Hybrid Trachorn

Guest David H

GotHover,

Nice job!

Did you cut the two wood pieces while they were lying down flat or did you elevate them and use a bandsaw (each method was described in the Edgar article. I know that cutting them flat leaves a very small gap that can be filed out or just filled in with caulk.

I have a 4' x 8' piece of 1/2" bendable plywood wood that a friend was goiing to throw away. I grabbed it for just this purpose.

I made a half template and mirrored it on a full sheet, then cut flat. The gap can be solved using adhesive back longboard paper wrapped around a piece of pvc then sanded with the 2 pieced held in the jig. Takes a while to sand, but I dont have a band saw so it will have to do for now.

Thanks. How big is the gap? It's pretty small, isn't it? If I go all wood, the gap shoudld be small and able to be filled in with caulk.

How much for a pair? I know you are not selling but I was just curious how much would you charge is one requested a pair from you?

I am building a couple pairs for freinds right now. If I get them to look really good I will consider building for forum members.

I would guestimate about $200 labor plus materials if I can get them the way I want. Materials are approx $85

Thanks. How big is the gap? It's pretty small, isn't it? If I go all wood, the gap shoudld be small and able to be filled in with caulk.

Here is a link to a post I did a while back on builing a 225 hz tractrix horn. If you follow it through you will see how I dealt with the gap on my all wood horns.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/93132.aspx

Jeremy

I have done some side by side listening tests using the k400 as the reference.

Other horns used were the Hybrid plexihorn Goldwood horn and dampened masonite/woodhorn.

K400 lacks detail, not as open as the other horns tested.

Goldwood 500hz horn has great detail however is harsh, exhibiting high levels of sibilance.

Plexihorn and Woodhorn almost indistinguishable from each other both having greatly improved detail over the K400, The Hybrid plexihorn is a touch brighter yet not overbearing.

post-24405-13819417688578_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest David H

I currently have 4 sets of these trachorns being used and all parties are pleased, including a forum member that has a selection of horns to compare to including the Altec 511.

I have 2 sets being used in Cornscala's here is a pic of a near completed Cornscala-S

post-24405-13819418734046_thumb.jpg

Now's a good time for me to report on my new trachorns. I did a side-by-side comparison of my Altec 902's (GPA), one with the new trachorn, and one with a 511B (LaScala low end). I ran them two-way w/my DIY AP12's crossed at 700Hz with high-end contouring. Since I plan on eventually running a three-way set-up, I wasn't concerned about high-end extension.

In my opinion, the 511's only bested the trachorns in high-end extension, so would be better for a two-way set-up (again, not a concern for me). The 511/902 combo sounds laid back and a bit lean, the trachorns are more forward and warm, while not sacrificing a bit of detail. Definitely more to my liking. I was considering sending the 902's down the road, but after setting them up w/ the trachorns and listening for a couple of days, I'm definitely holding onto them. Wonderful combination. Can't wait to get some new tweets and build some new networks. Thanks again GotHover.

Guest David H

I am thrilled that you like the Trachorns, I was a bit concerned about how they would compare to ever so popular Altec 511, but it appears they can hold their own. Thanks for the report.