frznvarmint or other DBX expert...

Mallette

A while back I asked about anyone who could program a unversal remote for DBX 4BX and frzn sent an email address. I sent several and never got a response. I'd still really like to get one programed and am willing to pay.

Dang, I wish those who steal these things for resale would take an extra minute to locate the remote...[:P]

Any suggestions?

Dave

I'll admit to being a bit confused.

You have a 4bx and have no remote? You want to take a learning remote & program it to work for the 4bx?

I've got a 5bx, having never seen the remote for a 4bx I don't know all the differences. If you think the 5bx would work, send me the remote you want to teach and I'll do it for you.

Does that help?

Hey, hey, hey easy with the name callin'

The guy that does the custom DBX remote programming is Jim Gammel jamesgammel@yahoo.com the DBX stuff is tricky since they used proprietary codes and you also need repeaters to increment the volume, transition, and dynamics levels and that is not easy to do. Jim mastered it, he also did the 5BX-DS remote since I provided him one to clone at one point. You need to make sure to put 4BX Programmed Remote in the Subject line of the email or it will get dropped in junk or he will delete it. He could have changed his email address as well as I have not been in contact with him in years. You can try contacting him through his eBay account which may have a more current email address I think his handle is JamesGammel. You can also do a Yahoo or Google search on DBX 4BX Remote clone and you are sure to stumble upon one of his threads.

DBX 4BX remotes do pop up on eBay from time to time but certainly not with any regularity, they are rare! They sell for good money when they do sometimes $50, $70 or more.

If you come up empty on the above options you can contact Thang Ho at Musician's Service Center in San Jose, CA http://www.musicianservice.com (there phone number is listed on the site, I would call vs. email) the only place in the US that has some knowledge and experience with servicing the older DBX consumer products. He may by some very remote (no pun intended) chance have a remote or perhaps know where to get one. They bought the remnants of the the old DBX consumer group from The Soundwell in Berkely, CA who bought them from Gene Raymond who was the top Service Engineer for DBX consumer. DBX only ever offered depot service so the chances of finding parts for their consumer products is very, very tough.

Hope this helps,

The VT Varmit :-)

Thanks. I'd happily pay 70.00 for either a clone or the real thing. I am good at adjustments of DBX, but it is certainly easier from listening position.

What about docs? There are tweak adjustments on the back and such I'd like to know more about.

Dave

The adjustments in the back are for "High Frequency Transition Level" and the "Impact Release Rate" (speed at which drum attacks decay) they do make a very noticeable difference. They can be used to really dial in the performance of what you are listening to. I assume you don't have a user manual either since they are explained thoroughly. Jim will have those as will Musician's Service Center. I thought I had a .pdf copy but apparently I never made one and I no longer have a 4BX user manual.

No manual either. I did a search for a pdf, but only came up with an outfit that sells repros for about 20.00. I will pay that if I have to, but I'd be happier with a free or 2.00 download of a pdf.

I've sent another email to James as you suggested and tried to locate him on Ebay with no luck. Musicians Service Center's web page opens but it is blank on all tabs. Couldn't tell if there was a problem or whether it is being redone or something.

Dave

Here is a direct link to Musician's website. The phone numbers are listed right on the main page.

http://www.musicianservice.com/

Here is Jim Gammel's "About Me" page on eBay you should be able to use the "Contact Member" option by clicking his feedback rating.

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=jamesgammel

Crappy forum software errored out and led to double posts.

That link is to the same bunch of blank pages. Don't know what is up with them.

Anyway, thanks for the Ebay link to James. Maybe I'll hear from him. There was a 4BX with remote and manual at 125.00 with less than two days to go. I am sure it will go for twice that but it was tempting anyway. I'd like to get another for my Frazier 11 system where I am using a 3BX at the moment, but short of shekels for such niceties at the moment.

Dave

The original 3BX unit is all discrete circuitry (no IC's) many prefer it.

Maybe you can talk Coytee into try his 5BX-DS 5-Band Computer Controlled Dynamic Range Controller which is the cat's meow when it comes to studio processing. 5 individually adjustable bands of expansion/compression and 5 individually adjustable bands of impact restoration all under the control of a NEC microprocessor and fully remote controllable with 5 available memory settings for instant recall. I sold it to him and it is in immaculate shape. DBX consumer's finest processor still in very high demand to this day.

Contact Information for Musician's Service Center:

Musicians Service Center

379 Meridian Ave, San Jose, CA 95126

PH: 408-297-7532 Fax: 408-715-7530

tech@musicianservice.com

Ask for Thang Ho

• 1 month later...

Mallette,

Did you ever find a 4BX remote?

I'm in need of one too.

Vintage Audio Manuals has an outstanding quality product at reasonable prices.

I just bought a manual for a 4BX from him for $11.00 and I bought a 3BX manual from him a year ago. Top notch.

mike@vintageaudiomanuals.com

Not yet. The guy with the cloning service still has an Ebay store but does not respond. The Muscian's Service or whatever has a vistigial web site that doesn't tell you anything. I may give them a call...

Do you have a remote? Maybe I could locate a learning one and send it to you for programming.

Dave

According the Logitech website all the Harmony remote controls should support 4BX. I have several of their remotes but no DBX 4BX to test with. DBX is listed under the AV Receiver section and I selected DBX for the Manufacturer and then 4BX as the model and it came back with a green check which means there is "something" in their database.

Laters,

Jeff