Are my speakers too efficient for my amp?

laager

Here's a curly one.

Cambridge Audio 640R, 2 x Cornwall III, 3 x Heresy III.

Now, the problem is not enough bottom end. However, let me clarify that. Not enough bottom end until the volume is past comfortable.

The 640R is a great unit. Sounds wonderful. In talking with other people that have used one with far less efficient speakers they have found it to be just fine. Needs to be cranked more (obviously) but it is very balanced to their ears and not lacking anything. However, due to the efficient speakers it is driving in my setup it does not need to deliver much power at all. I can be 13-20dB less on the dial for the same SPL, but bass is a bit weak until I'm at the same receiver level as them (just going deaf at that point).

Could it be that the 640R is a little light on bass at the lower end of its power delivery and it's not until more is being demanded of it that it delivers a balanced output?

If your going to play them loud and if your amp is manufactured in China ,chances are it might let dc voltage pass through which will destroy or pop your speakers. Use a commercial amp made in US preferably. It's worth to spend a few hundred or thousand dollars on a good amp.

Power is measured as 2X the speaker wattage. Under power amps could clip and destroy your HF drivers.

You will have better performance and ease of mind.

Chances are you have just chosen an amplifier that is not a good mate for the speaker system you're using. You'd be miles ahead if you first decide the speakers you will use and then ask folks using those speakers what they have had good luck with... sounds like you're a multi channel HT type listener so I'd suggest you visit that section of the forum and ask those guy's what works with your speaker setup.

I'm not sure what CONVERGENCE's posts is all about it sounds like you're trying to get away from running your system loud.

I use the system for music first, HT second. There isn't a problem in HT as I do have a sub - Velodyne DD-18. The sub is on during HT so any bass deficiency in the receiver is totally masked.

In relation to the amp possibly being mismatched to the speakers, I am aware of this. That's purpose of the question above. I'm trying to find some logical reasons for the potential mismatch.

Which model preamp and what are you using for the power amp stage?

Cambridge Azur 540a integrated.......Crown amps passively bi-amped........this budget integrated pre has an excellent sound....and for what I paid ($450) compared to other preamps I've owned, I am extremely pleased. [:D]

Chances are you have just chosen an amplifier that is not a good mate for the speaker system you're using. You'd be miles ahead if you first decide the speakers you will use and then ask folks using those speakers what they have had good luck with... sounds like you're a multi channel HT type listener so I'd suggest you visit that section of the forum and ask those guy's what works with your speaker setup.

I'm not sure what CONVERGENCE's posts is all about it sounds like you're trying to get away from running your system loud.

Some components just do not match well. I have respect for Cambridge but a 7 channel receiver weighing only 33 pounds seems a bit smallish. My Sherwod Newcastle 5 channel amp weighs over 70 pounds. Bass weight on horn speakers just does not "show up".

Only crazy thing I can think of is if your HT receiver resewt itself to main speakers as "small" perhaps.

Good Luck.

Rick