Hybrid Trachorn

Guest David H

May I ask how you made the plastic soft enough to bend. I was thinking of using hot water.

Gil,

I don't think hot water will work too well. It might, but I don't think you will get it hot enough to work.

I once used a heat gun (hair dryer might work), and just kept moving the flow of air over the acrylic until I could bend it.

Bruce

The process is actually complex. I had to make a mold to bend the plexiglass over after I got it warm enough to become plyable.

For heating I started off using a heat gun but it takes too long and the heat is to concentrated, so I am now using a Farberware, it basically an electric barbeque. I heat the plexi until it starts to sag, then flip it a few time until it doesnt hold its shape well, the place it in the former til it cools and screw it in place.

post-24405-13819417568246_thumb.jpg

Farberware electric BBQ. Make sure and pull the covering before heating, if you dont the covering may become permanent.

Assembly although basic is very time consuming. I have made numerous mistakes. But all well worth it, the horns sound fantastic.

post-24405-1381941757676_thumb.jpg

It was slow when I used a heart gun, but doable. I had envisioned more of what you did, figuring you would have to pull it over a form of some kind. I was visualizing a side bender used for making guitar sides.... Hmmmm

Very cool, though, no matter what route you took.

Bruce

GotHover,

Nice job!

Did you cut the two wood pieces while they were lying down flat or did you elevate them and use a bandsaw (each method was described in the Edgar article. I know that cutting them flat leaves a very small gap that can be filed out or just filled in with caulk.

I have a 4' x 8' piece of 1/2" bendable plywood wood that a friend was goiing to throw away. I grabbed it for just this purpose.

GotHover,

Nice job!

Did you cut the two wood pieces while they were lying down flat or did you elevate them and use a bandsaw (each method was described in the Edgar article. I know that cutting them flat leaves a very small gap that can be filed out or just filled in with caulk.

I have a 4' x 8' piece of 1/2" bendable plywood wood that a friend was goiing to throw away. I grabbed it for just this purpose.

I made a half template and mirrored it on a full sheet, then cut flat. The gap can be solved using adhesive back longboard paper wrapped around a piece of pvc then sanded with the 2 pieced held in the jig. Takes a while to sand, but I dont have a band saw so it will have to do for now.