Have you switched to Blu Ray why or why not?

EM3

Well, I went Blueray just yesterday. I picked up a used (3 months) PS3 40 GBhd. I have wanted BR for a while now and with the consistant comments about the PS3 being among the best and fastest players in it's price range I went for it.

I wound up paying $400 for it, yes this is what NEW 80GBhd units sell for but it came with an extra wireless controller, ($50) and 5 games (~$40 each) that according to my son 3 of which are in very high demand. There was a StarWars game (only been out a month I think) GTA4, Metal Gear solid 4, Sonic and another one that I can't remember at the moment. He was located about 80 miles from my house but said he was comming my direction yesterday to take a friend home that was visiting for the weekend. He had stated that his new wife was expecting and that the game had to go due to bills and the wife getting on him for playing so much.

So he came to my house with the game and a very pregnant wife! He set up the system and let my son play with it for a while to check it out. When it was clear that there was no way this system was going back with the guy I handed him the money and all was well. He said that he had not regestered the warranty yet and that he would send us the UPC code and info so we could have the warranty in our name.

My son stayed up all night playing, I went to bed at my normal 9:pm and was up for work at 3:00 AM and he was on the last level of the lowest skill level of the StarWars game, I guess this is why the guys wife was on him about playing, man, that thing is a time waster for sure!

I will be stopping by Monoprice this afternoon to pickup a 30' HDMI to DVI cable for the HT and a 2 meter HDMI to HDMI so that the PS3 can be easily moved from the HT to the 50" Sony and back, depending on where it will be needed. Monoprice is only a slight detour on my way home from work so we will have the BR player setup tonight, I guess that means I need to pick up a BR movie or two so I have some media to "test" with!

I know the Picture Quality on the Sony RP was outstanding, I can't wait so see what it will be in the HT, with all the new codecs available on the new Yamaha receiver in there!![:D]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally gave in and purchased a Sony BDP-S550 Blu-Ray player and replaced the Denon DVD-2900. The S550 had everything I wanted/needed the 7.1 analog outputs specifically that are not on the S350 nor on the bigger model. Wanted the Denon Blu-ray but the lower end model only has a single HDMI output and that was not going to work for me and the bigger one only had 5.1 outputs - No thanks.

I went ahead and got some super nice HDMI cables at monoprice.com thanks to forum member recommendations so now the Sony and my DirecTV HD receiver feed the Plasma via HMDI and the NAD AV Pre/Pro handles all the audio switching.

Rented the Incredible Hulk in Blu-Ray and loved the picture and sound. The sony felt like a cheap junky toy in comparison the Denon 2900 but don't let that fool you the performance is top notch. I have my high speed connected to the ethernet connection for the BD live content and the 1GB onboard storage comes in handy. Got a fabulous deal on Amazon.com on it like $318. It makes standard DVD's look great to since it bumps them to 1080i via the HDMI output. I am happy with the purchase.

Can't wait for a great movie like Wall-E or Horton Hears a Who to really check it out.

The Panasonics are excellent machines.

"Wanted the Denon Blu-ray but the lower end model only has a single HDMI output..."

That's the one I use. I sure wouldn't call it lower end - it costs less then some of the other models because it's not a full blown player -- it's a transport -- which is all you really need if your processor or receiver is doing the decoding. I think a $1000 is a good chunk of change for a transport, and there's nothing lower ended about it!

post-3205-13819426702872_thumb.jpg

From this, the only difference is Price/labor warranty time............

Sony BDP-S550 BD-Live Blu-ray Disc Player Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray Disc Player Samsung BDP-1500 BD-Live Ready Blu-ray Disc Player Samsung BDP-1500 BD-Live Ready Blu-ray Disc Player Samsung BDP-1500 BD-Live Ready Blu-ray Disc Player

Sony BDP-S550 BD-Live Blu-ray Disc Player

Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray Disc Player

Samsung BDP-1500 BD-Live Ready Blu-ray Disc Player

Price

$399.99

$299.99

$249.99

after $50.00 savings

3 months no payments & no interest purchases $249+
3 months no payments & no interest purchases $249+