Help me pick top-end speakers!

bigcityfalcon

Greetings fanatics.

I need your help choosing top-end speakers for my HT system! Price is not a restriction - this is what I worked all my life for. However, if you suggest something outrageous in price, perhaps you can suggest a next-best alternative too. Then you have open invite to check it out at my condo in Atlanta!

I already have a couple of Pioneer Elite screens and receiver, a Kaleidescape too! Now I need dem awe-inspiring speakers.

The room is 30'x30'x15' high. It will be used equally for music and movies. I want lots of wow factor - something that will blow the minds of my guests!

Subwoofer(s): ?????

Front Speakers: ?????

Center speaker: ?????

Rear speakers: ?????

Thanks for your help you crazy hi-fi nuts.

The Palladiums are certainly more wife friendly, but how do they measure up to the sound of the Jubs?

Yep, they are more WAF. Regarding measuring up soundwise... what if I told you they were identical?

If they are identical in sound, the Palladiums cost about $20K for the two large speakers, the Jubilees are about $7,000 (before crossover expense) for a pair. So, add in maybe $1,500 for crossover and for kicks, add another $4,000 for a second amp (to biamp) and all the sudden a pair of Jubilees is $12,500. If you went passive then you might have $1,000 in parts but save the issue of another amp.

I know you can get another amp for less than 4K so now you can work backwards!!

In truth....sound wise? I own Jubilees. I've heard the Palladiums. I've heard them compared to one another and I've heard the pair in Atlanta. I'm biased since I bought the Jubilees (spirit of full disclosure)

In raw sound, I would take the Jubilee over the Palladum however, I would NEVER be unsatisfied with what I've heard the Palladium put out. it is one serious kick hiney speaker. I do think the Jubilee plays "larger". Not louder which it also probably does... but "bigger". I've never known how to describe that to anyone.

In price, I think it's a no brainer...

So, it really comes down to asthetics and your budget.

Here's an offer for you..... I live in Knoxville (actually about 30 minutes south of it) You are more than welcome to come by my place & spend the afternoon jamming. You will soon draw your own conclusins based upon your ears.

Serious offer. Lemme know

I want lots of wow factor - something that will blow the minds of my guests!

I missed this fine point....

I was originally going to have 2 Khorns in front (LaScala center) and 2 LaScalas in the rear for my HT. I sold the Khorns, still have the LaScalas BUT have now debated on simply forgetting all about HT and keep life simple with 2 channel Jubilees.

Ideally, I'd like to have Jubilees all around but that simply won't happen in this room/house.

If you really have that much space and allowable budget then if you really want to blow their minds sonically (verses asthetically) then it's simple.... order 5 Jubilees along with a Klipsch sub (out of their cinema lineup) and be the envy of everyone (including all of us on the forum!!)

I do see a possible issue on the center channel though.....these are big and if you have a tv in front of it then you will have an issue

Thanks a lot for your help Coyotee! I'd love to check out your setup, I'll let you know if I can get away!

Space and aesthetics are a bonus, not a priority, but if the Palladiums are very close to the Jubs, I might have to spring the extra bucks for the WAF. Then I can have my cake and eat it too (literally). The P-39Fs are really beautiful, now I'm leaning that way.

You recommend a Klipsch sub over something like the Epik Conquest or even a Gotham?

Any recommend for the rear & center to go with P-39s?

Thanks again for your help - you lunatics have an open invite to check out my system in Atlanta when its done!

How about this set up:

Main L/R - Jubes w/ K510

Center - LS w/K510

Sides KPT 12 VB with a set of LS w/K510 to alternate between HT and music

Rear - KPT 1201's

Employ a complete active crossover/biamp across all channels. As for the sub the Epik Conquest would be very enticing in this setting,

I like your direction of thinking J.4, but I would definitely do the 402 on top. The 402 is where the magic is.

So . . . .

Jubilee with 402 for L/R Main

LS LF with 402 for center

KPT 12 VB side

KPT 1201 rear

KPT 884 sub

You can assemble an entire Jubilee / pro cinema system WITH electronics AND projector and screen for less than the price of one pair of Pals. PLUS, as Coytee (Richard) so eloquently points out, the Jubilee plays BIGGER.

If money is no object, and you need WAF, then have a cabinet maker finish the Jubilee with enclosed 402, or . . .design your room around the beauty of the pro Jub as I did.

If your goal is jaw-dropping, pant-filling sound, there is only one answer . . . .Jubilee.

Buy tools, not toys.

The above are the humble opinions of the author of this entry and not necessarily those of the management.

If money is no object, and you need WAF, then have a cabinet maker finish the Jubilee with enclosed 402,

Ding ding ding!!! [Y]

Trust me..... the Palladiums are fantastic sounding... I've nothing negative to say about them. The Jubilees are simply in a bigger league (sonically). Go listen to the Pal's and then lets get together up here for a day of listening on a Saturday or Sunday. I'll give you the 'keys to the system' and you can do what ever you want.

Only then will you have an idea of each pros/cons. It would be best if you could do the listening in the same environment but unless you bring some Palladiums with you......[;)]

Oh... I might add...you've heard about putting the K402 or K510 on top of a LaScala to make a JubeScala.... I've got 3 LaScalas, so during this event, we could easily slap a 402 (which is the only way to go if it's really cost no object) on a laScala and you can hear them too.

I've dumped my tube amps but I've got a solid state preamp (Lexicon) and a tube preamp (Peach). You could listen to both or pick your flavor. Currently, solid state amps are either Crown (two K2's) or dbx BX3 (4 channel)

No pressure, I just want to be sure you realize it's a bonafide offer.

I like your direction of thinking J.4, but I would definitely do the 402 on top. The 402 is where the magic is.

So . . . .

Jubilee with 402 for L/R Main

LS LF with 402 for center

KPT 12 VB side

KPT 1201 rear

KPT 884 sub

You can assemble an entire Jubilee / pro cinema system WITH electronics AND projector and screen for less than the price of one pair of Pals. PLUS, as Coytee (Richard) so eloquently points out, the Jubilee plays BIGGER.

If money is no object, and you need WAF, then have a cabinet maker finish the Jubilee with enclosed 402, or . . .design your room around the beauty of the pro Jub as I did.

If your goal is jaw-dropping, pant-filling sound, there is only one answer . . . .Jubilee.

Buy tools, not toys.

The above are the humble opinions of the author of this entry and not necessarily those of the management.

Yeah I heard the K402 in a singe Jub in Hope in 06.....WOW!!!!, I have not heard the Jub with a K510, however I gotta ask how much do you think you'd really suffer with 5 K510's in play. My issue is the K402 is aesthetically a detractor if used with a LS bass bin and not hidden. The K510 can be built into a LS top section. The K402 looks good on a Jub bass bin and the K510 looks too small on it. How much of a timbre mismatch would exist if say the Jubes were set up with K402's and the LS set up with K510's while using K69 drivers?

• Moderators

I have also heard both and also have my choice, so probably the best advice I could give would be find some Pal's and give a good listen, then give Coytee's a listen and decide for your self.

Both are VERY good but to me it's an easy choice if you can live with the looks of the Jubs, the sound has wow factor to spare. ( or dress them up yourself)

If pretty is required instantly Pals would be my next choice easily, but they do cost much more.

Just another opinion [Y]