelps uses the standard iPod headphones, too.  It probably is a sponsorship issue.

He probably just doesn't care like the 98% out there who think we are all nuts. Besides where would he have time to lose sleep and get belly aches over which headphones to buy...he swims five hours a day! Only non-Olympians have time for such equipment decisions.

And Usain Bolt.  9.69 and he was coasting at the end and nobody was very close... Is he really.  Man, that dude was flying and pulling away and coasted in.  Amazing.  

Yes! If somebody has not seen this race...find it! Even if you don't care to watch track and field, go to NBC's website and watch this. Simply amazing. As a runner and competitive 200m sprinter I've seen lots of speed in my life, but nothing has ever wowed me like that. I can't wait till Wednesday's 200m event, sure to be another show stopper. Yes, Usain is arrogant and obnoxious for his finish, but he is truly in another class. Never has a man of his stature (6'5"), or any man for that matter made a group of the world's best sprinters look so slow. Carl Lewis won by the same amount in '84, but he did not pull up with 15 meters left. To win and shatter world records with such ease is mind boggling. He will of course break his own record again someday, and I predict he will be the first man to break 9.5. He may have come close last night, if not for his macho display before the finish. What an Olympics it's been...and we ain't done yet!

Usain Bolt's 100 meter dash was the most stunning thing I've seen in the Olympics since Bob Beamon's 29' 2 1/2 " long jump at the 1968 Mexico city Olympics.

However, in his interview at the end of the race he comes across as arrogant and obnoxious which I'm sure he thinks of as being cool.

On the other hand, Michael Phelps is a class act all the way. And that's what really counts in life. (Well at least to me)

As to the subject of this thread, I just bought a new flat screen because my old TV blew out and the Hi-Def is nothing less than spectacular. What a treat!

And Usain Bolt. 9.69 and he was coasting at the end and nobody was very close... Is he really. Man, that dude was flying and pulling away and coasted in. Amazing.

Yes! If somebody has not seen this race...find it! Even if you don't care to watch track and field, go to NBC's website and watch this. Simply amazing. As a runner and competitive 200m sprinter I've seen lots of speed in my life, but nothing has ever wowed me like that. I can't wait till Wednesday's 200m event, sure to be another show stopper. Yes, Usain is arrogant and obnoxious for his finish, but he is truly in another class. Never has a man of his stature (6'5"), or any man for that matter made a group of the world's best sprinters look so slow. Carl Lewis won by the same amount in '84, but he did not pull up with 15 meters left. To win and shatter world records with such ease is mind boggling. He will of course break his own record again someday, and I predict he will be the first man to break 9.5. He may have come close last night, if not for his macho display before the finish.

Yeah.....seeing him run was something else.

What I can't wait for is his debut in the NFL where his bravado will be right at home. Sheesh....

Sorry - but attitudes like that completely turn me off; not to mention the disrespect it shows towards his fellow competitors. Like I said, he'll be right at home in the NFL.

Tom