Jubilee's- Just getting started- HELP!

electricpisa

I've been lucky enough to acquire 3 Jub base bins and I just brought them home tonight!.......Unfortunately, that's where my luck/knowledge stops[:S]

I've listened to Klipsch speakers (Classic KG's) for over 10 years and wouldn't see myself with anything else.....However, I'm walking down a path that I'm not familiar with, and doing my best not to get lost.....

So here's where you come in.....I'm looking for some direction. I haven't even listened to these because I'm not sure what my next step is![:'(]

1) I've been told from a reliable source that I should use something like a Crown XTI-1000. If I purchase this, will it work as my crossovers and my amp all in one?

2) Is the Crown XTI-1000 a good choice and what are you using if you have the Jubs?

3) I currently have an amp (Sansui AU9500) and a tuner (Sansui TX9500), but am concerned if I listen to these that I could possibly harm the woofers (K31-K's) since there aren't crossovers in them?

I know that when I'm done with this journey I will have K402/69's on these base bins......But for the moment, I'm saving my cash! I have asked my wife to take my name off the children's college fund....Just in case I get weak.[A]/[6]......[:P]

I'm a fast learner, and have already learned a lot from this forum during the the week I have been a member........For that I thank you!

Electric

I've been lucky enough to acquire 3 Jub base bins and I just brought them home tonight!.......Unfortunately, that's where my luck/knowledge stopsTongue Tied

I've listened to Klipsch speakers (Classic KG's) for over 10 years and wouldn't see myself with anything else.....However, I'm walking down a path that I'm not familiar with, and doing my best not to get lost.....

So here's where you come in.....I'm looking for some direction. I haven't even listened to these because I'm not sure what my next step is![:'(]

1) I've been told from a reliable source that I should use something like a Crown XTI-1000. If I purchase this, will it work as my crossovers and my amp all in one? Yes, the Crown XTi series amps will do crossover, delay correction and equalization - all for about $400/speaker (assuming 2-way bi-amping with something like a K-402/K-69-A horn on top).

2) Is the Crown XTI-1000 a good choice and what are you using if you have the Jubs? I use XTi-1000s and have zero complaints - in fact, it's pretty spectacular.

3) I currently have an amp (Sansui AU9500) and a tuner (Sansui TX9500), but am concerned if I listen to these that I could possibly harm the woofers (K31-K's) since there aren't crossovers in them? It's difficult to harm the woofers - but you can harm your ears...

I know that when I'm done with this journey I will have K402/69's on these base bins......But for the moment, I'm saving my cash! I have asked my wife to take my name off the children's college fund....Just in case I get weak.Angel/Devil......Stick out tongue

I'm a fast learner, and have already learned a lot from this forum during the the week I have been a member........For that I thank you!

Electric

Chris

Chris,

Does this mean you need to buy an amp/crossover for each speaker or are you saying that I could use qty 1- XTI-1000 for all 3 including their mids?

As far as hooking them up today to my existing system, it shouldn't be any problem? Would it even sound that good considering I'm not using anything other than the woofers?

Thanks!

Electric

Does this mean you need to buy an amp/crossover for each speaker

Yes, presuming you go 2-way. If you want the ability to mix/match amps, you might look into the more expensive option of the Dx38 active or perhaps go passive. (most Jubilee owners have gone active but there are some that have gone passive)

I could use qty 1- XTI-1000 for all 3 including their mids

Nope, don't think that would work properly

As far as hooking them up today to my existing system, it shouldn't be any problem?

From what I've gathered, you've got 3 bass bins? Although they go pretty high up for bass bins, I don't think you'd like what you'd hear from a serious lisetning point of view.

Would it even sound that good considering I'm not using anything other than the woofers?

Seems I got ahead of myself on the prior question [:P]

For the sake of curiosity, go ahead & wire up the bass bins & see what happens...

I once stuck a pair of Heresy's on top of my bass bins (although I did use my active xover and cross at 80 hz to them)....anyways, it sounded pretty killer. The Heresy's used their passives and the Jubilee bass bin used the active.

You've got a lot more play room with the active but buying new, the Dx38 is about 1,200 smackers. you can find them used on ebay from time to time for maybe 600 to 800. There are other active xovers out there. I think most of us (I'll speak specifically for me) bought the Dx because it's what Roy uses and I knew if I had any questions on how to screw it up...er...I mean use it, he could probably help me how to fix it.

Fortunately, the Dx38 is pretty easy to use.

(I also now have a passive in my hands so I can play around both ways)

So, I would use a DX-38 for each 2-way......

Today I coincidentally located a local guy that has about 8 of these from a band he used to have. He said he'd sell them to me for $500 each or I think he'd make me a deal on the bunch....Assuming they work and are in good condition. It sounds like buying 3 of these would be the way to go huh?

This only takes care of the crossovers then I assume, I would still need to come up with an amp or use my existing Vintage Sansui.

So using the Crown XTI-1000 would be the combination of the crossover and amp, but you'd recommend the DX and a separate amp instead....

Am I understanding correctly.

Thanks.....

So, I would use a DX-38 for each 2-way......

one dx 38 will do two twoway systems.

Today I coincidentally located a local guy that has about 8 of these from a band he used to have. He said he'd sell them to me for $500 each or I think he'd make me a deal on the bunch....Assuming they work and are in good condition. It sounds like buying 3 of these would be the way to go huh?

This only takes care of the crossovers then I assume, I would still need to come up with an amp or use my existing Vintage Sansui.

So using the Crown XTI-1000 would be the combination of the crossover and amp, but you'd recommend the DX and a separate amp instead....

one crown would do one twoway system.

Am I understanding correctly.

Thanks.....

take care,

roy

• Like 1

Roy,

I got the email and will be going with the K402's...I probably will go with used DX's because I think I can get 3 for just about the price of 1 new one.....

I need to get the crossovers so I can play with them.

By the way, I sent you an email....The S/N on one of the units says PTJUBLF012 0001 and the model number is KPT-JUBILEE-LF.

Any info you can share??

P.S. They are the K31-k's like you had mentioned.

Thanks,

(3) Jubilee LFs and now EV DX38s for $500!!!!

Do you ever play the lotery?

mike tn[:D]

I will contact him to see if he still has all 8 left......Is there a certain amp I should be looking for assuming its not tube at the moment?

As far as the Jubs...Is there any advantage or disadvantage from the early models to the newer models?

Thanks!Stick out tongue

as to amps, up to you. as to jubs, some minor build changes but not performance.

• Like 1

I've got to admit....It's been a GOOD weekWink.......and YEP, I won $20 today on a $2 ticket since you're asking.

If you think you might be interested in one of the DX's, I will let you know.

Thanks

Man this so funny![:D]

I might be interested in a spare EV DX38 if in good cosmetic/working condition.

Thanks!

mike tn