Hornification

Albatross

What does a LaScala person do about bass? I've never heard them and don't have room to put them in the corners to add bass response. Is there a mod on the LS for bass?

For most types of music, La Scalas really benefit from the help of a subwoofer, but then so do most other speakers. You don't need to put La Scalas in the corners. That's one of their advantages.

There is a bass reflex mod that you can search for on the forum, but it doesn't give the same performance as an actual sub.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the great posts...how many of you are gamelan fans? I have to say it is an interesting instrument, however, I do perfer the sitar or even the santoor . Anyway, I am seeing a pair of La scalas from the early 80's for $600.00 in my neighborhood...they are a little "used looking" but they are said to be operational. I always thought I'd get Cornwalls because of the bass and then add the La Scala horns. Can any La Scalanator out there give me a reason and a push towards these. Any additional benefits of La Scalas over Cornwalls other than sensitivity and midrange sweetness (obviously that can be enough)? What does a LaScala person do about bass? I've never heard them and don't have room to put them in the corners to add bass response. Is there a mod on the LS for bass?

To make the Jubscala What do the two horns choices run $? The driver for these horns is a Klipsch, but is it an Eminence or Atlas product bought by Klipsch or is it proprietary?

I don't see going wild with digital devices for time alignment, unless it makes one see God. What are the more natural ways of time aligning with the Jubscala?

Thanks All !!!

I find that if I want to listen to Indian or sitar music I must do it alone. People run. I really like Balinese percussion.

I would go for La Scala over Cornwalls because it is fully horn loaded. Even if the La Scala doesn't go as low I feel the bass is of higher quality but this is a taste factor. The bass is so clean fast and accurate in the fully horn loaded systems. I think the genius of PWK was his fully horn loaded systems like the Jubilee, Klipschorn, MWM, Belle and La Scala. The horn increases efficiency of the woofer so it doesn't have to work as hard. Remember "if it moves it distorts". For that price I would pick them up and upgraded them IF needed.

Any speaker benefits from corners but it is not required. There is a La Scala bass mod but I have never heard it. Try searching the forum. It looks cool and fully revearsable. I would listen for a while before going with time alignment. I'm also not sure why it is called a JubScala or CornScala as they don't have a folded bass horn :(

Good luck.

Love the Gamelan orchestra, monkey chant's amazing as well. We had a Balinese troup come and perform a shadpw puppet play (large scale, puppets, people, and incredible backgrounds), accompanied by a live gamelan orchestra. Easily one of the top ten best shows I've ever seen.

Any speaker benefits from corners but it is not required. There is a La Scala bass mod but I have never heard it. Try searching the forum. It looks cool and fully revearsable. I would listen for a while before going with time alignment. I'm also not sure why it is called a JubScala or CornScala as they don't have a folded bass horn :(

Good luck.

Talkin about this: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/104516.aspx

Posted Image

I'm also not sure why it is called a JubScala or CornScala as they don't have a folded bass horn :(

The La Scala (or JubScala) bass bin sure looks like a folded horn to me:

You are so right I typed befre thnking. Duh! It sounds great as well especially with tad drivers. Sorry for the misinfo.

Good luck. 

bass_ext.jpg

That is the one. The oris horn guys like this mod. I haven't heard it or seen measurements. It rumored to sound nice. They also add bracing to the bass bin.

Good luck.

bass_ext.jpg

That is the one. The oris horn guys like this mod. I haven't heard it or seen measurements. It rumored to sound nice. They also add bracing to the bass bin.

Almost flat to 30Hz. The bracing in the mouth of the LS bin is optional. 4" diameter ports approx. 7 inches long. The box is 10"high. Take the bottom off the LS, and with gasket material between them, the weight should hold them together.

Bruce

Hi Pat,

I went back and looked at the picture of your speaker...is the port where the k400 used to be closed up and replaced by the K510 on top of the cabinet? It looks like the hole in the K510 is 2", is it a midrange that goes in there? I also don't see any driver in your K510, is there one in there? Thanks for the info.

When I first got the Scalas, I put a grille cloth over the midrange horn because I thought it looked and sounded better. Now the original mid horn and tweeter are disconnected, along with the original AA crossover.

The tweeter is connected directly to the treble power amp and the woofer is connected directly to the bass power amp. Both amps are connected to the outputs from the Electro-Voice Dx38 processor, which is connected to the Pre Outs from the receiver.

The 510 does have a 2" throat and behind it is a Klipsch K-69A driver. It's a tweeter that's able to go low enough into the midrange to meet the woofer, so there's only one crossover point to deal with, around 475Hz.

Here's a side view of the 510/K-69. You can also see the K-55V original midrange driver in the cabinet and how much smaller it is than the K-69A. The 510 is resting on a block of Styrofoam that I used to hold up its front end until I was able to have some proper stands made up. The stands were needed because the 510s are meant to be bolted down onto the bass bin in a theatre application, but I preferred not to drill any holes in the lids of my La Scala cabinets.

post-23736-13819419488712_thumb.jpg

Is the K69 proprietary to Klipsch or is it farmed out...if farm...does anybody know the brand and #?

The K-69A driver may be available from its manufacturer, but as far as I know, the K510 horn is a Klipsch proprietary design, by Roy Delgado, the head engineer who co-designed the Jubilee with PWK. It's described as a modified tractix horn.

Is the K69 proprietary to Klipsch or is it farmed out...if farm...does anybody know the brand and #?

I don't remember who makes it but I think it's made for them. It's essentially a clone of the BNC (forget model) driver. I've heard them both side by side and I personally wouldn't pay the extra money for the BNC (or is it B&C?) driver. The B&C might sound a bit better but it's 4 instead of 3 shakes of salt difference. Now, on the other hand, the TAD 4002 driver? Yikes, that was a wonderful difference!! but again, Yikes!! it's very expensive.

The driver Klipsch makes in house is the K1132 if I recall. I think it's the only one.

The TAD's look interesting ,but a tad too much for my pocketbook...I think I'm seeing them for $1200 a piece, am I right? That reminds me, I need to go get a lottery ticket. Despite it being overspendy for me right now, I like to know this info for my dream system...hey , you never know.