joule otl, sound wonderful and pics added

joessportster

well i picked up the joule electra vzn 160 otl's and i have to say they sound absolutely wonderful but MAN THEY PUT OFF THE HEAT i had no idea they would be this hot while running

limited listening time so far but i can tell these are special amps, a brief history of my journey i started with a pair of phase linear 400 amps, moved to dynaco mark 3 monos, then on to vrd's, next was my journey into set starting with a pair of sun audio 2a3's,then welborne laurels 300B's, then a korneff 45, next was welborne 45 monos, canary 300B push pulls, deja vu 45 push pulls, welborne ultimate laurels 2, joule electra stargates and now the otl's i am sure i have left out a few other amps i know i had bottleheads, and a couple home builds etc... suffice to say it has been a long exciting journey with alot of learning along the way

speakers were somewhat of a long lineup as well but have ended up with talon khorus (for now), actually all of my system has made numerous changes over the years

current rig consists of

joule electra vzn 160's

joule electra lp 100 mk3 with ops 1 phono (not mine yet, i am trying to convince ouner to sell)

california audio labs alpha delta transport /dac

vpi aries with jmw 10, and a borrowed ortofon jubilee

talon khorus speakers

nothing special in the cables dept.

so what has this journey tought me, well there is a price point where nuance takes over and you really have to take into consideration what it is you are looking for when you contimplate new gear above that point, do you really feel like it is worth 1000.00 to get that last bit of the note as it decays, are you willing to pay for that extra bit of shimmer on the cymbals, do you really want to hear the artist take a breath in between words. this could go on and on but you get the point

i thought that i had met a point with amps that i knew what to expect when i hooked one up but the otl's have opened a new door however at the price of these beasts they will definately not be for everyone. it had seemed to me that all my gear above a price point was all more or less in the same league, some had better treble, some with better bass, some with sweeter mids, better soundstage, presence etc...etc...etc... but alll were equals in my opinion it simply came down to which nuance you personally preferred to be more forward (discernable) the otl does so many things better that they stand out from the crowd and this is with my initial evaluation from limited listening, one thing is sure i am actually wanting to turn on my system again and i have actually resumed work on my basement room in hopes of moving the gear to better diggs where i can spread out a bit and experiment with speaker placement. now i just have to hope i dont get bored again.

Joe

Congratulations on music through an OTL amp. They are a special breed. My Zana Deux is OTL and is one hot amp- sonically and temperature wise. I just added a PS Audio Power Plant Premier A/C regenerator to the system. This is a very worthwhile addition to my system. I do feel the OTL amp is sensitive to poor quality A/C. I hope you will keep us posted on further system observations.

David Pritchard

They are a special breed. My Zana Deux is OTL and is one hot amp- sonically and temperature wise. I just added a PS Audio Power Plant Premier A/C regenerator to the system ... I do feel the OTL amp is sensitive to poor quality A/C.

What are you driving with the Zana Deux? I'd never heard of them until your post. My search indicates it's a headphone amp, but are you using it with your speakers?

Joule's power handling seems to be pretty good, and I don't think much improvement is available in that area. Have you plugged your SACD player into the Premiere? The P-300 audibly improved the sound of my CDP.

Quoting Grainger over on the Bottlehead Forum

Tell Grainger that someone on the Klipsch forum said he's a deaf punk! (he's been to my house and me to his, so say it with a smile [;)])

Joe!!! Sounds like you like the OTL's. I've never heard any other OTL than the Transcendent SE-OTL's I had but sounds like you like the coolaid!! (I did too)

Note with all the other amps, there's one thing in common......?

The OTL experience is one reason that I figured I'd sell the McIntosh Mc 2012 and the Mc-30's.... no disrespect to the Mac's, they're clearly lovely amps. I just thought the little OTL experience I had gave more. (though the SE-OTL's had zero 'punch' at 4 watts, so that did them in)

Now I'm debating on OTL's again since I'm biamping.

The Zana Deux is primarily a headphone amp with those big 6C33C-B output tubes. It does have a line out and has had good reviews as a pre amp. I have heard tales of it driving efficient speakers. I will have to give it a try! I am enjoying using my Art Audio PX25 amp. It has really made my KLF-20's come alive and not just reproduce music. I have both my Marantz S1-11 SaCd player and the Art Audio amp plugged into the PS Premier. Before the power went through a PS Duet conditioner. I am really happy about adding the Premier Power Regenerator. I do not have a dedicated A/C power line to my listening room(yet?). The same improvement occurs when the Zana Deux is plugged in to the Premier. Next I will upgrade the wall outlet . The timbre of the instruments has really improved-violins with a Mozart quintet, mandolins played by David Grisman, and acoustic guitars by Jerry Garcia all improved.

Good listening to all.

David Pritchard

hey fender thanks,

im just hoping the economy doesnt force a sell, love the tag line by the way (warren zevon is great)

Joe

Ahhh...the economy...is that what you are planning on telling your wife when you get bored in three weeks and want to upgrade once again [6]

Shhhh! my wife still hasn't noticed the new VPI Aries Scout......."but honey remember when I sold the Rega all those months ago...it took this long to get the new TT..and what a bargain" [:-*].......thank the lord she watched me pack up an amp I just sold to make room for the BBX1.5 thats at JM right now ...or I might seriously be in the dog house....

I've always have been intrigued by OTL's...thats way in the future..........yes Zevon was awesome!!!

hey coytee

mine do not have xlr, however it is my understanding jud barber will do almost anything he can on his amps to accomidate his customers, and i am quite sure he would install xlr's on new or used gear

by the way i saw your response about the seotl, and they are great amps as you may or may not remember i had those as well but they honestly cannot compete with the joule electras, i actually have a pair of the seotl's setting here at the house (they belong to a friend and i beleive he is trying to sell them) of course there is no reason to beleive the seotl's should compete at aabout 17000.00 less new

Joe

An exciting journey indeed. Wish I lived within driving range, I would love to hear your Joule's, especially since I am also a fan of the 6c33 tube in my Bat. As you said you have been thru so many differnt amps you cant remember them all (wish I had such a problem [8-)]). Here's one you left out of your list - Conrad Johnson MV55, remember that one Joe? [;)] Great review joe please keep them coming too inspire & inform us less privlidged.

Cornman