O.T. Taking my first kid to college

kohill

Tommorow We take my 18 yr. old daughter off to ASU.  150 miles away.  She is excited, but I'm having a near death

experience.  Any sage advice out there.  Oh, she is in love too.

As a father of a daughter who just started collage, I only have one word of advice for you.......Zanex!!!!!

Just trust in the good job you did raising her into a young woman. Sure she'll make mistakes, but didn't we all. Now it's up to her to take the foundation you laid and grow from her experiences.......

We just took our 19 year old daughter to college Wednesday for her freshman year. She's already went to see her boyfriend's high school soccer game Thursday evening and is coming home for part of the weekend to go to his soccer tournament on Saturday as classes don't start until Monday. She's only about an hour and a half away so the distance isn't too bad.

Just trust you've done your job. I'm sure she'll be fine.

4 more to go .................. Oh my God, Bless you brother, don't tell me they are all Girls !!!!! Put my two through 5 years each, both with Masters Degree's, thankfully, I got sick at the end, and got them both through before retiring !!!!!!!!! Tough world out there, good education a plus !!!!

Hopefully ASU has a Cash Card System.................for school expenses and meals where you can just phone in to add money to here Card.

Up your Cell Phone Minutes, and make sure if she Texts msg alot you also increase that as well. If you purchase a Computer from her school, spend the extra money for a 3 year Maintenance Warranty! It will pay for itself the First time she needs it Fixed ! Plus it will teach her how to get something fixed , herself, instead of calling Dad/Mom when it breaks...............

Bone up on FASA to get the most out of them, but if your like most , you make to much to get any Aid!

Being the First Daughter off to school, will be harder on your spouse then it will be for your Daughter........................ be supportive , to your Wife !............

Good Luck to your Family.....................(Whew! I thought two was bad enough)................

The last big trip my wife and I took together was to drop of our youngest at Valparaiso, Fall of 2005. He graduates this next Spring, unless he totally screws up. He's done well, even when he hasn't kept in touch. Valpo has family from the church he attends who help watch out for him. It's really helped.

Bone up on FASA to get the most out of them, but if your like most , you make to much to get any Aid!

Fortunately, my son got his tuition paid because of a program at the college where I work. We got more financial aid this year than in the past. I'm glad I've done my last FAFSA...[:|]

There are a lot of parents dropping there kids off, and it's a tough thing.

Bruce

Yeah it's tough to leave them there. I met Bruce and his son, or at least talked to them, at the 2007 Pilgrimage. Very fine young man.

Our daughter's only an 1 1/2 hour drive away so she's still somewhat close. We just dropped her off on Wednesday and she came home Friday evening to go to her boyfriends soccer tournament on Saturday after going to a game Thursday night as it's probably the only chance she'll have to see him play this fall once classes start.

She'll probably also come home the next weekend for the Labor day weekend but probably not too frequently after that. I may have to visit to help her get her Time Capsule connected to her MacBook though it seems that it shouldn't be too difficult. Probably could've done it when we took her but I didn't realize whe had her school network access set up until we were busy reconfiguing her room the way she and her roommate wanted it. And she still called to ask which way to go on the interstate on her trip home. Maybe we need to get her an atlas to put in her car. She spent the night as she was getting tired and didn't want to drive back in the dark but will be leaving this morning (Sunday) as she has 1 or 2 mandatory freshmen meetings.

Wow, Thanks for all the advice. I married smart and my daughter takes after her mother, so she's on a full academic scholarship. With a stipend.

We upped the texting and have almost unlimted minutes. So far I'm the one who is suffering, my wife is OK. Thanks again.

It's off to the University of Michigan with my oldest later this week. Mom has already had a couple of meltdowns so far, she will be a wreck when we have to leave Ann Arbor to return to an emptier home. He has worked hard to get to this point in his life and despite the sadness we are very excited for him. And I suppose that's what we need to concentrate on.

Now it's time to work on the next one, a senior in high school.

Our youngest begins her senior year Wednesday. By now there's no dropping off. She spent a week at the beach then jumped in her car and drove herself. The years have just flown by. My son graduated 4 years ago already. On the plus side, I just wrote my second to last tuition check.

She'll be fine. You'll be fine. Call her often. Cell phones, while expensive, have made communication with my kids so much better. My daughter calls at least every other day. It's always nice to hear her voice, especially when she doesn't need anything.

Good luck! Doesn't seem that long since we were in their shoes!!

• 4 weeks later...

We moved our daughter into her dorm on Wednesday August the 20th a relatively close drive of an hour and a half or so.

She withdrew on Wednesday September the 3rd and moved home on Thursday the 4th.

She was too overwhelmed by being away from home and alone or something like that.

She's planning on enrolling at a local branch of IU (Indiana University) IUK in town for the spring semester as it was too late to enroll there for the fall semester.

We've all been pretty stressed out the past few weeks. Hopefully it was the right thing for her to do at the time though deciding before starting classes would've made things easier.

We had not really thought of her changing her mind at least not that quickly and hadn't planned for that. What little that had entered our minds we always figured she'd at least complete the 1st semester.

Besides working out some issues with her boyfriend she's looking for a job, hopefully one that she can continue after her spring classes start.

Hopefully we'll all learn something from it. I hope so as it's a pretty expensive lesson for 2 weeks of the college life.