Yes? Concert

bliss53

I've seen Yes twice. I am usually fine with veteran bands playing with different front men. I saw Journey recently with the new singer, and they did not miss a beat.

But, this is Jon Anderson we are talking about - the golden voice of rock. I do not think that Howe, Squire and White playing with a singer from a Yes cover band is really "Yes."

Do let us know what you think though.

Carl.

i didn't know they were on tour either. they cancelled last year's north american tour because of jon's health, they were saying it was asthma back then.

the report i read, the doctor had told him to take six-months off--i guess his recovery is slower than expected.

i hope you enjoy the show--would be hard for me to buy tickets if jon and rick weren't there though.

Yes is one of my favorites of all-time.

opening with Siberian Khatru- can't be bad.

Phenominal song! Whenever I had to do some housework, I always put on Siberian Khatru--for some reason, that song helped me get going. You're probably right though, it would still be a good show. I've seen Rick Wakeman without the rest of the guys and it was still a great show.

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2008/11/03/7286346-sun.html

just read this article about the tour. As a person with chronic asthma, i can understand how jon simply wouldn't be able to perform. there have been many a day that i could barely walk across the room. interesting note--they found this replacement singer on YouTube!

They've opened with Siberian at so many shows that the song just gives me goosebumps every time. It's on my list of 'songs to play at my wake'.

I checked out the tour schedule. Seats available for Cincinnati, Columbus OH, and Louisville. I wonder if Roger would want to do a road trip for a Yes show for our birthdays?

M

Surprisingly good concert. This was their third show. We saw them in a small venue which was great. The sound was good. We sat right in front of the mixing board location. Steve Howe was impressive. There were some sound mix problems that really pissed Steve off. He interrupted one of his acoustical guitar solos because he was not satisfied with the sound. The band was pretty tight. The harmonies were strong with only a few misses. The transitions were good. The new lead singer was not Jon but was still very good. He did not over play the part and his voice probably sounded very much like Anderson. It was not that hard to get by the stigma of imitation and get down to enjoying the music. I would recommend it highly especially if you can see them in a small venue. I think there is good chance they will get even better after a few more shows.

Thanks for your show review!

I just got tickets to the Cincinnati show the night after Thanksgiving. Just right of center, row R, on an aisle. Nice intimate theatre setting from the looks of the seating chart. $104 for 2 seats will all the fees. It'll be my only concert this year.

It'll be worth it to hear 'Siberian' one more time..... besides, with Entwistle gone, Squire is the undisputed king of rock bass guitar. Gotta see him again, it's been a few years.

M

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this show in Cincinnati the night after Thanksgiving. Good performance generally, some technical issues and they throttled way back on the volume. Chris Squire really led the show. Alan White was about as un-dynamic as I've ever heard him. The new guys did a good job of it, the vocalist nailed every note, Wakeman was considerably less spectacular than his father. Steve got snippy at the crowd for applauding and yelling a few bars early from one of his acoustic number. He just put the guitar down, didn't finish, went on to another song. His mood was shattered earlier in the evening when his main guitar had no volume during Siberian.

Still, a good time at a reasonable price. Just not what it used to be.

Surprises on the set list were two numbers from the Drama album (where the Buggles Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes joined with the band) and Machine Messiah was terrific. It was great to hear songs rarely played live before and Owner of a Lonely Heart is another Non-Anderson composition that was played spectacurarly here. There were a lot of songs that featured Steve and Chris, smartly. Squire also played both Fish and Silent Wings of Freedom, both bass guitar masterpieces.It was great to see Chris again, we walked to the front row for the final numbers and encores and since our aisle was straight across from him a few of us sang word for word the last few songs, included some of us taking on Squires harmony parts. Chris hammed it up for us big time.He truly does have sasquatch hands- his fingers thicker with age seemed to strangle the Rickenbacker at times.

There is a link on the Yes fan page to an interview with Chris about the new band and direction, including some notes about Jon's health.

Remember the single "Small Beginings" by the band Flash formed by the former guitarist for Yes, Peter Banks? By no stretch, he was as good a Howe. I saw Yes many times (Boston, Providence, New York).

The best concert for me was in Boston (year not sure?? but sometime in first half of 70s). Maybe sometime during the Relayer tour. Howe was absent due to illness. Trevor Rabin took his place and brought the house down with his playing. Anderson referred to him a "magic fingers". It was alot of fun.