College people and their subs.

Jay481985

I was told today by someone I met through a friend that happens to work at magnolia bestbuy that I have lowpassed my subwoofer too low. I told him I cross at 80 hertz and he said omg thats tooo low!!! you should mesh your subwoofer with your midrange and cross at 250 hertz......

And then he did not want to hear it cause he said he is an electical engineer. He also made fun of the rf-83 frequency graph that sound and vision put up and said dude, its -5 db at whatever hertz!!!! that is unacceptable.

WOW, I have been doing it all wrong! LOL

Crossover at 250 Hz for a subwoofer YIKES that is too funny, have fun finding a receiver that has a crossover that goes that high! Yeah you know those RF-83's just don't have much bass of their own [*-)] The sound room in that Best Buy must sound real good.[8-)]

he claims to be an electrical engineer.... And then he goes on to say he got a 1600 watt subwoofer system in his car in which my response was What your car heater broken? In which he went huh? And I went well watts is only half the story. He goes it means its powerful..... then he links me to this newbie webpage and tells me to read up.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/subwoof.html

I've known a few people like that over the years.

I don't think most subs even play up to 250Hz - almost all the home theater ones I've seen go up to 120 or 150Hz max. Tongue Tied

It is probably one of those fine 8" Sony Subs. And for those of us who have ever walked into a Magnolia/Best Buy store know just how well the equipment is set up. They are the LAST people I would take audio advice from. Tell him to go back and enjoy his Deaf Tech's

Mine at 60 Htz...With the Klipsch KA 1000 THX AMP and and two of the THX 120 Subs. With La Scala's

I have tried it at various levels..but it seems really "dialed in" at 60. Maybe Doc Who can re test it, and see if I am right?

It just feels soo amzing right now.. Clean, solid, and in your chest powerful!!

I have never been happier too.

AND IT ROCKS!!!!

Im not sure what he meant........
I actually had dinner with him later that day just to clear out things.... First he knows only book smarts, did not know what t/s parameters were. Makes subwoofer according to their manufacturers suggested thing. Also he has pioneer spl subwoofers in his car, aka one noters designed for drag spl (loud as you can go in a car contest). Had no idea what passive radiators were. Though you can half the port size and not double the length. (halfing the size of the port means you need ~4 of them to be the same surface area to length) I dunno what else I missed since we talked for two hours. I had to tell him a lot of "new" stuff. BTW he wants to be a computer chip designer.

Mine at 60 Htz...With the Klipsch KA 1000 THX AMP and and two of the THX 120 Subs. With La Scala's

I have tried it at various levels..but it seems really "dialed in" at 60. Maybe Doc Who can re test it, and see if I am right?

It just feels soo amzing right now.. Clean, solid, and in your chest powerful!!

I have never been happier too.

AND IT ROCKS!!!!

Mine is at 80 hertz and dialed around the 12 o'clock position. I have my mains set as big.