Chinese Tube Amp Stuff! - Opinions Please!

Kenhorns

I would appreciate the valued input and opinions from Forum Members on the equipment offered for sale by Hong Kong Retailer/Exporter "On9Mart".

www.hi-end.on9mart.com/index.html

They seem to offer low priced tube gear, with very expensive shipping from Hong Kong to USA. They also advertise and offer their equipment on eBay, both Auction and Buy it Now terms. Some of the auction stuff is tantalizing ... meaning the opportunity to buy something that supposedly sells for $500.00 for $100.00 plus $250.00 shipping, for example.

Do any of you folks have any experiences with any of this gear? I expect to find that most of us - just don't know - but whaddayathink?

Your opinions on the Pros and Cons of it? Would you gamble on buying any of it?

Thanks

If you can download schematics you might post them to the technical forum. Erik Mandaville, Mark Deneen, and others on this list have a masters level of expertise at these things and understand both the designs as well as the labor involved in building them. It is always possible they are building classic designs. If so, then the value can be determined quite readily.

Dave

PS - If you can't obtain a schematic you are buying either a silk purse or a sows ear and won't know until you get it.

There's the good and there's the questionable. The kits seem to be easier to tell exactly what you're buying.

Some of the things I found out is that those nice transformer cans are not potted transformers....there're covers for small transformers.

Also seen some large value caps which contained smaller incorrect vlaue caps inside them.

If your going to spend 600 bucks, I'd throw that money towards some used american gear.

Great Idea on the schematic request, Dave. I just emailed them requesting 3 for various products - let's see what response we get. I would love to have Mark's and Eric's opinions here. I sure hope they see this and respond.

Good points Speakerfritz! Kinda like Melamine in the Milk, huh?

I have had an Onix Sp-3 and loved it, Currently I am running a Dared VP-20 that I am extremely pleased with, The original tubes were not very good but I replaced them with the Electro-Harmonix RCA Blaclk Plate replica's.

On9Mart responded with the attached schematic for the Yaqin MC10L. Can someone give us an opinion on the "quality" of the circuit, please?

The schematic won't tell you much about build quality.

Individual bias is a good feature to have.

The power supply caps voltage are adequate.

The bias supply volatge caps are adequate.

I have no experience with on9mart.com, but I do with one brand they carry (which, on their site is a no-name house brand). On their homepage on the right side column, scroll down to "Brand: Other"...the last three monoblock amps at the bottom of that page (KT88, 300B and EL34) are not named here but are designed and built by Edmund Lam (aka: Lam Ying Wing) of Hong Kong of the once known "BEZ" brand, at least on his eBay auctions years ago (no longer a member). There is a Chinese website devoted to his many amp and preamp creations (including schematics): http://www.bezdz.com/cpj1.htm, but you'll have to hunt 'n' peck thru links made up of Chinese characters to see images.

Although they appear on the above BEZ website, I believe both the SET amp and SRPP preamp I've owned since '03 are long discontinued. Even so, they're still quite functional and perform exceedingly well despite their affordability. I have never auditioned any other BEZ components other than the two I won on eBay and I still use today, but from the longevity and reliability of my BEZ Model Q4B 6SN7 line stage pre and its companion Model T3B 300B SET stereo amp, I can safely say that I'm extremely satisfied with his products and their sound quality!

I know there are way better well-known Chinese brands out there that use premium parts and sound like a million bucks, but from what I've heard over the years with the use of NOS American tubes, I'd recommend the BEZ products (or house brand on the on9mart site) to anyone looking for reliable, affordable Chinese tube gear.

Just my two cents...

I hate to even say this but: you cannot listen to a schematic! There is only one test for HI-FI equipment, listening. Some cheap *** Chinese gear can sound excellent and some expensive gear can sound awful. I don't know how we made it through the 70's.......... some of that stuff was nasty. Let your ears be your guide.

Flame away, thanx.

Naturally, that stuff is all over the 'bay. Full tube amps can be had for as little as 50 bucks direct from Hong Kong, 40 of which is shipping. That alone tells me to stay away. Plus, I really don't like buying stuff that is made in another country. It looks questionable to me..

I really don't like buying stuff that is made in another country. It looks questionable to me..

Does this also include Germany, Sweden, Norway, France, Belgium...? The list could go on and on. Or only from China?

That would also mean you ignore certain Klipsch products. The Chinese can make a product as good as the exporter, U.S. importer wants to pay for. It is what Americans want. We want the quality without the usual pricetag. You can get it, due to lower cost labor in China. Obviously, some of it is terrible, but some of it is really good.

Bruce

Naturally, that stuff is all over the 'bay. Full tube amps can be had for as little as 50 bucks direct from Hong Kong, 40 of which is shipping. That alone tells me to stay away. Plus, I really don't like buying stuff that is made in another country. It looks questionable to me..

Could you post a link to one of these $50 tube amps?

The Onix was $1100 new but I picked it up for $475 used. It exceded my expectations. If you quit buying products from other countries you wouldn't have much.

I mean exactly what I said. Of course, it's not possible in this day and age to buy everything made here in the US, but I try as much as I can to do so. Here's a link. I guess I was a little wrong on the shipping part...

http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQLHQ5fLocatedInZ92QQLHQ5fLocatedInZ92QQ_sopZ15?_nkw=tube+amplifier&_sacat=293&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=amplifier&_osacat=293

At the 2006 Pilgrimmage, I believe the 60th anniversary KHorns were playing CDs with a Cayin hybrid tube/solid state CD player? Seems like it had a motorized volume control with a standard IR remote control. Sounded pretty good. Anyone else have any impressions of this setup?