4awg speaker wire?

southflorida

I have a bunch of rockford fosgate 4 guage pure copper cable that I had used in a car amplifier setup, that I would like to utilize if it will produce adventagous results for my front left, right and center. Rockford sells the platinum covered spades as well so that I could harness these "garden hoses" to the amp and speakers

Is this extreme over kill? Will this degrade the sound vs. just using the monoprice 12awg? Your input will greatly help.

I also want to thank everyone that gave there input on helping me with
my 7.1 surround speaker choice. I ended up picking up a pair of
rs-7's. Special thanks to InVenTor for turning me on to monoprice.com
for speaker and hdmi cables. I just ordered 250ft for wiring the rear
and rear surrounds.

PS. I also just picked up an Onkyo tx-sr805 to run everything (this will replace my Pioneer 7.1 VSX-d812 receiver (used as pre/pro) and rotel rmb-1066 6 ch amp) Pioneer is now for sale.

Hey, why not? That way you'll know there is no excess resistance in your speaker cables.

BTW, I'm using 8 gauge for my woofers and 10 gauge for my tweeters in a bi-amped setup. Sounds good to me.

Because of the weight of those cables, you'll want to support them somehow, so they're not tugging on the connectors. I looped mine around the support bracket of the K400 horn to take the weight off the connectors.

Let us know if you can hear the difference. Drumbeats and handclaps and those kinds of transient sounds would be where the low resistance is most noticeable.

won't anything except give you almost no resistance from the amp to the speaker. shouldn't change the sound even a little bit. all the resistance does is make the AVR or amp work harder to get the speaker the volts/current. now if you compared the 4awg to a 26awg, then you should have some sound differences. from 12awg to 4awg....nah....impossible to hear. (IMOP)

we have the same AVR, quick question, does your have a ground pin? i am a little shocked to see that mine is a simple 2 pin. the cord doesn't have a third pin option and the plug side is a simple 2 pin. i am thinking i got an avr that is really set up wrong.

In most cases, going up or down two sizes (18awg to 14awg, for example) will give an audible difference, although with the higher sensitivity of Klipsch speakers, it may not be obvious unless you go up or down three sizes of cable.

It is useless overkill,will not improve anything at all. If you had very long runns and at least an amp capable of 8KW per channel with speakers capable to take that much power maybe. A little VSX-812 ...10 or 12 guage is fine.

I use 10 guage 15 ft runns off Crown iTech6000 and QSC PL380 power amps capable per channel of more output two Pioneer receivers can on all channels.

Why not use the thickest wire thickness you can buy(used to send juice to automotive power amps. [:D]

i went back to the onkyo site and looked at all the processors, they all are 2 prong. i had mine hooked up, not to speakers, just pluged in, and man that beast gets hot just sitting in stand by. good thing i did put the holes in that et center i had built.