Colter's Shop of Klipsch

colterphoto1

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I bet now that you have the extra space you don't know how you made it without it, can you get the car in the garage yet ? Your garage was unbelievable to someone who likes big Klipsch, stacked to the ceiling just waiting to come alive.

yup, it's getting filled up.

learned one thing last week- the boat wont fit easily. I put only a 16 foot double door, should have done an 18. It's tough to get the boat backed down the S shaped driveway, avoid the wall, down the incline then into the door, knowing that you have to swing it to one side if the truck is going to fit next to it. So it looks like truck or boat at any given time.

Thats ok, more room for speakers. Check the Commercial threads for a lot of rebuilds that have been going on since I got the shop operational. Just moving in took the better part of a month but I'm pretty well settled and getting stuff done. Just spent a couple of days caulking and moving fill around the foundation. I'm sure the neighbors are getting tired of looking at my mountain of fill dirt and of mulch!

Whew, got the first of the painting done- any exposed wood that wasn't factory primed has Acri-Shield on it now. The cedar garage door trim boards were getting dry and cracked already, no wonder brother Steve was on me to get to this on the first good day.

Got the shop side swept up nicely today, moving the ExMark to the garage so will have more work space.

Now to move a paint cabinet, fridge, and other speakers to the shop. Anyone want some Advent Large in real walnut veneer for refurbishing? I think I have some tweeters but the previous owner tossed the woofer/frames. Even have grilles and badges. They're scratched but not trashed.

Let's see- 4 Advent Large, 1 EVM 18" TL bin, two 18" JBL theater bins, two Bag End mid/high cabinets, two old Altec 7 with no woofers, two empty but beautiful Altec VOTT cabinets (courtesy of HarryO), that should have every speaker box out of the garage and into the shop. WHEW!

It's like 57 degrees slight breeze and I'm drinking Mountain Dew and jamming to the Allman brothers on the MCM's- Life is good today!

6:00- company comes at 7, I'm hitting the hot tub- ahhhhhhh

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I think I would rather be doing that than the second mixer I got. It seemed almost flawless, but the mutes are acting up. I am thinking a dirty connector, so today I disassembled it. About 60 knobs, all the nuts off the line and insert jacks, large number of screws...

While the 'lectronics were out of the chassis, I cleaned it really well, getting all the grease and dust off of it. A lot easier without all those knobs and buttons. Vacuumed the boards, especially all the faders, so the felt seals now look really good.Contact cleaner for the intermal connecting cables...

Putting it all back together now, so I'll find out if it helped or not before the night is done. Quite the PITA...

Shoulda been doing yard work...[:$]

but this is really more fun.

Got any new pics of the shop, Michael? Your inside listening room is looking sweet!

Bruce

Speaking of 'mixers' my buddy Carlos and his crew came by today looking for work. I've got a 20x24 drive that will have a drainage trench in it, 4x5 stoop, 9x10 slab in front of the single bay door, two 3x4 bumps from that for rolling speakers onto, another 3x4 patch in sidewalk where I made a cut 5 years ago for new electrical, and about 40 ft2 in the front walkway that's spalled up.

They're going to form all areas, remove excess sand and gravel (brother Steve overfilled last fall so I could move stuff into the shop), do a cut against the blacktop driveway and demo out the 40 ft2. Looks like about 9 cubic yards of concrete at $95 per yard and his crew is charging 1.50/ft2 for all labor so I'm looking about about $2 large. How does that sound to you guys?

Carlos did the shop floor and trowled it by hand to a beautiful finish. I'm very happy with their work so far so figure why bother to shop around now, right?

Michael

post-10755-13819465193316_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Sounds like it's going to make the shop alot more useful. If Carlos did a good job last time why take a chance with someone else, that's about the same price for concrete as it is here.

It's the labor cost that gets me. They're going to be charging about $1000 for three men for two days. I know it's hard work but that's $166 per man per day for a job that hardly takes any tools. $20 per hour. Whatever happened to cheap immigrant labor? (not trying to be political but I'd be happy to earn that much).

• Moderators

The way it really works is Carlos makes most of the money and pays his workers by the hour or day. Either way the price is the same, Carlos is probably saving up for a Klipsch RF line HT ! [:P]